Hooking up multiple amps to Mac Mini

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooking up multiple amps to Mac Mini

I have 2 amps in my suby that i would like to hook up to a straight mac mini system. What's the best way to acheive this? I also want to make it so I can add more amps on later down the road.

The simplest is to get a line with a headphone plug on one end and RCA plugs on the other. Then get RCA splitters to run lines to your amps. That's how I have mine setup with 3 amps.

-dave
    My pathetic worklog.
    CarFrontEnd (now it's own sub-forum!!!!)

Comment

How are you controlling the Treble, Bass, Fade, Balance and Subwoofer?

Comment

That I know of, on the mac there is no way to do it at this time. Ideally you should be able to get any number of multiple channel audio outputs that connects via usb or firewire. If I have done my research correctly Apple has built in all of the basic audio controls that we need in to their Core Audio portion of OSX. High pass, low pass, parametric EQ's, 31 band EQ's, etc. are all filters that are listed as built in to Core Audio.

Someone should be able to write a program that allows you to assign those filters to specific audio outs, but as of yet, I havent found anyone who has done it. For now if you want control just use a simple 2 or 3 way electronic crossover or if you have amps that were made in the last few years they probably have onboard crossovers.

Personally I will use a regular car audio processor to do all of that work, taking just the standard mini audio out.

Comment

Originally posted by RhinoGorilla View Post
          How are you controlling the Treble, Bass, Fade, Balance and Subwoofer?
          By using the line out jack, you can't fade just balance (SysPrefs). As mentioned, you can get USB adapters that will let CoreAudio applications (Audio MIDI Setup in Applications/Utilities will do some of it) do that type of tweaking. The two adapters i've tried turned out to be a bust though and i'm happy enough with my audio that I have more important things to futz with

-dave
          My pathetic worklog.
          CarFrontEnd (now it's own sub-forum!!!!)

Comment

Some day all of the other stuff will be gone and we'll get the programming minds to working on this kind of stuff lol. If it was easy it'd be done already. I'll play around with making a way to get it done that will be completely cumbersome and a pain, but I think I can figure it out using a couple of different programs,we'll see.

Comment

Griffin Firewave
              Audigy 2

Dave has used both with mixed results. The audigy supposedly works with the mac but you can't control it via software. The firewave 'forgets' settings, if I recall correctly.
              Originally posted by ghettocruzer
              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
              Want to:
              -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
              -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.

Comment

We have support for multi-channel sound built into QCar. The problem however is to get multi-channel device(s) that acutally have volume controls. Strange as it sounds, most USB/FireWire sound adapters do not provide Core Audio interface for independent volume settings. Even when you create an aggregate device from two physical devices that do have volume control for each channel, the resulting device has no volume control at all - not even the master control.

As a result, we do not use these functions and rely on the HQCT USB tuner to handle balance and fade settings.
                  Attached Files

Comment

That answers that.

Thanks Jirka

Comment

So this kind of sucks, but would the best bet to keep your car radio for the preamp?

Comment

That or use an outboard crossover like this from MTX thats an ebay auction for $30. Nothing from Boss, Autobahn or anything like that unless you enjoy noise being added into your system.

Comment

Originally posted by RhinoGorilla View Post
                          So this kind of sucks, but would the best bet to keep your car radio for the preamp?
                          It is certainly one of the options. The other one is to use HQCT which is controlled over USB from the computer.

I actually got an idea about how to deal with the volume issue, but I do not have time to play around with this now. The idea is not to control the volume of the device, but to apply the volume control as a custom filter on the audio data stream. It will require changes in the application to make it AU-enabled but once this is done, creation of the appropriate filter should be a piece of cake.

Comment

Hey Jirka are you working with QCar in Cocoa?

Comment

Audio Hijack Pro.... is perfect for capture the stream audio from any application.
                              I use this for change the sound. Not equalizer or other strange things, but for Vacuum tube sound.

The audio interface that i prefer and use is the RME FireFace 400... nothing else meet this audio object...
                              www.claz.it

Comment

Working...
                              X