my new carputer plans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my new carputer plans

someone let me know if there would be a problem with this...

streetdeck
    macmini with dual boot
    windows xp
    transflective touchscreen
    microsoft streets and trips gps usb

i want to wire up the mac mini so it will turn on when the car turns on, and go to sleep or shut down when i turn off the car. how do i do that?

i also need the mac mini to somehow transfer music from the computer to my amp to my speakers and sub.

any help would be appreciated

also, any suggestions on the specs of the mac mini i should get? the higher the better? or would a top of the line mac mini be draining too much power from my battery?

If you're going to run streetdeck, don't bother with a dual boot, waste of HDD space.

www.carnetix.com for a macmini compatible smart power supply.

Are you going to run with or without a headunit?

Comment

Originally posted by theyell0wdart View Post
      i also need the mac mini to somehow transfer music from the computer to my amp to my speakers and sub.

any help would be appreciated
      Headphone jack to RCA jacks. Or you could get a usb audio device of some kind. I'm satisfied with just the headphone output.

Comment

Originally posted by Machinehead View Post
        If you're going to run streetdeck, don't bother with a dual boot, waste of HDD space.

www.carnetix.com for a macmini compatible smart power supply.

Are you going to run with or without a headunit?
        why shouldn't a run a dual boot? i thot streetdeck was only compatitble with windows?

as for the headunit question...i'm not sure yet...any suggestions to why i shuld or shouldn't?

sorry for the noob questions everyone

Comment

also, any suggestions on the specs of the mac mini i should get? the higher the better? or would a top of the line mac mini be draining too much power from my battery?

Comment

@Streetdeck: I use Streetdeck as my frontend and have been very pleased with its performance; however, you should be aware of a current lack of support from its creators. I dont regret my purchase, just something you may want to consider before spending that much money.

@Headunit: I removed my headunit and put a touchscreen in its place since the computer would do everything the headunit did and more. Unless you have a real reason for keeping it, relocating it is probably more effort than its worth.

Comment

^^ i had streetdeck on my last car and i am aware of their horrible customer service, hopefully, i won't need it if i do it right the first time

as for the headunit, i think i'll agree with you on this one, however, the only reason i would want to keep the headunit is because it will make the job easier to wire up my amp and speakers and sub, and also if there is a problem with the computer, i can still listen to music through the headunit

^^^ if you don't mind me asking, what is your exact setup?

Comment

^^^ if you don't mind me asking, what is your exact setup?
                You can click on it under his screen name.
                Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                Want to:
                -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

oh nice...wat's PPC? it's under your specs for the mac mini

Comment

its for Power PC chips (ie not intel), therefore he cannot boot any x86 OS like windows. You will need an intel one to run street deck.
                    check us out at: www.neonboombox.com

Comment

^^^ gotcha, thx for the quick response

Comment

Originally posted by theyell0wdart View Post
                        why shouldn't a run a dual boot? i thot streetdeck was only compatitble with windows?

sorry for the noob questions everyone
                        I'm pretty sure you can just install windows only on the intel mac. You may need the leopard drivers though. I think a few people have done this.

Comment

Originally posted by NeonDev View Post
                          its for Power PC chips (ie not intel), therefore he cannot boot any x86 OS like windows. You will need an intel one to run street deck.
                          Not if you run Parallels or VMWare fusion.

Originally posted by onepuff View Post
                          I'm pretty sure you can just install windows only on the intel mac. You may need the leopard drivers though. I think a few people have done this.
                          Yep, just pop a windows disk in and install away. The drivers off the leopard disk are pretty much a necessity. Although you can hunt down all the drivers off the disk for free if you wanted to.

Comment

you can't run parallels or fusion on PPC machines
                            check us out at: www.neonboombox.com

Comment

Originally posted by NeonDev View Post
                              you can't run parallels or fusion on PPC machines
                              That's odd, thanks for the correction.

Comment

Working...
                              X