Which software should I use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which software should I use?

I've been highly considering running only Windows with Road Runner as front end, but I find it defeats the purpose of using a Mac. I have searched and really couldnt find any concrete front ends for mac. This is what I need:
    Navigation
    Fm Radio (Silabs usb key)
    Sat Radio (xm)
    Music (My itunes library is packed and would liek to use that)
    Videos/Movies (To keep passengers entertained on road trips)

Any ideas?
    For GPS I was thinking about running Iguidance3 in Boot Camp, but what about everything else. I want my system to be very complete, but also very basic, so that a first time passenger could use it without messing it up (idiot proof)
    Thanks

ok so you do have several options. bootcamp with roadrunner is not a bad choice. the mini is a good system and will work well either way. what i really like about osx is how well it wake/sleeps. you never have to unplug and replug anything back in after your computer wakes up. you might try amp as a front end for now and qcar for the future (it hasnt been completed yet, but you can try a 10 min demo). qcar looks to eventually be the roadrunner for mac. i personally just use itunes for my music. i really like the cover flow and it works well with a rotory input device (powermate or nulooq). if you choose to use itunes there are some helpful scripts out there that you can use to make it play nice with the car environment. i also use parallels in coherence mode to run my gps. i control most everything with the rotory, and then just switch the between apps as i need via touch. there are quite a bit of options out there, but you will just have to dive in and start trying them out to see what fits you best. so good luck with everything
    Check out the new version of NAS, a cross platform music frontend here

Comment

I would like my system to run completely by using my tocuh screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Vitulla View Post
        I've been highly considering running only Windows with Road Runner as front end, but I find it defeats the purpose of using a Mac.
        Well, don't think of it that way. The only set of solutions that fulfill your wish list is a Windows box. A carPC is very different from a desktop PC because it has a more targeted purpose. If the best integrated solution is Roadrunner and iGuidance, then use those. You won't see the OS that much anyhow.

And the Mini is a great hardware package to run Windows on. Yes, if you are a Mac aficionado OSX feels better but honestly, there just aren't the solutions that you need on the OSX side.

If you really want OSX, go with Parallels and run iGuidance on that, then run Amp on OSX.
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

How does Parallels do with all the sleeping and waking that'd be going on with a carPC?
          How to bring a laptop out of standby with WOL features

Comment

I leave Parallels running most of the time on both my iMac and MacBook, and sleeping/waking them is not an issue. Parallels is just another app, and when the Mac goes to sleep, it does too.

Please post about your experiences if you do this (OSX for media, Parallels for GPS nav), because I'm considering it myself for my eventual car PC.

Comment

I use Parallels on a MBP, because some dev tools for microcontrollers and circuit simulation software only exist for Windows. And I can confirm that Parallels do not appears to have any problems with sleep mode. The only problems I experienced so far were with reconnecting to a serial device connected thru an USB-RS232 adapter, but even this works fine in the absolute majority of cases.

Comment

Originally posted by mrogers View Post
                I leave Parallels running most of the time on both my iMac and MacBook, and sleeping/waking them is not an issue. Parallels is just another app, and when the Mac goes to sleep, it does too.

Please post about your experiences if you do this (OSX for media, Parallels for GPS nav), because I'm considering it myself for my eventual car PC.
                i use this exact setup. it works great. running gps in paralles under coherence mode works absolutly wonderful. then i use itunes as the media under osx

Comment

So to run Road runner and iguidance, which would be better, parallels or boot camp?
                  Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by natedawgg View Post
                    i use this exact setup. it works great. running gps in paralles under coherence mode works absolutly wonderful. then i use itunes as the media under osx
                    Does a touchscreen work with Front Row? If not, what's your preferred interface? I want to use my iTunes library and playlists. Secondly, do you experience any issues switching between nav in a Parallels window and your media controller in OS X?

Originally posted by Vitulla View Post
                    So to run Road runner and iguidance, which would be better, parallels or boot camp?
                    Thanks
                    Well, unless you enjoy rebooting your computer every time you want to use nav, and then rebooting it again to use media in OS X, you want Parallels. Parallels has gotten good enough that it can blend a Windows app with your OS X environment pretty well. Boot Camp is just a set of drivers that lets you reboot into and run Windows on a Mac...but not at the same time as OS X.

Comment

Originally posted by mrogers View Post
                      Does a touchscreen work with Front Row? If not, what's your preferred interface? I want to use my iTunes library and playlists. Secondly, do you experience any issues switching between nav in a Parallels window and your media controller in OS X?
                      i dont really know if the touch works with front row, i just itunes my self. several people here in the forum use front row, but i believe they use a rotary device, wich is what i also use for itunes and gps. i prefer the rotary because it is easier to ues while driving. i have never expierenced any problems at all with switching apps. when using parallels in coherence mode, each app in windows acts just like an app in osx. coherence essentially takes away everything about windows except the app and hides it. windows is still running in the background, but all you see is the windows app you are using. also every app that is running in parallels shows up on your dock. i just lock my gps icon onto the dock next to my itunes icon and just switch back and forth as needed. works great.

Comment

I got the touchscreen to work with FrontRow using a programs called Gestures.
                        But I am now in the boat of no-touchscreen, as totally removed mine.

Comment

I finally got Parallels to install but now I stuck. How can I get Road Runner to access my Itunes music folder? If I try to select the path of my library or music files, I cant as it only sees the windows files and not the mac's.

Also has anyones Silabs USB Fm Radio stop working? I used it one night ad thats it, it never worked again, I got it last week...

Comment

The mac can see the PC files better then the PC can see the mac files, so mabye host the iTunes library on the PC side.

Comment

You can have the PC partition read the Mac file system using a program called MacDrive. I think you could also used the Parallels Shared Folder feature to read your iTunes library.
                              How to bring a laptop out of standby with WOL features

Comment

Working...
                              X