Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repackaging Mac Mini

Hey Guys,

I am looking at installing a carputer in my 2007 GTI. I was wondering if the mac would still work if the case is removed, and the innards are put in a custom case.

Thanks,
    Azhagan

It will work fine if your can provide it with at least some air for cooling.

Comment

Sure, why not? It's just an Intel based PC.
      My stagnant project

Comment

Thanks for your answers. I was just worried that with the proprietary nature of Macintoshs that somehow you couldn't run the system keeping the case open.

Comment

Just curious why you want to repackage the Mini?

Comment

Originally posted by 1999MockOne View Post
            Well I have a buddy that can get me an old XServe Cluster (the ones with only one drive bay) shell and i'm been thinking about putting the guts of a Mini in it just for the hell of it. Can't find a place that it will fit in my car though

-dave
            My pathetic worklog.
            CarFrontEnd (now it's own sub-forum!!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by iamgnat View Post
              Can't find a place that it will fit in my car though
              Yup, been there, done that. I bought a center console and the Mac Mini fits perfectly.
              Attached Files

Comment

You must have that thing ventilated, right? How do you keep it cool?
                Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                Want to:
                -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

So far, no problems. Doesn't seem to run particularly hot. The bottom of the storage compartment has been cut out. The console is meant to be installed by cutting away the flooring for a flush fit. Since I didn't, there's a good bit of gap along the sides of the console that's hidden by the seats. I had a professional install the Mini & the head unit into the console. He was going to install a cooling fan, but after measuring some temps, he decided it was unnecessary. I went on a 7-hour trip this weekend and it never felt even close to the temperature of my laptop.

Bottom line: time will tell, but so far I'm cautiously optimistic.

Comment

I guess it depends on if the foam covers the whole Mini and what the climate of your area is. If the foam completely covers the bottom of the Mini, then it will have issues circulating air when it needs it (in through the bottom, out through the back).

Really nice looking area you have there though. Very clean.

-dave
                    My pathetic worklog.
                    CarFrontEnd (now it's own sub-forum!!!!)

Comment

Seven hours is long enough to figure it out!

If you're curious, run temperature monitor on it. It only gives you the SMART disk temperature, but that's a good proxy. I've found that if it gets much over 130 F you will get a shutdown.
                      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                      Want to:
                      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I would like to fit it somewhere behind the dash, and I can only do that without the case.

Comment

Yup, been there, done that. I bought a center console and the Mac Mini fits perfectly.
                          That is a sweet setup!
                          "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -AE

Comment

Originally posted by azhagan View Post
                            I would like to fit it somewhere behind the dash, and I can only do that without the case.
                            i would think the mini would prob run a lot cooler without the case. the only problem i could see would be leaving the internals open to the elements, but im sure it would all work just fine.
                            Check out the new version of NAS, a cross platform music frontend here

Comment

Originally posted by natedawgg View Post
                              i would think the mini would prob run a lot cooler without the case. the only problem i could see would be leaving the internals open to the elements, but im sure it would all work just fine.
                              It's no different than what many users have done other components.

Comment

Working...
                              X