Rayming TripNav GPS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rayming TripNav GPS?

I received my TN-200 Rayming tripnav GPS yesterday and spent hours last night trying to get my MacMini to recognize it. Has any one got this GPS receiver to work with a MacMini?

They list it as OS X compatible and I downloaded the drivers from their site and a newer driver from another site.

The problem is the Virtual Com Port is not loading and showing up.

I manually unloaded drivers as they recommended through the terminal and reloaded several times. So much for easy with a Mac

I also tried plugging it in directly to a free usb port on the MacMini and through a powered hub. No Luck!

Any Help? At least Route 66 software loaded ok. Just no GPS success.

Another Question: How do you put icons on the desktop?

Thanks,
    Mike
    MINI MacMini
    05 MINI Cooper Cabrio "Mac MINI"
    progress 95%- Mac Mini, Lilliput 7" , usb-wifi, Rayming GPS, Route 66,easy cat touch pad, CCAR front end"skinned",P1900 power supply

If its USB, just try another computer (including PC to see if hotplug detected).

Comment

I actually have the same unit at home. I have not hooked it up to my mac yet since I've been playing with it on my PC tablet. The drivers for PC worked as intended and automatically did the virtual com port.

I'll try to hook mine up before/during the weekend, but i just got back from a 3-day conference and my office job has a big *** pile that built up while i was away.
      "If it works this good why F with it?" -KMFDM "Intro"

Strive for ethical wardriving: http://faq.wardrive.net/

My CarCPUs: v1 - 2000 | v2 - 2004
      Mp3Car Meets: http://detrimental.org/eyecandy/MP3CarMeets

Comment

Still no luck with my GPS. (after hours of trying). I can get it to work on my Toshiba Notebook with WinXP but not on the Mac Mini. This could be a real concern for everyone.

The virtual Com Port Software is not working with the MM. Has anyone got a GPS to work with a Mac Mini?

Please tell me what Virtual Com Port Software you are using. Am I really the only person trying to use a GPS with a Mac Mini?

Please help.
        Thanks
        Mike
        MINI Mac Mini

ps, I know people use this GPS with other Macs, but I am only interested in if it works with a Mac Mini. Or any GPS with a Mac Mini
        progress 95%- Mac Mini, Lilliput 7" , usb-wifi, Rayming GPS, Route 66,easy cat touch pad, CCAR front end"skinned",P1900 power supply

Comment

Originally posted by FireAnt
          Still no luck with my GPS. (after hours of trying). I can get it to work on my Toshiba Notebook with WinXP but not on the Mac Mini. This could be a real concern for everyone.

The virtual Com Port Software is not working with the MM. Has anyone got a GPS to work with a Mac Mini?

Please tell me what Virtual Com Port Software you are using. Am I really the only person trying to use a GPS with a Mac Mini?

Please help.
          Thanks
          Mike
          MINI Mac Mini

ps, I know people use this GPS with other Macs, but I am only interested in if it works with a Mac Mini. Or any GPS with a Mac Mini
          I will still test mine on a Powerbook to make sure it is not just a Mac issue or a Mac model issue. in addition, have you contacted Rayming tech support with your problem? I know their sales and tech support are pretty good after talking with them several times before making a purchase of mine since it was re-certifed off ebay by them.

Comment

I spoke to someone from there and got a little help. Like try the drivers on the disk that came with it, not the downloadable drivers. They were in an .exe file that couldn't even be opened on my mac. I had to run it on my PC to get it to expand the mac osX drivers and they were the same as the down loadable ones.

The problem is the Virtual Com Port (VCP) is not working correctly with the MacMini. The reciever does work as I have tried it with my notebook PC. The receiver also works with Mac Notebooks as the guy at Rayming said they have thousands of people using them. (apparently no one with a MacMini )

The instructions go into detail about reenumerating the port using an editor on one of the files and making sure ownerships are set correctly using terminal and some commands that I can't get to run.

Thanks,
            Mike

Comment

It Works!!

I got it to work! Finally!

I had to use the following instructions and it fixed it.

. Enforce the proper ownership and permissions on the driver files.

a. Bring up a terminal

Appliction->Utilities->Terminal

b. Change your working directory to the driver directory:

cd /System/Library/Extensions

c. Change the owner for all files and directories of this driver to root:

sudo chown -R root FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext

d. Change the group for all files and directories of this driver to wheel:

sudo chgrp -R wheel FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext

e. Change permissions for all files to 644:

sudo find FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;

f. Change permissions for all directories to 755:

sudo find FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;

Thanks
              Mike

Comment

Looks like it was just some stupid permission problems, which is good to hear it was not a Apple mini-only thing! Thanks for sharing on how you fixed this Mike:-)

Comment

BTW, just right-click (or control-click if you only have one button) on the Route 66 icon and make an alias, and drag the alias to the desktop.

Comment

post pics of the route 66 interface

how do you like route 66, is there an auto-follow when used in conjunction with the gps. otherwise is is difficult to follow your path as you go?

just want to hear an opinion on mac GPS as opposed to PC
                    1993 Rx7 04' Scion xB - Toaster
                    93' RX-7 - Show Boat
                    My Car Domain

Comment

GPS and Route 66 on the Mac

Guess, I was lucky, but I had none of the issues FireAnt had when installing on two computers, a Mac mini and a 17" Powerbook.

The GPS unit and Route 66 work, but like others have said, it is not perfect. It looks to me as if the program was written by Windows programmers.

What do I mean by that? Most Mac programs are intuitive. This took a little digging to it to work, and to use many of the features. That being said, it does work.

Getting the final pieces together before I start on the install of the goodies!
                      ---
                      Work in progress - 95% Complete

MacMini 1.42GHz 1GB RAM - WiFi, Bluetooth
                      NewerTech miniStack 160GB
                      Xenarc 7" 700TSV

GPS - Rayming TN-200 w/ Route 66
                      XM PCR
                      AM/FM Radio Shark
                      CCar Front End
                      Carnetix P1900
                      Griffin AirClick Remote

Comment

I have not got mine in the car yet. But at my computer desk it seems to work. It will take some getting used to on such a small screen 7". I was disappointed that it placed my street address about 1 block west of where it should have. But the GPS icon showed up at exacly the right spot. Even 1/3 of the way between my street and the street behind me. Right about where my desk is.

I'm getting tired of waiting for the Power supply for this Mac Mini so I may get an Invertor this week and wait for the powersupply that has the right plug in May or June.

Mike

Comment

Dunno if its the new version of OS X. I believe my mini came w/ 10.3.7.

I had a VERY similar problem to this with my lilliput. My drivers would not remember my settings (touchpoint calibration). Well I spent a little bit of time and erased all the dirvers/ extensions/ install logs. I then enabled the root user through net manager and logged in as root. Installed all of the drivers again in root, calibrated the screen and now it all works and remembers the settings in all of my users. I hope this isn't a continuing problem in the new version of OS X cause it sure is a pain in the ***. I did not have to do this w/ OS X Jaguar.

Comment

Working...
                          X