Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Navit - The OpenSource vector based navigation program with routing engine.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navit - The OpenSource vector based navigation program with routing engine.

Sounds great, neh?

See http://navit.sf.net

Need work, but it works!

Let me know if i can help with what i've learned from it yet..

Edit : See my post a little further. It had grown a lot..

NavIt. The Open Source vector based Navigation software with routing engine.

My 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee carputer project.

interesting

Comment

http://navit.sourceforge.net/?page=readme

nothing for north america
      Mazda 3
      Via Epia M10k w/ Lilliput 7"
      Gentoo,MythTV,iGuidance v3
      See the hardware and software

Comment

honestly, I am quite sceptic. Great goal, but I have seen so many failing on similar tasks.

Comment

would be cool if it could use OpenStreetMap data, too. but the commercial-data aproach is useful while OSM is building up.
          the developing process seems a bit frozen though with the most recent change dating 3 weeks ago, the next several months.

Comment

I guess the OpenStreetMap data will grow in size eventually, but it seems labor intensive at the very least.

Comment

of course it is, but it's also very rewarding in the end: imagine having free, editable maps of anywhere you can use for any purpose..

the labout intensiveness has just dropped, as yahoo allows us to use their satellite imaging to draw the streets, now we don't need to have been everywhere (see the map of baghdad for instance) - we can just trace it - we still need to check the names though, as it's not legal to take if from a copyrighted source (i.e. map)
              with this the number of potential contributors increased as not only people with gps' can take part.

i know there's a lot of ideology behind it but it's also a lot of fun!

Comment

Why not import maps using the free TIGER data provided by the government?

Comment

Originally posted by blk View Post
                  the labout intensiveness has just dropped, as yahoo allows us to use their satellite imaging to draw the streets, now we don't need to have been everywhere (see the map of baghdad for instance) - we can just trace it - we still need to check the names though, as it's not legal to take if from a copyrighted source (i.e. map)
                  You can take the names from any source, at least this is true in the U.S.
                  Copyright allows someone to prevent you from duplicating their work. They cannot prevent you from using their work as a data source.

Comment

TIGER is being imported,

to ensure that we aren't gonna get sued we'll stay on the safe side and not use any data from copyrighted source - even if it's hard/impossible to prove it, it's politically incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by LagunaICE View Post
                      honestly, I am quite sceptic. Great goal, but I have seen so many failing on similar tasks.
                      Actually, NavIt does require some more work, but it is usable yet.
                      I've been playing with it for 2 or 3 months now, and i found it to be the best opensource navigation system out there. I even used it recently for my holidays.

The main branch isn't too updated, but the guys are working on what they call the 'modular map' branch, which is early beta yet but will integrate more flexible data sources (like openstreetmaps).

There's also a work in progress for a SDL interface :
                      http://www.kazer.org/navit/gl_navit1.png

http://www.kazer.org/navit/gl_navit2.png

http://www.kazer.org/navit/gl_navit3.png

The plugin system got fixed recently, and you can now read POIs from mdb files or asc / csv.

The GUI needs some more work, but it's being working on, and with more people involved, things will grow faster!

If you're interested and need some help, feel free to contact me

It would be great to get some help of people frome OSM for importing / exporting maps to/from navit..

(i forgot to subscribe to mail notifications, hence my delayed answer )

Comment

A bit of news.

A lot of development has been done. There's now a really usable OpenGL GUI : http://www.kazer.org/navit/navit_gl_fixed_fonts.mpg

There's also a huge work begin done on the modular_map branch. Garmin map support was added, and routing is working in this branch too. Still the navigation has to be fixed in this branch (but is working fine in the main branch, as you can see in the video).

Comments / criticisms / ideas welcome

Comment

cool
                          i'm wondering if that will allow integration into nGhost, which is also written in SDL (the frontend, C++ is the coding lang.)

i'm not sure you'll need OSM export, as source might be copyrighted and introducing copyrighted sources to OSM might compromise the whole project.

what would you need for OSM import?
                          -> there is an OSM to Garmin translator, it doesn't do routing though afaik.

Comment

For nGhost integration, nanonymous contacted us about a month ago, but at this point navit wasn't c++ friendly. Which is fixed by now

About OSM, ability to read OSM maps could still be usefull. Maps export is doable imo, as long as the user inputs some informations about the street. This will lead probably to a deeper discussion

About OSM import, if it can be exported to Garmin, then it can be used for routing under NavIt (at least, I think )

Anyhow, thanks for your interest

The new SDL gui isn't in CVS yet. I want to enhance some little stuffs, then i'll commit it probably this week-end. If anybody want to try, just ask and i'll put the source tarball somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by KaZeR View Post
                              For nGhost integration, nanonymous contacted us about a month ago

oooo i like the sound of that!
                              MobileThree: in car - Zotac Atom/ION - linuxICE 2.0.2
                              --worklog--

Comment

Working...
                              X