CHEAP mac mini?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHEAP mac mini?

I cannot find a cheap one on ebay or craigslist. Its ridiculous. A 1.25GHz Single Core ends up being 350 bucks! I'm not paying that much for that.
    Where did you guys get your mini's and how much did you pay?
    Should I just go with the apple store or buy from ebay?
    The one and only MacCruiser

buy new or used from apple. you get the warranty... I didn't see any mac minis on ebay for cheaper than new from apple... people want too much!

Comment

I just bought a Refurb from the Apple store online. I paid $429 + tax for a 1.6GHz dual core with 60GB HD, Bluetooth, WiFi, 512MB Ram. I will add on the Apple Care warranty later. Not dirt cheap but still a good price with warranty.

Comment

what makes a mac a mac, is the mac name. Why buy an iPod when you could get a better specs one for less? Because it is a mac...

Why buy a VoodooPC when you could build one yourself with the same specs for $3000 less? Because a Voodoo is a Voodoo. Falcon Northwest, Prada, Gucci, the list goes on.

The words "cheap" and "designer' do not go together.

You get a knockoff prada wallet for $30. And you can get a knockoff mac-mini in a small case for much cheaper. Check out the Aopen (sp?) models. They even have the white look.
        Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
        1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
        30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
        Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

who deleted my post? why???

Comment

Originally posted by lukepools View Post
            ?

Nobody did. Probably just a php goof.
            Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
            1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
            30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
            15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
            Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Beard View Post
              Where did you guys get your mini's and how much did you pay?
              Should I just go with the apple store or buy from ebay?
              From an Apple dealer and I paid a little over 600 Euro...

Comment

Originally posted by lukepools View Post
                It's newbie moderation. IT was there, just needed approval.
                Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I just got my newest one off of ebay $450.00. I didnt need the newer processor, but I did want the 1gb RAM, wireless keyboard and wireless mouse. It worked out better for me than buying a refurb for $429 and adding those 3 items.

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
                    what makes a mac a mac, is the mac name. Why buy an iPod when you could get a better specs one for less? Because it is a mac...

Why buy a VoodooPC when you could build one yourself with the same specs for $3000 less? Because a Voodoo is a Voodoo. Falcon Northwest, Prada, Gucci, the list goes on.

The words "cheap" and "designer' do not go together.

You get a knockoff prada wallet for $30. And you can get a knockoff mac-mini in a small case for much cheaper. Check out the Aopen (sp?) models. They even have the white look.
                    true true... i guess it's a designer computer? fits with my Louis Vuitton wallet.
                    My RSX Carputer finished!

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
                      And you can get a knockoff mac-mini in a small case for much cheaper. Check out the Aopen (sp?) models. They even have the white look.
                      Simply untrue. The difference is that the Mini has fewer configuration options. A quick check of Froogle finds that Excaliber PC is offering the Aopen Pandora for the bargain basement price of $569. For that price, you get a whopping 256MB of RAM, a giant 40 gig hard drive, no OS, no WiFi, no Bluetooth on a Celeron Mobile 370 1.5GHZ processor.

The Mini on the Apple store for $599 is a 1.83GHZ core 2 duo, has twice the memory, double the hard disk size and ships with the combo drive, WiFi, and bluetooth. It ships with the OS included plus software for making DVD's, building websites, creating photo projects, and making movies. It includes Front Row and a remote control to operate it.

To me, that's a value, but to others, you can't really configure it. That is, you can't strip it down to get the price lower. However, configuring the Pandora to Mini specs will yield you a similar price.
                      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                      Want to:
                      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I totally agree with Bugbyte. Name one CarPC with the same or even similar specs as the MacMini I bought for $429 - 1.6GHz Duo, 512 GB Ram, 60 GB HD, Combo drive, BT, WiFi, OS X, and all the other software.

I think you will be hard pressed to find a case, MB, processor, and and ram for $400. A quick check in the mp3 store finds one of the cheapest (with power source) with MacMini like specs is about $620.

Comment

I Agree

I'd agree: At least at this point in time, it is not possible to locate a Mac Mini in the price range (< $350) wished.

I waited a year, frequenting all sources possible (eBay, Craig’s List, etc.) in trying to find a Mini in the sub $300 price range; even into the low 400's. Never found one; not one. And then the Intel based version came out and the price of new units went up $100 across the board, so that guaranteed an ongoing higher price range in used machines. Game over.

The Intel based units are better though, as they come with Front Row and the aforementioned remote, along with native/near native speed PC capability (via Boot Camp/Parallels). So I gave up and bought a refurbished Mini for $699 about 9 months ago, including 120 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, and the 1.83 GHz Core Duo (not Core 2, sadly) processor. Plenty sufficient, though.

But no one is going to find a Mini for less than 500-something bucks. At least not an Intel based Duo machine. Wholly impossible.

Edit:

But $350 for a solo @ 1.25 MHz isn't bad at all, really. I'd have grabbed that immediately. Seems to me for car application you needn't a great deal of power-- Anything built within the last 4 years or so will run most all software you need...

Comment

Originally posted by GeoLogic View Post
                            I'd agree: At least at this point in time, it is not possible to locate a Mac Mini in the price range (< $350) wished.

I waited a year, frequenting all sources possible (eBay, Craig’s List, etc.) in trying to find a Mini in the sub $300 price range; even into the low 400's. Never found one; not one. And then the Intel based version came out and the price of new units went up $100 across the board, so that guaranteed an ongoing higher price range in used machines. Game over.
                            Geez...sorry, but it doesn't seem to make sense to wait so long for such a relatively small difference in price. Seems you could have saved the money over the year (that's what, $10 a month?!?)...I say this not because I want to insult your spending power, but because if you to install the mini in the car properly would require at least that much cash in accessory and miscellaneous parts alone. If you're having trouble coming up with $150 over a year, I think you'll be surprised by the additional, frequently unanticipated costs you encounter associated with installing the computer in a car...and I wouldn't want that to spoil your project after you bought the computer.

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

Additional Notation

No offense taken! But, in correction, I spent $700 (as noted, $699) on my Mini. The price I wished to locate was in the low to mid 400's. $700-$400 = $300.

$300 is worth something to me, as this amount buys a good deal of other required system components (power supply, wiring, OEM audio system interface, etc.).

I hadn't my new car anyway until exactly 9 months ago, so timing wasn't a problem; I simply had to pay more for my Mac than I would have liked (but that's probably the case for all of us!)-- But it would have been nice to have a Mini ahead of time for general home use; perhaps in addition to affording test set ups prior to actual car installation.

Comment

Working...
                              X