Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pc Programs on Mac Emulator Software

Ok guys,

I have an 2004 subaru STI with ecutek engine management and the Delta Dash software that you can add to the system for data logging and virtual gauages as well as soon to be released user tuning is for a PC. I was wondering if I use an emulator like windows if I would be able to use this software on a mac as this seems to be the best solution for my in car pc. Thanks Mike

Honestly it is going to be a 50 / 50 shot where or not its going to work on a mac. There are various products that allow you to run windows software on linux or os x, but the device drivers are typically a problem. I am assuming that there is some type of hardware associated with this tuner.

The only windows on mac emulator i have used is, http://www.apple.com/macosx/applications/virtualpc/ , it seemed to run OK, but not like a pure windows pc.

Out of curiosity do you have a link to this tuning software so i can take a look?
    BenjaminS
    Powered by Imagination
    http://www.ccarproject.net/

Comment

www.ecutek.com

Comment

Well considering the fact that make you use a license key (a little encrypted dongle type thing) to use the software this probably will not work on a mac emulator. *Sigh* Looks like an indispensable tool for a WRX owner.

Just a thought, if still want to get a Mac, and happen to have an old laptop you could just use both in your car and use a KVM to switch between the two.

Just get in contact with this company. If there is enough demand for this product to be ported to Apple then they probably will.
        BenjaminS
        Powered by Imagination
        http://www.ccarproject.net/

Comment

I think Benjamins idea is quite good. For what it is worth I am doing something almost identical. I will be running a small mini-itx board PC to handle my windows based tuning software so that I never have to plug in a laptop to tune or datalog. From that PC I will also have audio and video playback and a small GPS program but essentially that's all.

Later I will add a mini-Mac using a KVM switch (I found a really small one but I can't remember the brand off hand). I'll power up the Mac when I need it (Macs only take about 60 secs to boot) and that will give me wireless internet, 3D gaming, bluetooth printing and complete office functionality, e-mail.

Apart from a little extra wiring I think this is actually a perfect option. By keeping the PC footprint small you can be looking at boot times of well under 30 secs (with embedded maybe under 10 !!!) and you keep all the other stuff for when you are stopped. You aren't going to write e-mail or play games on the move are you? (and if your passengers are you can link the mac to a rear screen - even better !!!)

A one minute additional boot time in these situations isn't going to be a big deal in my opinion, but a long boot for your audio playback EVERY time you get in the car is.

Paul.

Comment

If you find a way around the dongle, I think it would be fast enough to work. I am about to do the same thing with my mustang using programming software called Tweecer. I used Virtual PC on my desktop Mac (G4 DP 867mhz) and it ran fine. So I imagine a MacMini can handle it. I don't know how intense your software is compared to the Mustang's software, but try it on a desktop and see.
            Jimmy
            Go Gators!
            94 Cobra w/Cobra R drivetrain and Vortech

Comment

Update on OSX

Originally posted by heartpumper View Post
              Ok guys,

I have an 2004 subaru STI with ecutek engine management and the Delta Dash software that you can add to the system for data logging and virtual gauages as well as soon to be released user tuning is for a PC. I was wondering if I use an emulator like windows if I would be able to use this software on a mac as this seems to be the best solution for my in car pc. Thanks Mike
              Did you ever get Deltadash to work on OSX? I have been planning on building a microitx carpc but using the mac mini would be easier and cheaper. The Infill G4 looks good but is very expensive.

Comment

its alive...!!!!!
                Cant code cause I dont know how, but give me the paint bucket and my eraser and have at you!

Comment

Working...
                X