Wiring Carnetix Valet Switches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Carnetix Valet Switches

Its hard to search for the right keywords, so forgive me if I couldnt locate a thread that answered this issue...

We all know putting a simple switch between the IGN and any Carnetix will keep the computer from booting when OFF.

Id seen this before, but the photos arent a diagram for the setup...and id like to get one together or locate one.

What about wiring a switch which has 3 positions:
    always ON (even with car off, no key in ignition)
    always OFF (valet switch)
    normal (follows IGN position on/off)

I know this requires using the IGN wire and the power wire...but...um...which ones to where on what kind of switch?
    (All done)
    iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

you can get a 3-position switch at just about any store that sells automotive accessories (auto-zone for sure has them). it would be as simple as grounding the switch, running one power wire from the switch to the carnetix, and then run the IGN and BAT to the different nodes on the switch. should be as simple as that. Obviously, check the instructions on the particular switch before starting, as well as hold off actually hooking the power wire into the carnetix until you run some tests with a voltmeter or ground light to make sure your wiring is correct. Overall it should be very simple.
    Check out the new version of NAS, a cross platform music frontend here

Comment

Something like:

ignition wire / +12v --> switch --> carnetix

With one setting being just the ignition wire to carnetix.
      Another being the always on +12v to the carnetix (which would act like IGN only never turns off regardless of key position)
      Last being none of the above and off.

So I guess Id be taking the red and yellow wires from the car, hooking them to the switch and outputting only ONE wire to the carnetix IGN/ACC?

Why would I need to ground the switch?
      (All done)

Comment

the ground may not be needed on all switches. Some have them while others don't. if the switch you buy has one then you will really want to use it. Just make sure you read the instructions for that particular switch.

Comment

^^ The Ground may be used to light up the LED inside the switch. RTFM or instructions is always a MUST!
          VmtSquad - I sold my soul to Honda!
          Final Install
          CarPC progress: 95%

Comment

Ah yes, the LED versions would definitely.

I was even thinking of going with a key switch instead of hiding it. When I leave the car, turn the switch and take the keys with me as I was going to anyway.

But in any event, this is a DPDT situation, right?
            (All done)

Comment

That would be SPDT ON-OFF-ON, but DPDT would work as well. Not ON-(OFF)-ON or (ON)-OFF-(ON), just to clarify.

Comment

Basically 2 inputs, 1 output.

With a centered no output.

Not sure I understand when you say: "ON-(OFF)-ON or (ON)-OFF-(ON)"
                (All done)

Comment

(momentary)

Comment

What I did is Place a KILL Switch (ON/OFF) that controls the 12v coming from the battery, if this switch at ON position I can turn it ON with the SECOND switch (ON/OFF) if its at OFF position the computer will never come ON. (can also be called a security switch when leaving the car at dealer or else). The second switch is connected to the KILL switch and then on the IGNITION wire or the CNX.

Basically I can turn on and off the computer even when my car is not started, thats pretty usefull when you need something fast at the corner store and don't want to turn off the computer...

Needs to be carefull if you go with that setup as if you forgot to turn it off, it will drain your battery!
                    VmtSquad - I sold my soul to Honda!
                    Final Install
                    CarPC progress: 95%

Comment

Originally posted by VmtSquad View Post
                      What I did is Place a KILL Switch (ON/OFF) that controls the 12v coming from the battery, if this switch at ON position I can turn it ON with the SECOND switch (ON/OFF) if its at OFF position the computer will never come ON. (can also be called a security switch when leaving the car at dealer or else). The second switch is connected to the KILL switch and then on the IGNITION wire or the CNX.

Basically I can turn on and off the computer even when my car is not started, thats pretty usefull when you need something fast at the corner store and don't want to turn off the computer...

Needs to be carefull if you go with that setup as if you forgot to turn it off, it will drain your battery!
                      Not if you set the Carnetix dead man timer it wont drain it away completely. Set Mac to deep sleep, no power issues. I just want to be able to run the computer without the car on and turn it off for valet/mechanics.

An SPDT with center off position is perfect I believe. 2 ins, one out...or am I completely messing up this idea in my head!?
                      http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...-SWITCH/1.html is what im leaning towards

http://www.fastmatt.com/carputer/ is the inspiration I got, however he's using a DPDT? Why?
                      (All done)

Comment

an alternate option to your setup is to set the jumper on the carnetix to allow the machine to stay on for 15min. the downside to this is that it will ALWAYS stay on for 15min after you turn off the vehicle. but actually, your setup is better as long as you remember to turn it back off

Comment

Well, I think the way I have it, Id leave it in the "normal" position which keeps the IGN hooked up to the PSU.

Id set it to the "extended" position for when I dont want to turn on the car, but run the puter.

Id only ever turn it to OFF when giving the car to a valet/mechanic and dont want the puter available at all. In the OFF position, the PSU detects no IGN voltage and by the jumpers, turns off the computer at a set time.
                          (All done)

Comment

Originally posted by sdashiki View Post
                            Not if you set the Carnetix dead man timer it wont drain it away completely. Set Mac to deep sleep, no power issues. I just want to be able to run the computer without the car on and turn it off for valet/mechanics.

An SPDT with center off position is perfect I believe. 2 ins, one out...or am I completely messing up this idea in my head!?
                            http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...-SWITCH/1.html is what im leaning towards

http://www.fastmatt.com/carputer/ is the inspiration I got, however he's using a DPDT? Why?
                            That one from all electronics will work perfectly. A DPDT won't give you any advantages, but would allow you to hook up an LED to the 2nd circuit later to remind you that it's on, after you kill the battery a few times.

Timers...

Comment

I have the mini set to deep sleep...and to sleep when inactive for 15 minutes.

So, I have the car set for "normal" mode (IGN state aware) and I turn off and leave the car. I have the PSU set to sleep the computer after X minutes. Should that fail, the mini SHOULD turn itself to sleep based on the system pref setting.

No power should be drawn anymore.

Another scenario is I leave the switch to "extended" and run it without the car on. The PSU timer wont ever kick in, but hopefully the OSX one will after 15 minutes.

My setup involves a 2nd tank battery and isolator which would eliminate any problems that should occur, but thats for when I get done with the entire install first.
                              (All done)

Comment

Working...
                              X