Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mac Mini stand-by power usage optimization?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac Mini stand-by power usage optimization?

Mini is running XPsp2 with boot camp drivers only, no OSX.

Currently Iím running it using only hibernation, because I found that stand by would run down my battery to a low enough level for the carnetix to shut it down over a 24 hour period. Meaning a full boot would be required after a weekend. Daily operation however was excellent, probably fewer than 10 seconds to fully operational.

So my question would be, how to go about optimizing this power usage, or is that just how it is?

Check your battery. I was getting at least 2-1/2 days in standby, albeit using OSX. I'd think Windows wouldn't make a difference, but I could be wrong.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I wonder if one of his USB devices (GPS reciever maybe) is drawing his battery down.

Comment

As machinehead said, your USB devices are always on.
        I use a hub and the +5volt like of the Carnetix to power it.

Also if you can get into the BIOS check and see if the power management is set for S3 (State3) as S1 consumes more power. S3 turns of hard disk, video, etc... where S1 spins the harddrive down but lots of other circuits still consume power.

I have left mine for over three days in suspend without problems, however lately the OS refuses to suspend and keeps draining my battery. (Time for a re-build)

Comment

Does the Mini have BIOS? I thought it used Open Firmware.
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
            Does the Mini have BIOS? I thought it used Open Firmware.
            None of those. It is EFI actually :-) (Old PPC Macs used Open Firmware)

Comment

yeah i dont think i have any bios to edit the power management in, that would of been my first port of call with a normal pc!

the only usb devices attached would be the GPS, screen and keyboard.

the carnetix turns off the screen so it can only be the GPS draining the battery. Is there anything i can do about this?

i'm also using a the carnetic additional 5v out on the carnetix to power a usb hub, which only has the keyboard pluged into it. would i be better off plugging the usb into the hub? can the hubs power then be dissabled in the carnetix settings?

Comment

Originally posted by zapwizard View Post
                I use a hub and the +5volt like of the Carnetix to power it.
                That's what I'm doing and it doesn't work very well for me. The Carnetix keeps shutting off, and I think it's due to the power load from the hub. Safe-sleep or Hibernate seems the best course for me.

Comment

Actually the touch-screen on most touch-screens is a USB powered circuit completely separate from the actual display circuitry. You can test this by touching the surface of the screen on a "wake from USB device" such as a mini running OSX. So it does consume power when the PC is off.

GPS units can consume quite a bit of power also, as they us tiny amplified antenna circuits constantly. (I know my runs slightly warm when powered)

Another thing to note: Some powered USB hubs switch BACK to system power when their external power source is turned off. I know mine did. What I had to do was physically cut the +5volt wire running from the PC to the hub to ensure that the hub didn't switch back when the Carnetix turned it off.

And yes, it is best to have pretty much everything possible running off a hub rather then the PC directly. The only thing I leave connected to the mini directly in my configuration is the keyboard, this is because sometimes it doesn't work properly off the hub.

Which carnetix model do you have?
                  It should be turning off the +5volts to the USB hub before it sends the sleep command to the PC.

Comment

Ditto - power the hub from the Carnetix and be sure that it doesn't back-draw from the Mini when the thing is sleeping.
                    Want to:

Comment

Actually the touch-screen on most touch-screens is a USB powered circuit completely separate from the actual display circuitry. You can test this by touching the surface of the screen on a "wake from USB device" such as a mini running OSX. So it does consume power when the PC is off.

GPS units can consume quite a bit of power also, as they us tiny amplified antenna circuits constantly. (I know my runs slightly warm when powered)

Another thing to note: Some powered USB hubs switch BACK to system power when their external power source is turned off. I know mine did. What I had to do was physically cut the +5volt wire running from the PC to the hub to ensure that the hub didn't switch back when the Carnetix turned it off.

And yes, it is best to have pretty much everything possible running off a hub rather then the PC directly. The only thing I leave connected to the mini directly in my configuration is the keyboard, this is because sometimes it doesn't work properly off the hub.

It should be turning off the +5volts to the USB hub before it sends the sleep command to the PC.

I'm pretty sure this is my problem as well. How did you make this happen? is there a standard wire color to cut to isolate the hub?
                      Hardware: [-------- ]30%
                      Software: [----- ]20%
                      Install:[------- ]70%
                      2005 Subaru WRX - New 1.83 GHz Mac Mini - OSX/parallels is my front end - K301 InDash monitor

Comment

I have the CNX-P2140 with the additional CNX-PV5.

The PV5 runs the hub, screen and mini are powered off the P2140, The screen is deffinately not getting power, as it wont display any of its other imputs, AV etc. Its set to turn on/off with the ignition on the carnetix.

if i plug the gps into the hub will the carnetix still supply power to it on standby?

Comment

Originally posted by OUSilver05 View Post
                          I'm pretty sure this is my problem as well. How did you make this happen? is there a standard wire color to cut to isolate the hub?
                          The red wire, pin number 1 on the USB connector. http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml

You do not have to cut anything, just isolate the pin on the connector. I used a piece of plastic adhesive foil.

Comment

Yes, your screen is not getting power, but that doesn't mean the touch sensor isn't getting power. At least on a Lilliput LCD, if you take it apart, the touch-screen circuit is an entirely separate PCB from the screen. It receives power only from the USB and works independently from the screen, they only happen to be encased in the same box.
                            Here is a photo of the Touch-screen PCB:
                            [media]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/53/120648291_2c2b2ad0aa.jpg[/media]

Yes, if you plug your GPS into the hub, it won't consume power when your system is in standby.

Comment

Working...
                            X