Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pls advise - DisplayconfigX or switchResX??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pls advise - DisplayconfigX or switchResX??

Hi guys,
    I tried DisplayconfigX on Mac Mini + Lilliput 701 to set 800x480 but some reason it just doesn't work for me and "Timing" option in the custom resolution is always disabled as well. It could be because of the demo version but I don't know for sure and no reply yet from the developer(s). Then I tried switchResX and it kinda fixes the resolution but it a bit more expensive and works for only 10 days in the demo mode. Do you guys have any idea which one is the better? Anyone out here ever used/using switchResX? Any input highly appreciated. Cheers!!!

It has been a LONG while since i have needed the functionality of those programs. I do distinctly remember i tried both and I also remember I choose displayconfigX because it was easiest to get working. I never did figure out how to do what I needed with sitchresX, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be done.

sorry I'm sure thats not very helpful.
    check us out at: www.neonboombox.com

Comment

I use switchresx; its free. Just download the control panel only. If you need help with settings let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by super-fly View Post
        I use switchresx; its free. Just download the control panel only. If you need help with settings let me know.
        Really - is it free?? That's even better, I didn't know that. What's the difference b2in SwitchResX and the control panel? I've done a basic setting and it's; it's working but doesn't look like perfect. So any info about settings very much appreciated. Cheers!!!

Comment

when you go to the dowloads page go down to where it says dowload control panel only. The control doesnt give you all the fancy features that the other version has but its free. It simply allows you to create custom screen resolutions that can then be choosen from the display preferences. I'll have to double check my settings when I get into my car.

Comment

Looking forward to see your settings. Cheers!!!

Comment

Here are my settings.

Comment

Many thanks super-fly for the settings info, that really helped.
                Another thing though, I uninstall switchResX first before using the control panel only package but it still giving me the warning messege to register. It's nothing that serious, yet but annoying. Do you know any thing about it? Cheers!!

Comment

there is a prefrence folder and plist file somewhere probably. You can either try and find them and delete them or download appzapper and zap it (it will find it for you). They reinstall the control panel only and see if that fixes it.

Comment

another trick also is to disable all resolutions except for the one you want and that way if you need to restart you wont have to change the resoulution everytime, it will just use the one you want.

Comment

Maybe it's not free anymore? In any case, if it is solving a problem for you....why not donate a little to the develope?
                      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                      Want to:
                      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I use SwitchRes X also. I paid for it during the OS 9 days and used it a lot, but hadn't used it in OS X until I needed to set the 800x480 resolution. DisplayConfig is way too expensive for the one thing I need it for.
                        Any day is a good day for golf.

Mazdaspeed6 Carputer Progress: Gone
                        (Check Speedy's Install)

Speedy was traded for a 2004 350z - Install complete except for permanent screen installation.

Comment

Working...
                        X