Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powerbook G4 power?

Hello all,
    I'm setting up my powerbook (G4 12" 1.5 GHz) for use in the car. it'll be pretty much the guts put in a different case (the display broke on me) to make it smaller.
    I was wondering if it was possible to power the computer through a standard intelligent automotive atx power supply, obviously bypassing the original DC-DC board.

Thanks!
    Josh

Laptops aren't ATX-compliant, so you can't use it the way it was meant to be used.
    IF the power prick outputs 12vDC, you could use an ATX unit to output the 12v, but it's a kluugey solution. I wouldn't recommend it, but others have done it.

Check the output voltage of the power brick. Its likely the necessary voltage can be provided by one of the Carnetix regulators.

And here's a good read for you: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/advf...iew&advfaqid=6
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

my charger puts out 24Vdc @ 2.7A ==> 65W
      So, no dice for the carnetix supplies...

I guess i'll be looking out for a cigarette lighter charger.

Comment

The ATX PSU's couldn't put out the 24vDC you need, either, so that's out as well.

A cig lighter power adapter can be hardw-wired to the car, so that's an option.
        How about the Wiki?

Comment

yea, i figured that's the best way to go, and wire an interrupt switch in the cig lighter.
          (it's not switched) should I use a relay for that, or can i just cut the positive wire and run it through a switch?

Comment

If you wire it to an ignition-controlled circuit (or use a relay controlled by ignition), you don't need a switch at all. A turn of the ignition key is your switch.
            If the Powerbook has an option to boot when it receives power, then you're set.
            How about the Wiki?

Comment

the current going through a 12Vdc relay should be negligible right?

Comment

have you checked if apple makes a car charger?
                Scion CarPC

Bluetooth Audio Gateway Tutorial

How to speed up boot with buried features in msconfig

Comment

no they don't, but these guys do. I'm thinking about just ordering that.
                  duh forgot link...

http://macwizards.com/store/product_...products_id=32

Comment

there you go, just use that, but i would hard wire it though, if you don't want to cut your brand new adapter you can hard wire the end of one of these and connect the other end to the adapter
                    http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062266
                    Scion CarPC

Bluetooth Audio Gateway Tutorial

How to speed up boot with buried features in msconfig

Comment

Since I plan on using my old PowerBook G4 in my car, I guess I'll help shed some light on this subject. Go ahead and buy that charger from MacWizards. Now, you have a choice. You can either cut off the plug & hardwire it to a relay, or you can buy one of THESE and wire it to the relay. Then, wire that relay to the ignition so it gives that plug power apon startup.

Then, when the car shuts off, it is no longer charging the PowerBook. Now, from what I have read (because I have not personally tried it), the laptop should go to sleep mode when there is no Display detected (because it turns off when car is off), and there is no power. When in sleep mode & on a full charge, it should last for at around 10-11days w/o drawing a single drop of power from your car.

Then, when the car is started, the PowerBook should detect power (from the charger you bought) and it should detect the Monitor. This should automatically wake the PowerBook. If it doesn't, you can just hit a button on the wireless keyboard, & it wakes up to full use in a matter of seconds.

There you go, that's my plans for when I hook mine up.

Comment

Working...
                      X