Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iFrog - One handed bluetooth keyboard

Hey guys,

I'm a long time mac user and am in the process of modding my 2004 Dodge SRT-4.

Next on the list is my mac mini carputer !!!

Anyways, I thought I would give everyone a heads up about this tiny bluetooth one-handed keyboard that is Mac OSX compatible. Would be perfect for use with our mac minis.

Check out www.frogpad.com for more info.

I have never seen one or tied one, if anyone has you're input would be appreciated.

Cheers,

=^..^=

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...highlight=frog
    AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
    Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
    Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
    -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

Sweet car, I got the same kind, 04 E-Blue

Where ya going to mount the screen?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFury
        Sweet car, I got the same kind, 04 E-Blue

Where ya going to mount the screen?
        WORCESTER!?! DUDE! I'M IN WORCESTER! Holy bejesus, I thought I was the only one. I have a dodge too, wish it was a SRT
        Dak TruckPuter:

Mac: - Researching and Awaiting Funds

Changed to planning for a Mac Mini Trukputer...w3rd.

Comment

Really, what part of Worcester? Actually Im in Shrewsbury, right outside of Worcester. I havent got my carPC up and running yet, but I've lurking long enough and now just need to get some more money. I keep spending it all on "go fast" mods for the SRT-4, lol. If your into dodges, and SRT's, or cars in general, we have meets all the time with alot of the local car clubs, or just the local NE SRT's, your more than welcome to come by, any car/truck/bike/ is welcome.

Noone up here really knows the power of CarPC's yet, so maybe you could come out to a meet sometime and show them whats up?

Comment

Haha yea that'd be cool. I'm at school at WPI so I live right around campus. I got to shrewsbury quite a bit for Borders and Vinny T's (so damn good). No offense or anything but I HATE, I mean absolutly HATE route 9 in Shrewsbury, I always come back very angry after driving that road, lol.

I don't have a carputer yet either, still trying to build some funds. I'm on co-op so making some good money but my drum mics and surf shop come first then the carputer . PM me when you guys have your meet and maybe I'll swing by or somethin'.
            Dak TruckPuter:

Comment

Haha, dont worry about it, Im not from MA, I actually just got up here not to long ago for school myself (Berklee). And I absolutly hate Rt 9, I just had to replace two tires becuase of that road!

Some friends and I are usually right across the street from VinnyT's in White City next to the Dunkin Donuts hangin out with the cars sometimes, or @ Moe's eating lol. If your ever around that area stop by, next meet we have I'll deff give ya PM and let ya know..

Drum Mics? Are you into recording drums? I think I still have a 421 laying around I used to use alot for kick's. I used to have a nice set of decent drum mics when I was back in Nashville, I used to be an audio enginner in my free time down there, now I decided to fineally goto school and learn this stuff the right way..

Comment

Damn dude that's awesome. Yea I'll definitely stop by sometime if I get around to it. My schedule is crazy now that I'm trying to start up a surf shaping shop back home and finish my recording studio so I'm not usually around all the time but definitely PM me. Nice to know there are people in the area.

That's awesome that you go to Berklee, I wanted to go there but I figured Mech. Engineering will get me a better job to start then I can go back later and really learn that stuff . I'm just gunna get the standard Shure 6 piece package, my band and I have been working on our CD for like 2 years, lol. Just really need to finish it. I'm hoping now by the end of the summer...but we've been saying that for a while!
                Dak TruckPuter:

Comment

Hey Nick

I'm going to mount the screen in our dash console. Are you a member of SRTforums.com? You should be if you're not !!! lol Anyway, a user there named . . . Cfree does plastic moulding. So he can mold us a new silver piece that encorporates the screen right into it.

Here's a link to the thread on SRTforums:

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/show...ts+Strut+tower

I am going to get him to mold me one with the knobs for the A/C etc. at the bottom of the console so I get the screen higher up. Should be sweet !!

If you are doing a Mac Mini carputer in you're 04 it sure would be great to keep in contact with eachother about install specifics

Cheers

btw - I'm in Saskatoon, SK Canada

Comment

Originally posted by iSRT
                    Hey Nick

I'm going to mount the screen in our dash console. Are you a member of SRTforums.com? You should be if you're not !!! lol Anyway, a user there named . . . Cfree does plastic moulding. So he can mold us a new silver piece that encorporates the screen right into it.

Here's a link to the thread on SRTforums:

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/show...ts+Strut+tower

I am going to get him to mold me one with the knobs for the A/C etc. at the bottom of the console so I get the screen higher up. Should be sweet !!

If you are doing a Mac Mini carputer in you're 04 it sure would be great to keep in contact with eachother about install specifics

Cheers

btw - I'm in Saskatoon, SK Canada
                    Yeah, I'm a member of the SRTForums, I go by the same name on there.

CFree, his name is Chris, he lives up in Maine. Hes a cool cat, I met him a few months ago durring a meet we had.

Anyways, he does good work, I've seen his own screen in his car, as well as another screen he did for someone here in MA. Although, the screen he used on my buddys car was horriable, like some ebay special, but the molding job was top notch. I've talked to Chris about molding a xenarc or something for me, he said it wouldnt be a problem, but the price hes charging, I might just try it myself. In fact though, I dont think I'm going to even mold the screen, and probably just go the DWW foldout screen route (I really dont want to put my hand through the moulded screen at the track, it does sit down very low to your hand when its on the shift knob). Then move my headunit down below, the same buddy who got the screen from Chris, put his headunit down below for about 5 bucks from home depot parts lol.

I'm still debating on wether or not to go mac. I'm waiting for some of this to mature, I really love the mac platform, and IMHO its much better suited to a carPC structure than windows, but the demand I'm afriad isnt there yet to make it the end all be all setup, espcially for GPS nav, which is really waht I want. Plus I need something to run my emanage, I've written some little apps that pull data from emanage like, boost, and A/F and turned it into little guages, which is what I wanted to do, like a virtual guage cluster on the screen (the emanage software may work in VPC, but its critical it doesnt crash, and VPC doenst excatlly give me a good track record with not crashing). If the mac just had a decent GPS software, I would go buy my mini in a heartbeat, and use my PC laptop when I needed to tune. Its a hard choice, I'm just lurking here right now before I decide which route I go.

But, I think it would pimp to have a mac in the SRT, looks like youll be the first to do it

BTW, have you talked to MDunnie on the forums? He was the first to put a CarPC in his. Hes a good person to ask questions too.

Let me know if you need anything, I have already taken the inside of this thing apart many times wiring guages, switches, nos lines/systems, emanages, safc's, headunits, amps, you name it, so if you got a question, PM me here or on the SRTForums.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by iSRT
                      Hey guys,

I'm a long time mac user and am in the process of modding my 2004 Dodge SRT-4.

Next on the list is my mac mini carputer !!!

Anyways, I thought I would give everyone a heads up about this tiny bluetooth one-handed keyboard that is Mac OSX compatible. Would be perfect for use with our mac minis.

Check out www.frogpad.com for more info.

I have never seen one or tied one, if anyone has you're input would be appreciated.

Cheers,

=^..^=
                      Anyone know of a cheaper alternative?
                      Cheap Laptop, great for Carputer!

Comment

Frogpad as keyboard in car

I have purchased a bluetooth Frogpad for use in my Land Rover Discovery Series 1 to which I have fitted a Megasquirt ECU (controlling both fuelling and ignition timing) and carPC (ex mp3car.com) with which to tune the Megasquirt ECU.

The sun visor serves to accomodate the 16:9 Lilliput touchscreen (impractical in the car) and I'm using an oldish Cirque Smart Cat serial touchpad (not very pleased with its performance). I recon I'll be fitting some trackball type pointing device in due course.

I'm using a chinese no-name usb bluetooth dongle. Getting the bluetooth link to work called for some trial and error guesswork but I managed to get it going.

Being really small (although the keys are "adult" size keys - a definite advantage in a car), the frogpad fits nicely next to the manual gear lever (on a pedestal I made) such that my wrist can rest and be steadied on the hand brake while my fingers then falls nicely to the keyboard without interfering with anything around it (including my leg)

The Megasquirt ECU tuning application (Megatune) calls for odd keystrokes (like ctrl-shft-uparrow, alt-L, ctrl-B etc) which I found the frogpad can deal with and with not too much hassle either. Other than that, I just have to type in the odd filename when logging ECU data.

We drive on the LH side of the road (in South Africa) which leaves my LH free and being a RHed person, I thought it would be quite a challenge to master the keyboard but it came easier than expected.

Although the frogpad documentation needs improvement IMHO, I was able to find my way.

Let's face it, mastering a new keyboard will take some practise and you have to put your mind (and fingers and time) to it. I found mastering this keyboard quite easy (but perhaps I am exceptionally gifted ) and although my typing speed is not fast (wrong hand and all), my accuracy is surprisingly high (having forced myself from the word go, not to look at the keyboard while typing, knowing that I would need my eyes on the road, or on the tuning gauges).

It is pricey (in this application) , but then, how much is your life (and that of your passengers) worth to you ?

Comment

jagwit you should check out a program called remote buddy. You can use a wii remote to do just about anything you want. The wii remote has like 11 buttons and you can set it up to do around 22 functions for each program. It is really nice for inputting multiple keystrokes with the press of just one button. It works in osx. I'm using parallels and nissan datascan for datalogging and gauges for my nissan 240sx. It works really well to eliminate a keyboard and the wii remote fits perfectly in your hand. Check it out i love the thing.

Comment

Onepuff, I'm always interested in learning about innovative solutions, however, I'm still stuck in the world of win#$%s. Do you know of an equivalent solution to Remote Buddy for that OS?

Comment

I think Girder comes pretty close to remote buddy. I haven't looked much though since remote buddy works so well. It also works with the iPhone and you can have a picture of your desktop on the iPhone screen. The wii remote unfortunately I have not found much good support for windows. Do you have a mac just running windows or a pc?

Comment

Working...
                              X