Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

powerbook or hackintosh?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • powerbook or hackintosh?

    Ok, folks I'm totally new to this scene and I'm pounding my head on the ground here.

    I have a powerbook which is mobo happy but screen flakey. which I was considering to hack into a kitchen PC for the GF ... but a carpc is looking pretty sweet.

    I do have a MacBook Pro for my daily life ...

    So, would spending about $200 to build a hackintosh be a safer bet over delaying the GF's dream of wifi recipes on demand? lolo, she's a live in type not my ... wife (had one of those before )

    Which ever method I do go it's going to be OSX with windoze running the fun stuff for OBDII.

    Also, before I forget ... what are my options for bluetooth to run my iphone for a handsfree setup?

    Thanks all and sorry for the newb questions

  • #2
    Originally posted by SapporoGuy View Post

    Also, before I forget ... what are my options for bluetooth to run my iphone for a handsfree setup?
    Unfortunately, poor. BluePhoneElite is AFAIK the only option for bluetooth handsfree and it does not work properly on outgoing calls due to a bug in the iPhone (and some other phones like some Blackberrys) implementation of Bluetooth. Incoming apparently works OK, but I didn't want to pay for it if the implementation was buggy.

    If someone else knows of another solution I'd be glad to hear it.
    Any day is a good day for golf.

    Mazdaspeed6 Carputer Progress: Gone
    (Check Speedy's Install)

    Speedy was traded for a 2004 350z - Install complete except for permanent screen installation.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by golfguy View Post
      Unfortunately, poor. BluePhoneElite is AFAIK the only option for bluetooth handsfree and it does not work properly on outgoing calls due to a bug in the iPhone (and some other phones like some Blackberrys) implementation of Bluetooth. Incoming apparently works OK, but I didn't want to pay for it if the implementation was buggy.

      If someone else knows of another solution I'd be glad to hear it.
      I'm using BPE on a trial and the outgoing call function seems to work just fine.
      Sound System () 100%
      Power System () 100%
      MacMini Setup () 100%

      Comment


      • #4
        With an iPhone?
        Any day is a good day for golf.

        Mazdaspeed6 Carputer Progress: Gone
        (Check Speedy's Install)

        Speedy was traded for a 2004 350z - Install complete except for permanent screen installation.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by golfguy View Post
          With an iPhone?
          Yes indeed. iPhone 3G running jailbroken 3.1.2.
          Sound System () 100%
          Power System () 100%
          MacMini Setup () 100%

          Comment


          • #6
            Question: what mic/input are you guys using for sound input for the mini?
            Or are you simply using BPE on the mini as a speaker for the calls?
            All systems are a go...
            Currently in "tweaking" mode.

            The Worklog

            Comment


            • #7
              Powerbook with flaky screen is your easiest option if you intend to run OS X primarily and Windows secondarily via Fusion or Parallels or Virtualbox. It's already built and ready to go. All you need is a car adaptor and screen and you're done.
              Originally posted by ghettocruzer
              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
              Want to:
              -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
              -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

              Comment


              • #8
                Hmm, that depends though. As a current PB user, I know that Virtualization software of any kind can run slow on a PB. In fact, being that PowerBooks run on either G3 or G4 PPC processors, I would go with a hackintosh, or better yet, a used/refurb'd mac mini. At least those use intel processors, and can be Mac/Windows native.
                All systems are a go...
                Currently in "tweaking" mode.

                The Worklog

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Project07MACry View Post
                  Hmm, that depends though. As a current PB user, I know that Virtualization software of any kind can run slow on a PB. In fact, being that PowerBooks run on either G3 or G4 PPC processors, I would go with a hackintosh, or better yet, a used/refurb'd mac mini. At least those use intel processors, and can be Mac/Windows native.
                  i second this. with the way apple is leaving ppc mac behind entirely (no new updates os wise ever). It seems logical to go with at least a intel mini. hacintosh wouldn't be bad, although you are floating in uncharted waters as far as bugs and such, especially in the car environment.

                  vmware fusion just released ver 3 of their virtualization software, and it is blazing fast on a snow leopard mac. it can run win 7 with full areo support (not that you need win 7 in a car). Boot times are also much faster now with vmware fusion 3. All that to say that none of that is possible with a ppc mac.

                  IMHO your best bet is to try to snag a gently used intel mac mini from ebay/craigslist or wherever. you would prob be much happier with it for longer.
                  Check out the new version of NAS, a cross platform music frontend here

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Sorry for the late reply

                    Thanks guys for the info!

                    Still debating on going hackintosh or getting a macbook (intel) that is just the mobo parts.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by SapporoGuy View Post
                      Sorry for the late reply

                      Thanks guys for the info!

                      Still debating on going hackintosh or getting a macbook (intel) that is just the mobo parts.
                      I know it's not part of the choices but you could take a look at USED mac Mini (intel). Even the first generation are running fast enough for a CarPC.

                      I tried Mini-ITX and now running MacMini, if I knew at that time I would have chosen Mac!!

                      Just my 2 cents
                      VmtSquad - I sold my soul to Honda!
                      Final Install
                      CarPC progress: 95%

                      Comment


                      • #12


                        I've had good luck with a used, older Intel Mac Mini and I would also recommend that approach. You don't need much horsepower to run carputer apps. I'm even running Garmin Mobile PC in a virtualized Windows XP environment, along with ICE3 in Snow Leopard, and it's plenty fast.
                        Any day is a good day for golf.

                        Mazdaspeed6 Carputer Progress: Gone
                        (Check Speedy's Install)

                        Speedy was traded for a 2004 350z - Install complete except for permanent screen installation.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X