Listening to radio?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Listening to radio?

Hi all, as i'm planning out my very first macminicar, it just dawned on me. I'd be removing my radio from the car to make room for the mini, screen, etc.

So what do you do, when you don't want to load up the comp. and you just want to listen to a favourite dj, or talkshow, or just something different.. you want the radio...the traffic report, the hockey game, latest breaking news.

So for things like that what do you do? And no, i'm not going to subscribe to a data plan via cell phone as that would cost tons of money up here in the great white north.

Options? Fate of the radio?

I kept my radio and run the Mini through the aux input.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I ditched mine and didn't look back. But I hadn't used a radio in at least 3 years prior to installing the Mini as I used various adapters for my iPods instead.

-dave
      My pathetic worklog.
      CarFrontEnd (now it's own sub-forum!!!!)

Comment

I stopped listened to regular radio about 2 years ago when I get Sirius Satellite radio. Never looked back.

Comment

I hate the radio where I live. There are three or four stations, each with a play list of MAYBE 30 songs. I can do without the usual dribble that DJs and talk show hosts dish out as they often cater to the lowest common denominator. And I'm reminded of it whenever I have to ride in someone else's car, and I think, "Man, I glad I don't have to listen to this crap anymore."

But, seriously. There is that iShark thing right? It's a usb radio for macs.

Comment

Only nice thing about radio is traffic reports...

If you guys lived in Southern California, you'd understand....

Rafster
            Post # 3000

Comment

Originally posted by Rafster View Post
              Only nice thing about radio is traffic reports...

If you guys lived in Southern California, you'd understand....

Rafster
              I know just what you mean.

I got lucky with my radio in that there is an option for my mazda6 to create an aux input to the stock radio.
              Status of Mini Install: Ordering parts and working on docking station.

Comment

Check out the Directed DMHD-1000 or Visteon HDZ300. They are HD Radio tuners designed to work with any system. Just run it to the line-in of your car PC and your good to go.
                If you are running windows there is an interface cable and software that provides full PC control of these HD Radio units, otherwise you just mount the little hardware controller somewhere on the dash.

Comment

hmm, can i have you name "Hondamac?" Just finished my install and very unhappy with the XM radio. Im definately looking into this or HQCT-e.
                  My RSX Carputer finished!

Comment

Just wondering, are you having sound quality issues or technical issues with XM?

Or do you just not like the programming on XM?

Comment

well when i first hooked up my XM PCR, you get that channel 1 for free to test it out. I listened to it in my car and it didnt sound great to me, so now Im looking around for an alternative to that. I want to get that HD radio tuner and hok it up, but the mac mini doesnt have a serial port. Maybe Ill get a serial to USB converter. anyways back on topic...Im not sure if I can justify the subscription cost no matter how low it is, if i cant be satisfied with the audio output quality.
                      My RSX Carputer finished!

Comment

Well, take a listen to the real thing and not just a test channel before you decide. I've got a tin ear but the XM sounds AT LEAST as good as FM radio.
                        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                        Want to:
                        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Working...
                        X