Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plans for your Mini-Mac?

Hey all-
    With the new minimacs out and a powersource on its way from Carnetix I'm sure we're bound to see them hitting cars soon. I'm just wondering what peoples plans are for them? Will you be taking it out of the case and try to seperate the cd drive from it? Or try and mod it to fit into the car somehow. Once I get mine next week I'll have a better idea what it looks like inside and what I can do, but I'de like to have the cd drive extended to the dashboard somewhere, and the actual cpu in the glove box. Not sure if it'll work though.

-matt

One thing that I belive that a lot of people will do is to make it into a dockable form. The thing about the Mini-itx board is that it wasnt what most would call powerful, but the Mac Mini is fast enough to do a lot of tasks, like edit in final cut pro.

Reminds me of the most hardcore car computer ever: a car with an xserve in the back, 2 TB's in the xserve, a plasma in the backseat, and two formac displays up front. You could edit in high-def, and use the second LCD as a full-res playback monitor when editing in HD.

Comment

Originally posted by thecapitalizt
      One thing that I belive that a lot of people will do is to make it into a dockable form. The thing about the Mini-itx board is that it wasnt what most would call powerful, but the Mac Mini is fast enough to do a lot of tasks, like edit in final cut pro.
      I did an experiment on a dual 1ghz G4 with 512 megs of ram, I wanted to see how many programs i could run at once. 1,400 programs before it got too slow to move, not crash, just too slow.

You would need a firewire drive to edit in Final Cut though, I heard that the Hard Drive won't be fast enough to support it.

P.S. the programs i used were safari, illustrator, photoshop, ie, all the utilities, flash, and a few more i cant remember.
      I hope the mods don't realize I can still post.

Comment

Originally posted by rockthevolvo
        I did an experiment on a dual 1ghz G4 with 512 megs of ram, I wanted to see how many programs i could run at once. 1,400 programs before it got too slow to move, not crash, just too slow.

You would need a firewire drive to edit in Final Cut though, I heard that the Hard Drive won't be fast enough to support it.

P.S. the programs i used were safari, illustrator, photoshop, ie, all the utilities, flash, and a few more i cant remember.
        Yeah the drive is very sluggish, its 4200 rpm some people are getting fill ins with 5400 rpm but a majority of the take aparts I've seen are the 4200 rpm ones.

Comment

Almost makes you want to get the machine and replace the drive with a smaller faster drive, like 10 gig, then use the 80 gig with an external case, I've seen cases, usb2 go for cheap, like 10 bucks.

-matt

Comment

Mac mini + Honda Element

I plan on installing a Mac mini into my '04 Honda Element.

Mac mini 1.25Ghz, 1GB RAM, Airport, Bluetooth
            Xenarc 7" Touchscreen
            GPS - Rayming TripNav TN-200 GPS receiver + Route 66 software?
            FM - RadioShark or MyTV2Go

The touchscreen will be mounted via goosneck to the seat bolt. The Mac mini under the passenger seat and connected to the factory stereo system via mini-jack to AUX in on the dash.

I'm still researching the power supply issue, but will probably start with a DC converter until OPUS releases its Mac solution.

Other things I'm thinking about is the new Griffin AirClick remote to control apps (iTunes, etc) or experimenting with voice commands.

Any ideas/suggestions welcomed.

Comment

Planned install for my Mazda3 Hatch

*Mac mini 1.2 Ghz, with bluetooth and airport, 256ram (upgrade after I get it, cheaper that way)
              *GPS (no clue on the hardware yet, any suggestions?)
              *Lilliput Touch screen
              *external hard drive (150-200 GB)
              *USB Hub under the arm rest (or in the dash maybe)
              *Ipod Cradle in the storage compartment under the armrest
              *Headunit for sound
              *(looking into other sound options leaving the mini, ie: USB soundcard)

*Screen will be mounted in the dash where the stock HU is now
              *New headunit will be where the old ashtray was, never used it anyway. Mainly for radio and the girlfriend to play her CD's because she can't even figure out my ipod at the moment.
              *Mac Mini will be nicely tucked away in my glove box and the ext. hard drive will be under one of the seats.

peace
              Michael
              Mazda 3, meet Mac Mini. Mac Mini, meet Mazda 3.
              Mac Mini in-car coming soon.
              Progress: [||||||||||||||||||--] (90% Complete,Initial install is complete, now adding on and fine tuning.)
              Progress Blog: http://mikemazda3.blogspot.com/

Comment

Firs tI wouldnt get a lilliput, mine died on me and it didnt even make it into the car. (grr) As for the sound card via usb I'm not sure what mac supports but I was planning on using on board sound, though I'm not a huge soundbuff. If you're gonna use the head unit you could always use a good fm modulator. As for the gps, I've no idea what works and doesnt work with macs at the moment, I do know that Route66 seemes to be the only program out there. But there is a possibity of using linux gps programs, if there are any, on osx.

Otherwise, your setup looks similar to mine, awesome! Keep us posted on the progress and all that, I wanna see!

-matt

Comment

I am going to get a MacMini to put it next to my PC and hopefully it will make my PC think its fat and convince it to lose weight.
                  StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
                  Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
                  The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

Originally posted by mattdisaster
                    Firs tI wouldnt get a lilliput, mine died on me and it didnt even make it into the car. (grr) As for the sound card via usb I'm not sure what mac supports but I was planning on using on board sound, though I'm not a huge soundbuff. If you're gonna use the head unit you could always use a good fm modulator. As for the gps, I've no idea what works and doesnt work with macs at the moment, I do know that Route66 seemes to be the only program out there. But there is a possibity of using linux gps programs, if there are any, on osx.
                    Griffin has a firewire soundcard coming out (that's what it seems like to me anyway, not other pix than what is on their site and it's only of the front, here's a link http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/firewave/)

and I used an FM modulator for my iPod for awhile and the quality was crap- like really bad crap- so that's why I'm going the way of a hardwire to the new HU- but the HU is one I have sitting around and the AUX in I have too so it's cheaper than getting an amp or FM modulator.
                    As for GPS I know I'm stuck with route 66 for now- but if the Macmini takes off in the carputer world like we think it will then we may be seeing some more GPS software in the near future.

I might post some sketches ideas I have for my setup by the end of the weekend.

Peace
                    Michael
                    Progress: [||||||||||||||||||--] (90% Complete,Initial install is complete, now adding on and fine tuning.)

Comment

Sweet, I can't wait till that firewire sound card ships. That's the last thing I was waiting for to connect into my system. I hope it has an optical output.

Dave

Comment

it is firewire and it is bus-powered!
                        2005 m3 coupe, carputer to come...

Comment

Umm

Well the thing aboot the minimac is that apple never sold something so cheap and so powerful. While a 1.42GHZ processor sounds slow, a G4 is not a computer to take lightly. This is amazing for myself in that I was ready to buy an old 450Mhz g4 tower and strip it just for the mobo/processor.

With the mini, the HD is crap, use it for OSX and buy another for media thats better, larger and faster.

The case, tho neet isnt why I want it, nor the size, its the damn cost, plain and simple. A NEW apple computer to work with for $500? Sweet. Just jack it up with some mods and someone will eventually (cough, me) make a frontend. I hope. :P
                          (All done)
                          iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

Comment

okay- so lets say I go and buy a Macmini- then I pop in a different hard drive to replace the one in there- could I just pop in the boot disk that comes with the mini and start from scratch? (I'm assuming it comes with a boot disk like PCs) or would I need to ghost the data over to the new HD?

Comment

I believe what you say is correct. Most definitly comes with restore (osx installation disks more like it).

-matt

Comment

Working...
                              X