Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CarMac in my Alpine A310

Hi,

i'm an In-Car-Audiophile from Germany with an oldtimer from France.
    Curently there is a tablet PC installed in the dashboard, but i plan to change to a MacMini setup very soon.

That's the car where the Mac shall be integrated in:

Currently the dashboard looks like this:

And here is the computer/audio setup i plan:

Do you think, something is missing?

Very interesting and ambitious!

1. I'd be wary of so many USB devices...do you really need them? Can one USB hub deal with them all? At one point you're going to run out of bandwidth with one, so I'm assuming you'll use more, right?

2. A preamp just for the mic? Why? USB powered? Hummm.

3. Where the smaller screen will be placed?

4. Keep posting updates!
    Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
    Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

1. I'd be wary of so many USB devices...do you really need them? Can one USB hub deal with them all? At one point you're going to run out of bandwidth with one, so I'm assuming you'll use more, right?
      Not all USB devices will be connected all the time.
      The mic preamp for example is intended for measuring purposes only. It is plugged in only when needed.
      The DVD drive will not be used very often.

Generally devices with high demand of bandwidth are connected directly to the Mini's USB ports. The hub handles only small bandwidths.

3. Where the smaller screen will be placed?
      The 8" display will occupy the space in the dashboard where the tabletPC is sitting now.
      The 3.5" USB display will be popped up in the console by a servo, driven by the Phidgets.
      The 24" display will be laminated in the trunk lid, which is in front of the car because the engine is in the back. It will only serve for "show purposes".

Navigation will be done by an iPod Touch and look like this (photoshopped):

4. Keep posting updates!
      It will be my pleasure!

Comment

Firstly - Sony XDP4000 - very nice.

secondly, I found the D-Link 7 port hub is darn useless - it powers up the USB devices even when the PC is turned off.

Connect the critical parts, such as touch screen WiFi and mAudio, to the Mac directly, and only use a hub for the less essential parts.
        MacMini in an Alfa? - Why not!

Comment

The USB hub will be powered down when the Mini goes to sleep and powered up when the Mini awakes.
          This will be done by the Phidgets and some AppleScripts.

And yes, the important devices will be connected directly to the Mini's USB ports.

Comment

Working...
          X