cup o' ubuntu

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cup o' ubuntu

I was wondering how many people are using ubuntu in their car? Also has anyone figured out how to do login-less booting (typing gets really annoying in the car)? Thanks
    Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
    Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
    Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

I am using ubuntu in my vanagon. However, I am not using the ubuntu gnome desktop system. I am running X directly though a shell script. There is an 'auto-login' setting in the ubuntu login preferences, however which will probably do what you want.

Comment

That's very interesting that you are running x directly. Does that reduce the overhead? can you still use sleep and hibernate?

Thanks BTW about the automatic login. It works great!

Comment

It should reduce the overhead a bit, since it doesn't involve running gnome. But since I only have the one app running (my perldash program) it is just easier to avoid the complication and run X directly.

Comment

I've been wondering how to hack the startup scripts so certain programs boot up every time. If I could get that to work, I would like to try out the X thing. Any tips on how i could do this? Thanks

Comment

Im using (x)ubuntu in my car on a (loud ) 700mhz p3-m sub-note (got it free! ) soon to be connected to a lilliput 619 (or maby 629?). I have two partitions with seperate installs, one of which contains a cleaned up xubuntu install + open office for use as a note taking and work machine. Judging by the default xorg.conf, xubutu comes with several touch screens already setup. The secound partition contains only custom kernel + x + roadnav started by script. I may switch to gentoo for the 'car' partition as i would like the fastest route calculations in roadnav, not that i want to spend a week compiling stuff (distributed compiling anyone?).

Im very happy with this, it is considerably faster then the previous setup on the laptop of win2k + ms street and trips 200x.

The default ubuntu installs have worked pereftly out of the box and i would recomend anyone interested to try the live cd!

PS Anyone tried Edgy w/ a touch screen. Edgy contains some upgraded packages i need to compile RoadNav. Nevermind ill just burn a cd myslef and try it when the touch screen arives.

Comment

I am running (x)Ubuntu in my car on a Via Nano. For auto logins, you can go to System -> Administration -> Login Window -> Security Tab Select Enable Automatic Login
              Carputer Project Status:
              0% - Mobo died on 2/17/08
              Check out the worklog for my '01 Pathfinder.

Comment

Originally posted by kev000 View Post
                I've been wondering how to hack the startup scripts so certain programs boot up every time. If I could get that to work, I would like to try out the X thing. Any tips on how i could do this? Thanks
                You can do that in /etc/init.d

cd /path/to/file
                su username -c command file

for python file test.py as user testdude
                su testdude -c python test.py

Comment

Working...
                X