No announcement yet.

speech recognition

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speech recognition

Hi everyone. I'm starting a thread for Mac speech recognition because I'm planning on installing a Mac Mini in my car and I want to be able to control *almost* everything by voice.

It's been awhile since I've used a Mac but the Mini, IMO, is the most attractive vessel for a carpc out there. As such, I've been reading up on Mac OS X's Speech. While it's great that you can do alot of stuff with the Applescript + Speech combination, you cannot, to the best of my knowledge obtained from what little I have gelamed from these forums and elsewhere on the web, for instance, in iTunes, say "search 'Greenday', play" and iTunes would search for all songs with "Greenday" in the tags and play them. And spoken commands such as "find corner of Shaw Ave. and Willow" in Route 66 are impossible for Applescript to carry out.

I did come across a program called iListen, by MacSpeech, which claims to be able to, in addition to almost everything Mac OS X's Speech can do, convey spoken words into text in any field of any program. Well if this is true then I can use this in the search field of iTunes. Great!, if it's true. I have have not used Route 66 however I assume there's a similar field in which you type addresses.

Anyway, I just wanted to know about what other people have done in this matter. What solutions have you guys come up with? Is anyone out there a veteran of iListen? How usefuld would iListen be for what I'm proposing? Am I wrong about Applescript and what it's capable of? I hope I'm not the only one with these concerns. Good luck to everyone with their projects!

Given up cause getting recognition in real world driving conditions sucks balls. Developer (I am Chuck)
    Get StreetDeck at
    The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at for official support for Streetdeck.

Originally posted by god_of_cpu
      Given up cause getting recognition in real world driving conditions sucks balls.
      Lol I think I'd have to agree with this. I have enough trouble with my bluetooth headset in my noisy truck, nevermind a computer.
      Dak TruckPuter:

Mac: - Researching and Awaiting Funds

Changed to planning for a Mac Mini Trukputer...w3rd.

Might be possible to do this with an external sound input. Microphone or even a bluetooth ear piece... I'll have to try it as soon as I get my Jeep back.

Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 in preparation to become a MacJeep.

I'm planning on using Griffin's iMic w/ a good mic. Any suggestions on a mic?

While I haven't had much time to research the issues surrounding speech recognition in a driving environment, I have read through the apple documentation and it looks promising that you could do anything you want with it if you are a developer. However you are probably not, so iListen seems like the better solution for you. iListen supports apple script, although I don't see any where on the site that you can fill in the blanks in the apple script. ie "search 'BLANK'.

That is something you might want to ask the company before you spend the money. They also seem to have an iTunes ScriptPak, That might be something to take a look at.

If I would contact the company and ask if their product supports that use before going out and purchasing the software.