Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB Hubs

What is everyone using for USB Hubs?

I've got a Belkin 4 Port "USB 2.0 Hub Plus" that I've been using for a while. I just took my carputer install apart (a pain in the a**) to try and setup the Carnetix CNX-P5V with my USB hub. I covered the +5V lead in the USB cable to make the Mac Mini not provide the USB hub power, BUT the USB hub and associated devices are not detected my either my Mac Mini, or my Macbook Pro when the +5V is covered, even though power is still being given to the Hub through its AC Adaptor. At this point, I haven't even attempted to connect it to the CNX-P5V. I figured it'd be safer to try it attached directly to the wall first, and I'm glad I did.

Any tips to get this working? This is beginning to get pretty frustrating. I'm sick of my battery dying.

For the Mac, I use an unpowered hub. For the PC, I use the prototype hub I talked about in the other post.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Where did you buy it? I've looked and even called some manufacturers (Belkin, Dlink) and they all say they don't manufacture any anymore. Which one do you happen to use?

Thanks!

Comment

Didn't buy it. It is the test unit from mp3Car I mentioned here.

They are working on it but I couldn't tell you the date it will be available.

On a side note - it will still wake the Mac if it shuts off AFTER the Mac goes to sleep. The advantage is that it doesn't draw power from the Mini when it is shut off.
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:

Comment

I was talking about the Mac, but I just reread your post and it says unpowered.

How are you handling USB current draw while you have your Mini asleep?

Comment

Im just going to say one thing here and its only my two cents worth..
            Dont buy anything that is made by Belkin... They do not follow standards

Had a belkin "USB Pci" card to allow four more ports.. That took over the common Video PCI IRQ...
            2004 Holden WL Caprice Auto GENIII
            Base System = Raspberry Pi
            Everything else is pending for now as switched from a Mini-ITX setup

Comment

Haha - yah, I have learned Belkin's stuff is pretty crappy. There's a lot of dirt coming out about their business practices right now. Unfortunately, my USB hub is a Belkin as I purchased it before I knew this.

Comment

Originally posted by TTeuer View Post
                I was talking about the Mac, but I just reread your post and it says unpowered.

How are you handling USB current draw while you have your Mini asleep?
                It's never been a problem. I use Sleep time out and if my Mac is asleep more than two hours, it shuts the system down so it doesn't draw any power.
                Want to:

Comment

Working...
                X