P2140 Setup Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P2140 Setup Question

I am trying to get my mac mini (intel dual core 1.83 running Windows XP) working with the P1240 and the Mac Pac.

Currently I have the carnetix wired in my car similar to the wiring diagram in the installation manual. My screen feeds off of my head unit for power and does not need the carnetix. The devices that will be plugging into this thing are my powered usb hub and the computer.

I have set the following jumpers:
    JP5 - Mac mini intel setting
    JP2 - I think this is currently at +12v (I think this is wrong for my usb hub, but not the problem I am trying to solve)
    JP1 - +18.5v

The P2140 powers the computer if I press the power button but does not turn the computer on or off, other than crashing it. What else am I missing?

Is this all managed through the PSUmoni software? - I have yet to install this, maybe I was getting a little ahead of myself.

Other things that I am thinking it could be...
    I got a bad "Y-cable" when I ordered my stuff. One of the ends fell off so I took that side and connected it inside of the computer by soldering it where it should have gone. But as it still turns on by the switch I don't think this is the issue.

I would install the PSUmoni software so you can monitor the behavior of the PSU, but it does sound possibly like a bad y-cable or something is loose. The stock P2140 settings should power the mac on and off without a problem.

As far as the crashing, I assume you mean that the PSU cuts out after something like 60 seconds after ignition off. That's the default behavior for it.

Edit: also confirm that you are indeed getting power from your ignition line to the PSU. The first time I hooked mine up, I wired it wrong and was using a battery line, which won't work right.

Comment

Originally posted by Machinehead View Post
      As far as the crashing, I assume you mean that the PSU cuts out after something like 60 seconds after ignition off. That's the default behavior for it.
      Yes, that is what I mean by crashing. It does turn itself off after about a minute. I watched the video on carnetix's website and the led even flashes in the correct sequence.

As far as getting power from my ignition line... wouldn't the P2140 not be able to turn on without this? I haven't tried to run the P2140 without the ignition line but i might to see if it will turn on.

Mine is currently turning on and off (I think the way that it should be) when the car comes on and goes off and I thought that this was due to the ignition line. It just doesn't interface with the computer (typing that makes me think even more that it is a Y-cable issue, hmm)

Comment

Originally posted by mdd5148 View Post
        Yes, that is what I mean by crashing. It does turn itself off after about a minute. I watched the video on carnetix's website and the led even flashes in the correct sequence.

As far as getting power from my ignition line... wouldn't the P2140 not be able to turn on without this? I haven't tried to run the P2140 without the ignition line but i might to see if it will turn on.

Mine is currently turning on and off (I think the way that it should be) when the car comes on and goes off and I thought that this was due to the ignition line. It just doesn't interface with the computer (typing that makes me think even more that it is a Y-cable issue, hmm)
        Yea, that's the default P2140 behavior, which is geared towards windows hibernate, which is known as safe-sleep for OSX. To change it so you can use sleep mode, you need to use the PSUmoni software to change the setting to standby (sleep).

I'd agree with you, if the PSU is behaving properly ignitionwise, then it's a connection on the computer end. Or possibly a jumper setting on the P2140, but I think you have it set right from what you already said.

Comment

OMG I have f'd everything up... this installation is going down the drain fast....

As I mentioned earlier I suspected that I had incorrectly hooked up the P2140 using the 12v setting in JP2 rather than the 5v for my usb hub... well it ended up killing the usb hub and I think it might have fried the usb devices too. Is this possible? I had everything hooked up to it (Car2PC adapter, screen, gps).

I think that this is the case because:
          1) usb hub is dead.
          2) when I took some of the devices out and tried to hook them to my mini I got weird error messages that said "There is a usb power surge" or something...
          3) Well number two was a better thing than where I am at now. Because I still had mouse movement. Now when I connect a usb device I get nothing. F

Anybody got anything? Did I kill my usb devices? Did I also kill the usb port(s) on my mac mini? I swear I am not retarded and know some stuff about computers but my install is just not going like it should (cry).

Comment

I
            I have set the following jumpers:
            JP2 - I think this is currently at +12v (I think this is wrong for my usb hub, but not the problem I am trying to solve)
            JP1 - +18.5v
            If you set JP2 to +12v as you stated in your original post, that is too high for your USB hub. It needs 5 volts.

Unfortunately, if that is true, this has now BECOME a problem you are trying to solve.
            Originally posted by ghettocruzer
            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
            Want to:
            -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
            -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Yes, I did in fact kill the USB ports on the Mac mini. ugh...

Ok... so Bringing this post back up due to new problems. "I" fixed my mini with a new logic board. Everything was going good at my desk. I changed some of the carnetix settings as follows:

JP1 - +18.5v
              JP2 - Changed from 12v to 5v
              JP3 - Left Default
              JP4 - Moved from config 2 to Config 1 = 12v in (I am powering the unit from the car battery) 20v pri(use this setting for both 20v and 18.5 the mac mini) 5(for the usb hub.)
              JP6 - Left Default

I went out to the car to test it out. I plugged in the mini power cable and display cords, a mouse that I have and I turn it on... works.

Plugged in the touchscreen cable. The device is detected after some error messages that I could not read. But computer is still working. As previously mentioned the screen is powered off of the head unit.

Plugged in both Car2PC and GPS dongle and computer shuts down. Cannot get it to boot again in the car. Bring it inside and it is boot-restart cycle. I remove Y-cable to eliminate possibilities and eventually get the computer to boot to find that the USB ports are fried for the Second time.

So assuming "I" can fix the computer again, What the F is the problem. I am about two steps from ditching the whole project as I have over a grand in worthless computer parts due to a F'ing Carnetix.

Comment

I'm completely afraid to give you any more advice.

Comment

Ok so I think that I can get the computer fixed. With logic board 3.0

Let me throw this one out there... If I had also fried A USB device such as my touch screen could this now be the source of what is killing the the board in my mini?

I want to figure out the source of the problem before I hook up the computer again.

Comment

I have no idea. Here's what I can tell from your posts:

1. Twice, you have burned out the USB ports on the logic board. Since there is protection in case you draw too much current, one of two things is happening. Either you are shorting the USB power lines or you are somehow running voltage into the USB cable. Like, if you accidently were running 20 volts from the primary into the USB line that would do it.

2. Considering that your computer works without USB devices plugged into it, I don't think there is any problem with the Carnetix power supply.

Here's my advice (and it's worth what you paid for it, I don't take any responsibility for burning up a third Mini logic board!):

1. You need to post the EXACT wiring diagram of your system for us to look at.
                    2. You need to use a DIGITAL MULTIMETER to test each and every line on your setup BEFORE plugging it into your computer. Starting with the wiring harness going INTO your Carnetix, you should check, recheck and confirm that the voltages are proper and that they are on the right wires. Then, you should power up the Carnetix and check the wires coming out of the PSU BEFORE connecting it to the Mini.
                    3. Check that the power for your USB hub is, in fact, 5 volts. Check each and every USB cable and device for continuity to determine whether it is shorted or not. Power up the hub from the PSU WITHOUT attaching it to the computer. Make sure it works. If you are satisfied that there is nothing wrong with the devices, try them out on a home computer to see if they work individually. Then, connect the hub to that computer and make sure that they work on that hub.
                    4. ONLY THEN, would I power up my Mini in my car but WITHOUT any USB devices or hubs attached. I would then plug in each device into the MINI, not the hub and confirm that they work.
                    5. Then, I would unplug all my USB devices and plug the hub in. I would confirm that the computer works properly.
                    6. ONLY then would I plug each USB device into the hub, confirm that it works, then unplug it from the hub before trying the next device.
                    7. If all is well, I would plug two devices into the hub. If that worked well, I would plug a third in and so forth.

Can't guarantee that you won't blow up your logic board again, but I think you have a problem with the way you're wired.
                    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                    Want to:

Comment

*Edit: It looks like there are wires going to no where unless you view the full-sized thing.

so here is the diagram of my installation.

I know that it isn't the best diagram but it should work... I got a multi-meter the other day and I am going to test everything tonight. In the diagram you should see that there are some things that connect to the car's head unit labeled "wiring harness". I know this is a horrible description but to be honest it is a proprietary plug that goes into the back of the head unit. I assume for the screen that there is a power lead and a ground as well as a few other things but I am not sure. Same for the Car2Pc plug.

Comment

What powers the Car2PC adaptor?

All I can say is that I would suspect the USB cable from the hub to the Mac. I'd get the Mac working first before hooking ANYTHING up to it besides the VGA out. That includes audio.
                        Want to:

Comment

I just went and checked the current of the usb devices that are sitting in the car right now. The screen and the Car2Pc adapter (I guess I left out the bluetooth dongle that I have too in my diagram.) Right now the car does not have the carnetix or the computer I was just checking the current on the devices to see what I am plugging my computer into as bugbyte suggested.

So I took one lead on my multi-meter and grounded it with the cigarette lighter and the other end and tested the hot end of the usb leads. I got nothing on the screen. But then to my suprise I got 14v on the Car2PC usb (wowza) think I found the guilty party....

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
                            What powers the Car2PC adaptor?
                            The car2pc adatper plugs into the back of the head unit and works fine without the usb part as a simple aux. line in. I guess the head unit must power the unit? This is an area where I do have limited knowledge.

Comment

So I took one lead on my multi-meter and grounded it with the cigarette lighter and the other end and tested the hot end of the usb leads. I got nothing on the screen. But then to my suprise I got 14v on the Car2PC usb (wowza) think I found the guilty party....
                              Ouch. That would do it, methinks.
                              Want to:

Comment

Working...
                              X