iDash progress

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iDash progress

Okay so I have roughed out the UI. I designed the window at 800x480 since thats what most will probably be using, however it will scale to any size above that. I locked the setting so that it won't go below 800x480 since it screws the layout up. Here it is:

The only thing that works is the 'settings' button which pops up a settings panel. I couldnt get anything else to work because I couldnt access the internet for reference. I'm ****ed that T-Mobile won't at least put up a tower or two at the ski resorts so I could get at GPRS. The Next and Back buttons, which control iTunes, are easy to get working since thats just a simple applescript. Also, the reason why the icons are so freakin huge is because i just went into the application bundles and dragged the icon set into Interface Builder, which I can't figure out how to get it to look at the smaller icons.

All done with Interface builder?
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Yep. Pretty easy too. Just go under the 'applescript' tab and name it, and it will automatically link it to an applescript of your choice, and update it in xcode.

Comment

damn, pretty nice! I'm bidding on the iBook tonight to win, and I will be willing to join the development cause. its very promising that you did the interface so easily.
        "If it works this good why F with it?" -KMFDM "Intro"

Strive for ethical wardriving: http://faq.wardrive.net/

My CarCPUs: v1 - 2000 | v2 - 2004
        Mp3Car Meets: http://detrimental.org/eyecandy/MP3CarMeets

Comment

Would you need Aqua icons and buttons made in photoshop? I can perhaps contribute that way?

Let me know.

BTW, how can i get my hand on Interface builder?

GMed

Comment

All the stuff that i'm using is available through apple's Xcode, with the latest version on the apple developer site for free (connect.apple.com).

If you have design skills, i'd love to have a cool icon made up for idash. However, remember that OS X requires several icons, all in tiff format. A small (16x16), large, (32x32), huge (48x48), and Thumbnail (128x128), and a 1-bit mask for each (so that OS X can do transparency and other cool stuff. I'll find the appropriate docs later tonight.

Comment

Would it be possible to do tabbed interface sort of like the www.apple.com website? have one tab for itunes, one for dvd player, one for mail, one for photo and one for settings?

Comment

ooo good idea. Lemme prototype one quickly...

Comment

okay heres one I whipped up quickly.

Sorry about the lack of icons. I didnt open it from Xcode so there aren't any there.

Comment

I like this layout better! Keep going, looks great!
                    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                    Want to:
                    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Is it easier to code for mac than it is for windows?
                      2.4 celeron
                      150 watt OPUS
                      micro atx
                      xp pro
                      tv/radio tuner card
                      audigy
                      Dual monitor Radeon
                      802.11G Mimo
                      xm pcr
                      dvd
                      gps
                      8" Lilliput touch screen
                      IGuidance
                      dual optimas
                      battery isolator
                      15" screen
                      My Truck

Comment

well looks like I should have music running by the end of the week. See the "now playing" thing? That should be scrolling the current track playing. Thats going to need some work.

On a random note... The software BluePhoneElite, which is used to have your mac control your bluetooth phone, will support applescripting with its 1.0 release in 4-6 weeks. I'd really like to make a tight integration with it, as bluetooth phone integration is something that only Acura OEM systems have integrated. While I cant do everything that they do (like programming your phone to be the car key, so you just walk up with your phone and start the car), I can do most. Apparently, with 10.4 OS X will be able to use a non-bluetooth mic input as a headset for your bluetooth phone. Until then, this thing will be able to read your sms's, and voice-dial your contacts. Again, voice-activating this shouldn't be too hard but we'll see.

Sourceforge project (if approved) will be called iDash. I need someone who can make a website that looks somewhat pretty. Helpful would be some coders, since I have no idea what I'm doing.

Funny, I just did a cost-analysis of what itll cost someone to install an idash, and its going to cost less than a regular car computer.
                        $500 mac mini
                        $300 touchscreen
                        $129 Airport & Bluetooth card
                        $50 3rd party RAM upgrade
                        $40 Route 66
                        $40 GPS
                        $50 XM Reciever
                        $1110 Total.
                        Compare that to the $2000 to upgrade an Acura TL to include the Nav system & the other extras. Besides, you can't hack it anyways!

Comment

Originally posted by n8scstm
                          Is it easier to code for mac than it is for windows?
                          Haven't coded for windows, so I can't say how hard it is. But I will tell you that it took me about 2 minutes to do that last UI example.

Here is the code you need to tell iTunes to go to the next track:
                          Code:
                          tell application "iTunes"
                             next track
                          end tell

While things like voice recognition are a bit more complicated, you won't need to go out and license massive voice rec libraries, since everything's built into the OS. Speech synthesis is just something along the lines of
                          Code:
                           speak in voice Fred "Turn Left ahead"
                          , but its probably something slightly different. I got all the buttons along the bottom working tonight in about 10 minutes. 5 were spent figuring out the right combination of keys to turn the display to white-on-black (its command-option-control-8 btw).

Comment

Originally posted by thecapitalizt
                            well looks like I should have music running by the end of the week. See the "now playing" thing? That should be scrolling the current track playing. Thats going to need some work.

On a random note... The software BluePhoneElite, which is used to have your mac control your bluetooth phone, will support applescripting with its 1.0 release in 4-6 weeks. I'd really like to make a tight integration with it, as bluetooth phone integration is something that only Acura OEM systems have integrated. While I cant do everything that they do (like programming your phone to be the car key, so you just walk up with your phone and start the car), I can do most. Apparently, with 10.4 OS X will be able to use a non-bluetooth mic input as a headset for your bluetooth phone. Until then, this thing will be able to read your sms's, and voice-dial your contacts. Again, voice-activating this shouldn't be too hard but we'll see.

Sourceforge project (if approved) will be called iDash. I need someone who can make a website that looks somewhat pretty. Helpful would be some coders, since I have no idea what I'm doing.

Funny, I just did a cost-analysis of what itll cost someone to install an idash, and its going to cost less than a regular car computer.
                            $500 mac mini
                            $300 touchscreen
                            $129 Airport & Bluetooth card
                            $50 3rd party RAM upgrade
                            $40 Route 66
                            $40 GPS
                            $50 XM Reciever
                            $1110 Total.
                            Compare that to the $2000 to upgrade an Acura TL to include the Nav system & the other extras. Besides, you can't hack it anyways!
                            Make sure the touchscreen has MAC OS drivers
                            PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                            GammaControl v2.4
                            SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Originally posted by 0l33l
                              Make sure the touchscreen has MAC OS drivers
                              and both Lilliput and Xenac have them:-P
                              "If it works this good why F with it?" -KMFDM "Intro"

Strive for ethical wardriving: http://faq.wardrive.net/

My CarCPUs: v1 - 2000 | v2 - 2004
                              Mp3Car Meets: http://detrimental.org/eyecandy/MP3CarMeets

Comment

Working...
                              X