Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac Mini Dock

http://asteroid.divnull.com/index.php?p=17

Imagine having that planted in your dashboard.
    Dak TruckPuter:

Mac: - Researching and Awaiting Funds

Changed to planning for a Mac Mini Trukputer...w3rd.

Originally posted by Grimey

Before someone asks "where can I get one" (Because we know someone will ask!!)":
    Originally posted by http://asteroid.divnull.com/index.php?p=17
    Let me stress that this product does not actually exist. I have the idea, but neither the time nor talent to see it to fruition. I present it here so that others might.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Mac Mini Dock for Mobile Computing

This one's a little easier to imagine!:

http://homepage.mac.com/lazzwaldo/PhotoAlbum2.html

Yes, the epoxy's ghastly looking; nothing a bit of styrene veneer wouldn't cover up for looks. But boy, it works good.

Comment

Originally posted by LazzWaldo
        This one's a little easier to imagine!:

Yes, the epoxy's ghastly looking; nothing a bit of styrene veneer wouldn't cover up for looks. But boy, it works good.
        I gotta admit, that's pretty friggin' cool.
        Now you need to make another one for home
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Yea that is pretty sweet. I'm thinking about doing something like that to mount it in my glove box so I can still take it out and use it in the house.

Was it hard to fabricate? Also I noticed you had said something about making it easy to take out, have you figured out how to do that yet?
          Dak TruckPuter:

Comment

Further dock mods

Yea that is pretty sweet.

Thanks, man.

>I'm thinking about doing something like that to mount it in my glove box >so I can still take it out and use it in the house.

Exactly!

>Was it hard to fabricate?

No, but then I have a full machine shop, mills, and aluminum stock. It could be done with a hand drill, bandsaw, and a good accurate square. If the side rails aren't square, that could lead to misalignment/bent DVI pins .

>Also I noticed you had said something about making it easy to take out, have you figured out how to do that yet?
            I put a velcro strap on it, which works, but it just looks fugly. So I'm going to complicate it more and make an eject lever, but it has to really use leverage to pop the two apart.

I'll take more pix and vids when I get closer to finished.

Comment

I put a velcro strap on it, which works, but it just looks fugly. So I'm going to complicate it more and make an eject lever, but it has to really use leverage to pop the two apart.

Damn, that's so nifty!

Comment

Wow. If you pretty that thing up a bit, and figure out a way of building it fast/cheap, you could sell alot of them. If you do, remember your friends here at Mp3car.

Comment

Originally posted by ACHIEVER
                  Wow. If you pretty that thing up a bit, and figure out a way of building it fast/cheap, you could sell alot of them. If you do, remember your friends here at Mp3car.
                  Yes indeed, you should remember us . If you really do get that working the way you're talking I would definitely buy one off you if you ever thought about making more to sell. And of course I would have to see some more pics and video .
                  Dak TruckPuter:

Comment

Question...

Great idea, but it does draw a question to mind... Most docks for laptops that I have experience with, perform an electrical eject/undock. Since the on/off button is in the back, and since you are planning on milling this out of aluminium, what are you doing to ensure that before you undock the mini you don't create a surge/arch? I am assuming of course you are like myself and forget to shutdown the system from time to time...

Comment

Lol I hear you on the system shut down thing and that does raise a good point.

I see your from NH? What part? I'm from Southern Maine (in school in Worcester, MA currently thought). I also see you have a truck, do you have a finished Truckputer if so you have any pics?
                      Dak TruckPuter:

Comment

Heh

Ya, I live in Hudson NH, east side of the merrimack river...

I have yet to really get started with the truckputer... Between convincing my wife that it isn't another one of my science projects, and constantly changing my mind on my strategy, I really haven't started. Maybe the wife is right

I went from looking for a older ibook on ebay that had a damaged screen, to maybe a mini-itx running a linux distro (yep that is a linux tat avatar), and back to mini-mac (and if it goes well maybe an apple tat won't be too far off).

Good luck on the eject item, and keep us posted b/c there are many who will follow in your footsteps, if ya figure it out.

Comment

Holy crap man! Have you ever been to Capri Pizza in Hudson?

And yea I hear ya about the whole flopping back and forth, I went from the mini/micro-itx with media center 2k5 and fedora core 3 to the mac mini once I realized how much I want a mac .
                          Dak TruckPuter:

Comment

Originally posted by rdrr
                            Great idea, but it does draw a question to mind... Most docks for laptops that I have experience with, perform an electrical eject/undock. Since the on/off button is in the back, and since you are planning on milling this out of aluminium, what are you doing to ensure that before you undock the mini you don't create a surge/arch? I am assuming of course you are like myself and forget to shutdown the system from time to time...
                            The device, and its' web page, have been updated:

There is a linkage to the on/off button, so there's no excuse not to turn the computer off. As many times as I have yanked out a power cord from a computer, I have never damaged the hardware, so I would not be worried about a surge or an arc. There would be no surge, as there is a sudden lack of power, not a sudden rise in it. The power levels are too low to worry about arcing. The only worry would be, did someone forget to save files and shut down? It's the consumer's responsibility at some point. To make it totally idiot-proof would add far more to the price, and it's probably going to be more expensive than people like anyway.

There is a link to a page with links to .movs of docking/undocking. Enjoy!

Comment

That looks awesome man! Well done on the design of the release mechanism. How much did it cost you to make that one and how much do you think you would sell them for (if you ever did)?
                              Dak TruckPuter:

Comment

Working...
                              X