Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mac Mini mods for car install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mac Mini mods for car install

    Mac Mini is ready to install in the car.

    3 mods complete.

    Removed the internal power supply and replaced it with a new cable with a DC power plug.



    Added a Splitter to the on/off switch to allow the DC power supply or a dash mounted switch.





    Installed a WiFi antenna cable for an external WiFi antenna.





    Here are some pics after assembly.







    Everything works and the WiFi reception has improved.

  • #2
    Very cool. Nice neat way to simplify in car installation.
    My 2007 Ford F350 Work Log located HERE

    Comment


    • #3
      Nice job. I'm considering using a mac mini in some function as well.
      F350 Superduty 7.3L Diesel - build thread

      Comment


      • #4
        MAC mini installed.

        .

        .

        Comment


        • #5
          Awesome!!!
          Glad to see another Mac mini install on here! Also glad to see another trunk install!!
          Got to say, seeing your setup has now got me considering upgrading to the new Mac Mini next time around.
          All systems are a go...
          Currently in "tweaking" mode.

          The Worklog

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Project07MACry View Post
            Awesome!!!
            Glad to see another Mac mini install on here! Also glad to see another trunk install!!
            Got to say, seeing your setup has now got me considering upgrading to the new Mac Mini next time around.
            I was a bit worried but just kept working on it.

            It is absolutely awesome now that it is done.

            I am a PC guy for the most part but this setup has changed me forever.

            I will replace my PC with a Mac this year.

            The three mods I did to the mini were easy.

            Let me know when you get close and I will save you some time.

            Comment


            • #7
              Update on pulling the internal PSU.

              I purchased a kit from overseas to make it easy. Now that it is done I recommend the following.

              Pull the PSU and you will find the cable connected from the PSU to the motherboard.



              Just cut this in half, use half in the motherboard and the other half on the PSU outside the case.

              Just wire in a DC male and female plug.

              Cheap and easy!!!!
              Last edited by cazzz; 03-18-2013, 12:44 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by cazzz View Post
                Update on pulling the internal PSU.

                I purchased a kit from overseas to make it easy. Now that it is done I recommend the following.

                Pull the PSU and you will find the cable connected from the PSU to the motherboard.



                Just cut this in half, use half in the motherboard and the other half on the PSU outside the case.

                Just wire in a DC male and female plug.

                Cheap and easy!!!!
                I'm in the process of modding plug and installing in car now. Is there any way we could connect? I could really use some help on it. PM me and i'll shoot u my # to call/text.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by evolved_st8 View Post
                  I'm in the process of modding plug and installing in car now. Is there any way we could connect? I could really use some help on it. PM me and i'll shoot u my # to call/text.
                  PM sent

                  Parts needed.

                  Power- DC plugs, one case mount, two attached to wires.



                  This will allow you to plug in your mac mini in the car and in the housing using the DC PSU you took out of the case.

                  WiFi- from Mp3car store the wireless wifi antenna with pigtail works great except the pigtail is not long enough. So, I found a longer pigtail. I will have to find the info on where I got it. This allows you to use the Wifi antenna in the car and the house.

                  Turn on/off - the part you need was sold by itself in the Mp3car store but I cant find it. It is part of the plug and play cable kit for the mac mini. The cable only works on 2010 and older but the "Y" circuit you need is in the kit. Contact [email protected] and see if they still sell just the "Y" cable assembly.

                  This will give us a place to start from.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X