Future Mac Carputer - Audi TT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Mac Carputer - Audi TT

Hey guys, I'm new here. After seeing a fellow TTer do a Car PC setup (using a PC) in a TT, I decided that I wanted to do the same but with a mini. I'm slowly getting all of the parts together but hopefully I'll have them all soon! Here's what I plan on getting:

- Some sort of Intel Mac Mini, preferably a Core Duo (although in reality a Core Solo is plenty for a carputer)
    - Carnetix P1900 w/ MacPac Power Supply (as soon as they become available!)
    - Lilliput EBY701 7" Touchscreen LCD (Any comments?)
    - GlobalSat BU-353 GPS Receiver
    - Griffin Powermate
    - VAG-Com "permanently" connected - will operate via Parallels/XP
    - Precision Audio AUD-Aux - convert CD changer into an auxiliary input, connect to Mac Mini - keep the stock audio setup

I'll post pictures as soon as everything is together. My goal is to look this look 100% stock - the TT's interior is an icon that would be horrible to mess up the least bit.

Any of you have any tips regarding the equipment I listed? (Installation, usage, etc...) - I'm thinking of using Front Row in Leopard to handle of the media stuff - it would be nice if I could do a plugin to launch whatever GPS app I end up using (any suggestions there?)

Nope. You got it all figured out. You can map the Powermate to Frontrow and control the whole thing from that knob.

The only issue you will have is with Nav. Routebuddy looks like it finally provides turn by turn instructions, so you can have native Mac nav but switching to it will require you to exit Frontrow and stop the music. You'll have to launch it somehow, then control it. It will be clunky, BUT you will have Nav.

Check out something called Proxis, which may help with the Powermate. It is a sort of scripting language that you might be able to use to solve that Nav issue. Dunno, I haven't look at it close enough.

What you'd really like to be able to do is have Frontrow play but fade to the background when the nav is running and be able to get back to Frontrow whenever you want.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I don't know anything about programming, but it looks like folks have added EyeTV to FrontRow:

http://web.mac.com/paul_and_sally/FrontTV/Download.html

I wonder if the same method could be used for adding other programs?
      The Mercenary Missileer's 2000 Toyota 4Runner Highlander Edition

Comment

Whoa! That is cool! Gotta find out more about it, though.
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Nice, I knew there was something out there like it. I have some software development background (used to work for a Linux Company) so I will take a look at it and see if I can get something like a GPS application to launch. It looks like it's in Python so it shouldn't be too difficult.

By the way, just purchased the LCD off of eBay and the Carnetix + MacPac. Have to wait for my next pay check for the Mini and other peripherals. I can't wait to get started!

Comment

I have a PPC mini for sell if your interested
            Cant code cause I dont know how, but give me the paint bucket and my eraser and have at you!

Comment

Progress on the incoming parts below, check indicates ordered/in my possession. Can't wait for this list to be completely checked off!

Comment

I can't see the list, can you post it?

(I'm on my work comp, so let me know if others can see it)

Comment

Can't see it
                  F6 Tornado Project Log ; HP Blackbird Watercooled Server

Beta Tester for Centrafuse and 3dConnexion (No business affiliation with either)

Comment

Sorry guys, fixed it. Received the display today - unfortunately the EBY701 with its side mounted buttons isn't going to fit how I wanted so I'll have to sell it or try to modify the bezel.

Comment

how about an update?

I sold my diesel chugging f250 and got a ttq roadster. Im moving my truck pc into it, and your car is almost exactly the same. Im used to a lot more space, so im very interested in any and all the pics through your build. I have the bose system which ive read is a little different the the Symphony in that the bose has a amp that powers the rear mids and the woofer. I cant find that amp for the life of me, i dont think your system has 1 so you wouldnt know where it might be.. would ya?
                      Where are you going to mount your pc? Im sorry to be so inquisitive but im used to domestic and space and havent had a chance to get a Bently Guide for it.
                      That sucks your screen didnt fit. I Think stripped my 7 inch generic screen down to jam it into the hole the ashtray left and those side bars whilst still leaving the 3 buttons (gas door ect.) visible. Good positioning, i thought about wrapping the A bars solid and the screen back in leather. it would leave some room in the pocket to add some other equipment.
                      A custom bezel is the way to go, maybe some more pics soon then. Thanks

Comment

The whole dash assembly up front should be the same. I've got a TTQ Coupe so from the front seats back it's a bit different. I'm taking tons of pictures of the install. I'm installing it in place of the CD changer which is in my rear side panel.

All TTs have either the Concert or Concert II (2002 and above) systems. The Bose system was an addon on top of that. I'm not sure where your amp is, in mine its supposedly in the right hand side rear side panel. I'm not going to touch it though.

I'm using a Blitzsafe adaptor that I bought at Enfig Car Stereo (enfig.com - I highly recommend them). It plugs into the CD changer port that runs up to the stereo as I want to keep the stock audio system.

My screen actually ended up fitting where I wanted. It's not mounted but I had to remove the knee bolsters (4 torx screws on each side). I'm going to remove the ash tray and mount in between where it was and the center tunnel. I'll make it fit in a bit more with a bit of color match vinyl/leather.

I'd like to do a custom bezel but I don't really know where I'd get that done - I don't have the time to do it myself - plus it'd probably turn out like crap.

Comment

Cool man. Thanks for the update, info and the link. Ill check that site out. Cant wait to see your install pics!

Comment

I just picked up a Mac Mini today - 1.66GHz Core Duo, 80GB HD, 2GB Ram, Applecare for around another year and a half - $400.00. Great price! I'm going to work on a bracket for the CD changer bracket and start on the actual install. Pictures to follow soon

Comment

The LCD I purchased (Lilliput EBY701) won't fit in the location I wanted. This time I'm certain.

I'm going to try to get a custom bezel done. I might actually try and house the display in the upper ash tray if I can get a slim enough bezel - that way it will swing up and out of sight when I don't want/need to see it. I'm not sure if I'll be able to pull that off yet though.

As far as the installation goes, I got the power wiring done and the Carnetix all hooked up. Still waiting on my modified CD changer bracket to hold the Mini and Carnetix.

I set up a site with all the pictures I"ve taken so far here - http://www.brandonauch.com

Comment

Working...
                              X