Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux GPS - Roadster

Hi everybody,

I just tried Roadster, finally after few hacks I was able to compile it, and actually the project looks really promising. It generates maps in same style as google's maps does. It uses tiger data, and works pretty fast on 1GHz machine.
    The project is really in early development state, but with little help it can become a native linux map solution. Gps and routing portion still needs to be done. GPS tracking, map centering, even map rotation to follow the route direction are pretty easy to implement, but routing seems to be more complicated, especially that Tiger data does not contain any information about one way roads, intersections, etc. Any ideas about routing algorithms?

heres the address for info and cvs: linuxadvocate[dot]org/projects/roadster/
    Attached Files
    EPIA TC 1G 256MB 60GB Linux,WindowMaker, Roadnav, Xine, XMMS, iGuidance3
    Lilliput 8", Pharos i360, WUSB11v2.6 WiFi

Very impressive! Linux can't have to many of these programs, esp. good ones . Can't wait to see it released!
    Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
    Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
    Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

Very nice. I have been using roadnav, but this looks a lot better.
      Carputer Project Status:
      0% - Mobo died on 2/17/08
      Check out the worklog for my '01 Pathfinder.

Comment

So I installed Roadster on xubuntu 6.06. It seems to work great with two exceptions.
        No matter what address I enter to locate, it always says can not locate address.
        Road names do not show as in the picture above, but if you click on the road, it does correctly identify it.
        Overall, it seemd to use far less resources than RoadNav, starts quicker and responds quicker. Speech works, but gets old very quickly of announcing every approaching intersection!
        Carputer Project Status:
        0% - Mobo died on 2/17/08
        Check out the worklog for my '01 Pathfinder.

Comment

Unfortunately, this project is now dead. It was very promising, but as many open source projects go, the person who started just doesn't have time for it. If there's anyone out there willing to take this project on again, I recommend they contact the author.

Comment

it's not dead, it moved to http://roadsterproject.wordpress.com/
            I don't need no stinkin' startup-shutdown controller... That's what journalized filesystems are for...
            NavSys, the ultimate navigation app
            http://www.navsys.org/

Comment

Wow, that's interesting. This must have happened after I talked to the author. Someone else must have taken it over?

Comment

Working...
              X