powerbook or hackintosh?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• powerbook or hackintosh?

Ok, folks I'm totally new to this scene and I'm pounding my head on the ground here.

I have a powerbook which is mobo happy but screen flakey. which I was considering to hack into a kitchen PC for the GF ... but a carpc is looking pretty sweet.

I do have a MacBook Pro for my daily life ...

So, would spending about $200 to build a hackintosh be a safer bet over delaying the GF's dream of wifi recipes on demand? lolo, she's a live in type not my ... wife (had one of those before )

Which ever method I do go it's going to be OSX with windoze running the fun stuff for OBDII.

Also, before I forget ... what are my options for bluetooth to run my iphone for a handsfree setup?

Thanks all and sorry for the newb questions

Originally posted by SapporoGuy View Post

Also, before I forget ... what are my options for bluetooth to run my iphone for a handsfree setup?
    Unfortunately, poor. BluePhoneElite is AFAIK the only option for bluetooth handsfree and it does not work properly on outgoing calls due to a bug in the iPhone (and some other phones like some Blackberrys) implementation of Bluetooth. Incoming apparently works OK, but I didn't want to pay for it if the implementation was buggy.

If someone else knows of another solution I'd be glad to hear it.
    Any day is a good day for golf.

Mazdaspeed6 Carputer Progress: Gone
    (Check Speedy's Install)

Speedy was traded for a 2004 350z - Install complete except for permanent screen installation.

Comment

Originally posted by golfguy View Post
      Unfortunately, poor. BluePhoneElite is AFAIK the only option for bluetooth handsfree and it does not work properly on outgoing calls due to a bug in the iPhone (and some other phones like some Blackberrys) implementation of Bluetooth. Incoming apparently works OK, but I didn't want to pay for it if the implementation was buggy.

If someone else knows of another solution I'd be glad to hear it.
      I'm using BPE on a trial and the outgoing call function seems to work just fine.
      Sound System () 100%
      Power System () 100%
      MacMini Setup () 100%

Comment

With an iPhone?

(Check Speedy's Install)

Speedy was traded for a 2004 350z - Install complete except for permanent screen installation.

Comment

Originally posted by golfguy View Post
          With an iPhone?
          Yes indeed. iPhone 3G running jailbroken 3.1.2.
          Sound System () 100%
          Power System () 100%
          MacMini Setup () 100%

Comment

Question: what mic/input are you guys using for sound input for the mini?
            Or are you simply using BPE on the mini as a speaker for the calls?
            All systems are a go...
            Currently in "tweaking" mode.

The Worklog

Comment

Powerbook with flaky screen is your easiest option if you intend to run OS X primarily and Windows secondarily via Fusion or Parallels or Virtualbox. It's already built and ready to go. All you need is a car adaptor and screen and you're done.
              Originally posted by ghettocruzer
              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
              Want to:
              -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
              -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Hmm, that depends though. As a current PB user, I know that Virtualization software of any kind can run slow on a PB. In fact, being that PowerBooks run on either G3 or G4 PPC processors, I would go with a hackintosh, or better yet, a used/refurb'd mac mini. At least those use intel processors, and can be Mac/Windows native.
                All systems are a go...
                Currently in "tweaking" mode.

The Worklog

Comment

Originally posted by Project07MACry View Post
                  Hmm, that depends though. As a current PB user, I know that Virtualization software of any kind can run slow on a PB. In fact, being that PowerBooks run on either G3 or G4 PPC processors, I would go with a hackintosh, or better yet, a used/refurb'd mac mini. At least those use intel processors, and can be Mac/Windows native.
                  i second this. with the way apple is leaving ppc mac behind entirely (no new updates os wise ever). It seems logical to go with at least a intel mini. hacintosh wouldn't be bad, although you are floating in uncharted waters as far as bugs and such, especially in the car environment.

vmware fusion just released ver 3 of their virtualization software, and it is blazing fast on a snow leopard mac. it can run win 7 with full areo support (not that you need win 7 in a car). Boot times are also much faster now with vmware fusion 3. All that to say that none of that is possible with a ppc mac.

IMHO your best bet is to try to snag a gently used intel mac mini from ebay/craigslist or wherever. you would prob be much happier with it for longer.
                  Check out the new version of NAS, a cross platform music frontend here

Comment

Sorry for the late reply

Thanks guys for the info!

Still debating on going hackintosh or getting a macbook (intel) that is just the mobo parts.

Comment

Originally posted by SapporoGuy View Post
                      Sorry for the late reply

Thanks guys for the info!

Still debating on going hackintosh or getting a macbook (intel) that is just the mobo parts.
                      I know it's not part of the choices but you could take a look at USED mac Mini (intel). Even the first generation are running fast enough for a CarPC.

I tried Mini-ITX and now running MacMini, if I knew at that time I would have chosen Mac!!

Just my 2 cents
                      VmtSquad - I sold my soul to Honda!
                      Final Install
                      CarPC progress: 95%

Comment

I've had good luck with a used, older Intel Mac Mini and I would also recommend that approach. You don't need much horsepower to run carputer apps. I'm even running Garmin Mobile PC in a virtualized Windows XP environment, along with ICE3 in Snow Leopard, and it's plenty fast.

(Check Speedy's Install)

Comment

Working...
                        X