Dead Optical Drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead Optical Drive

The optical driver on my Mac Mini has died. It was acting flaky over the last 2 weeks and now I can't boot from it or get it to show up in the OS. It still works mechanically as in ejecting and accepting discs though.

I'm past the 1-year warranty, I bought the Mini in May of last year.

Any suggested vendors to buy a replacement from?

Also, could it be the controller rather than the drive?

I've only ever had the regular DVD drive quit on me, not the slot load. Replaced that one at Circuit City.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I probably should open the case and re-seat the drive to see if it's just loose. It's not really acting like it's loose though.

Comment

Other World Computing has replacement slot-load SuperDrives for under $100. I'm sure you can pick up DVD/CD-RWs for much less than that. They're not hard to replace in the Mini.
        Any day is a good day for golf.

Mazdaspeed6 Carputer Progress: Gone
        (Check Speedy's Install)

Speedy was traded for a 2004 350z - Install complete except for permanent screen installation.

Comment

I found a couple other vendors as well.

And yes, changing the drive isn't too hard. Taking the case apart is probably the hardest step in the process and that's too tough, a little tricky maybe.

Comment

There are many places you can find a replacement optical drive. I would recommend making sure it is the same manufacturer and the preferrably the same model. I have worked with many Macs, a lot of the minis, and in my experience the drive has to be the same model and come from an equivalent machine.

If need be I can point you to some websites I've used in the past to get replacement parts for Macs.

Comment

Working...
            X