X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meego Vehicle infotainment platform

Hot off the press:

http://meego.com/devices/in-vehicle

Linux-based open source platform for handsets, tvs and IVI systems. IMHO, this should be a much better solution for a vehicle seeing is how effort is actually being invested to make it work in the car instead of the car being an afterthought like this android/iphone business.
    Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
    Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
    Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

maybe 2-3 years from now it might actually be useful...but doesn't look like they have much developed.
    openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
    - Always Recruiting Developers -
    Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

yeah, but will it have the LinuxICE cure-world-hunger plugin and Mr Fusion boot speed optimizations you're always talking about??

EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
      Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
      OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
      Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
      BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
      VoomPC 2

Comment

Originally posted by justchat_1 View Post
        maybe 2-3 years from now it might actually be useful...but doesn't look like they have much developed.
        They say they will have downloads in a couple weeks. I've played around with Moblin a bit and the Maemo projects been around a while to so it's not like their starting from scratch.
        website

Comment

I forgot to add the disclaimer that I work on meego professionally. We do have lots of code, and we will make it public hopefully soon. I would love to move LinuxICE onto this platform as well.

They say they will have downloads in a couple weeks. I've played around with Moblin a bit and the Maemo projects been around a while to so it's not like their starting from scratch.
          I would agree. 2-3 years would seem like way too long to have something usable. However, handset development life-cycles take a while if you look at android. But the great thing is the platform runs on standard Linux, so if you have the source, you can build your own stuff how you want it.

Comment

I would love to move LinuxICE onto this platform as well.
            Wait... I'm confused.

I thought that nghost was the in car entertainment suite, and that linuxice was a convenience platform for getting nghost onto a PC in a single conveniently-installable shot. How does meego fit into that?

Gary (-;
            OBDGPSLogger, for logging OBDII and/or GPS data
            OBDSim, an OBDII/ELM327 software simulator
            mp3car forums: obdgpslogger, obdsim

Comment

Originally posted by chunkyks View Post
              Wait... I'm confused.

I thought that nghost was the in car entertainment suite, and that linuxice was a convenience platform for getting nghost onto a PC in a single conveniently-installable shot. How does meego fit into that?

Gary (-;
              It means he can release nGhost.... what is it up to, 6? Using Meego?
              "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
              RevFE
              My Shop

Comment

it means that I can start writing apps instead of an entire framework+apps. Currently, there is no really touch/gesture friendly UI that runs on standard Linux. If Meego provides a UI framework and a crapload of apps that are already touch-friendly, then why do I need to write and maintain my own inferior UI framework? It means less work for me on the framework, and more time spent on filling the gaps (which hopefully, will be few).

The whole reason I wrote nGhost is because literally nothing existed that filled in that gap. If something now exists that is better, I'd be an idiot not to take advantage of it.

It means he can release nGhost.... what is it up to, 6? Using Meego?
                Close. nGhost 2.5 was the last official release of the nGhost framework. But yeah, you can call it "6" or "7" if you want.

Comment

Hopefully they don't keep Moblin's taskbar. Impossible to hover off-screen with a touchscreen. Not to friendly on the issue tracker about it either.
                  website

Comment

Meego from source

Originally posted by tripzero View Post
                    I forgot to add the disclaimer that I work on meego professionally. We do have lots of code, and we will make it public hopefully soon. I would love to move LinuxICE onto this platform as well.

I would agree. 2-3 years would seem like way too long to have something usable. However, handset development life-cycles take a while if you look at android. But the great thing is the platform runs on standard Linux, so if you have the source, you can build your own stuff how you want it.
                    So can I assume that if I want to run Meego on something without an Intel graphics chip then I would have to compile it from source?

On the Meego forum, I was asking some noobish questions on installing a driver and your advice got me further along but I got stuck again when the installer couldn't find the kernel source.

So this Meego deal might be over my head for now; it sounds like it's going to eventually be as user friendly as my android phone. In the mean time, should I pursue other platforms to hone my Linux knowledge such as Gentoo or Linux from Scratch? Or should I keep struggling with Meego?

Comment

Originally posted by JackHandy View Post
                      So can I assume that if I want to run Meego on something without an Intel graphics chip then I would have to compile it from source?

On the Meego forum, I was asking some noobish questions on installing a driver and your advice got me further along but I got stuck again when the installer couldn't find the kernel source.

So this Meego deal might be over my head for now; it sounds like it's going to eventually be as user friendly as my android phone. In the mean time, should I pursue other platforms to hone my Linux knowledge such as Gentoo or Linux from Scratch? Or should I keep struggling with Meego?
                      It never hurts to learn more. I'd start with something simple like ubuntu. As for non-intel graphics, you should be able to run the nvidia/ati installers for linux. The missing kernel source probably means you need to install the kernel headers package for your kernel version.

Comment

I'll try installing the headers and see how that goes. I've been using Ubuntu and the problem is that it's almost too easy. To install and run the OS and install new programs, I can use GUI programs and not need to know what an rpm or git directory is; everything can be click and run.

Another method of working with Meego would be using Xephyr and chroot. I saw a thread on the Meego forum about how to get that to work with non-Intel graphics but the benefits of running Meego this way are not apparant. My goal is to get a music player with a convenient UI onto Meego (maybe get the hands-free working) then stick the computer in my truck. Added functionality will come as Meego is developed and I gain experience. It sounds like you have to do a few keystrokes to load up Meego going the Xephyr route so this doesn't sound ideal.

Overall I really like what I see with Meego. With an SSD, it boots quick. With no offense to LinuxICE, I like the UI of Meego over nghost and I don't get stuck in menus like I did trying out LinuxICE.

Comment

Working...
                        X