Quick questions about Mac Mini in the car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick questions about Mac Mini in the car

I've never owned a mac, however I have used them many times. Just a couple questions:

Would bootcamp be the main way to go for use of GPS software and a frontend? Are there any good gps options for OSX?

What's the best (read as cheapest/safest) way to power it in the car? I've seen lots of talk regarding Carnetix.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated, as the carPC would be either a Mac Mini or a similarly priced (and probably slower) mini-itx based pc.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Offspring View Post
    What's the best (read as cheapest/safest) way to power it in the car? I've seen lots of talk regarding Carnetix.
    The Carnetix (1900 or 2140) are the ideal solution. Mike built them to work with the Mini and Apple's sleep mechanism.

-dave
    My pathetic worklog.
    CarFrontEnd (now it's own sub-forum!!!!)

Comment

As far as powering a Mini goes, the 1900 should suffice right? From what I can tell it offers the same features as the 2140, just with less wattage...

Comment

No, the 2140 is much more advanced - it allows you to build an installation where you do not need to connect the power switch of the mini to anything and can control wake-up and sleep only by software. Plus you get detailed PSU monitoring as a bonus.

Comment

use parallels so you can run both operating systems at the same time. my p1900 works well.
          My RSX Carputer finished!

Comment

with the 1900 can you adjust startup/shut down delay times easily?
            Planned ... 95%
            Purchased 25%
            Installed ... 0%

WorkLog

Comment

I believe you can only adjust those easily with the 2140. Though I've never had a 1900...

Comment

So tell me what i'm missing please, so far i've got a mac mini, 7" touch screen w/ VGA and usb. and i'm going to get the 2140.
                What else will i need before installing the carputer, other than software goods.
                Planned ... 95%
                Purchased 25%
                Installed ... 0%

WorkLog

Comment

Technically, nothing. That should be enough to use the computer. Of course you would need some sound system for the music and everything. And a GPS receiver if you want to navigate easily. Depends on what you want to have.

Comment

Which is easier, removing my head unit and running the speakers straight from the computer, or leaving an existing head unit and plugging the head phone jack into the back of the head unit.
                    Planned ... 95%
                    Purchased 25%
                    Installed ... 0%

WorkLog

Comment

you WANT a MacPac cable. Hooks into the mini so that you dont have to slice your powerbrick
                      CarPC status:

[XXXXXXXXXX] 100% Complete
                      [XXXXXXXXXX] 100% Installed
                      [XXXXXXXXXX] 100% Software

CarPC v1.2 is now in effect. Software updates and hardware additions to come.

Comment

You cannot run the speakers directly from the computer, you would need an amplifier. I left my head unit in my car - that way I also have a backup system, just in case the mac doesn't work. Either way you'll have to plug the headphone hack into something, be it your head unit or an amp.

Comment

Working...
                        X