No announcement yet.

Xenarc 700TSV @ 800x480 on a Mac mini?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xenarc 700TSV @ 800x480 on a Mac mini?

Has anyone been able to get a Xenarc 700TSV to display the native 800x480 on a Mac mini? I've been trying to get it to work using DisplayConfigX...

I configured DisplayConfigX to use 800x480 @ 60Hz, and now the resolution is listed in the Displays preferences. The problem is that for some reason when I select the 800x480 resolution, the screen sets itself to 640x480 and the image is scaled. Another strange thing, now when I select 800x600 @60Hz refresh, the screen sets itself to 800x480 with the bottom half chopped off - it actually looks real nice and the image is not being scaled, just chopped off. Any suggestions?

I've also played with SwitchRes and cscreen with no luck.
    MacVroom® - Mac your ride™
    http://www.macvroom.com

I've been doing exactly the same thing.

The screen isn't setting itself to 640x480, it's just reporting that it's displaying that. It lies. The jagginess you're seeing is due to the timings being wrong. So... we set the timings exactly as stated on the Xenarc FAQ page... but DisplayConfigX (DCX) won't let me do that - it changes some of the figures to something I don't want.

I emailed the author, and it's a bug in Mac OS X 10.3.x, and DCX prevents you entering values that'll screw up the OS. He said it'd be fixed in OS 10.4. Now, I have a developer subscription with Apple and receive developer builds through the mail, so I asked him to let me try it.

The latest version of 10.4 with the latest version of DCX now let me enter the values... and I get a blank screen. The screen switches itself off completely. Could be a bug in the prerelease version os OS X, or something else.

To this day, I haven't got 800x480 working properly on the Mac mini. But you're right, 800x600 looks nice!
    AstraMac

Power a Mac mini from 12v: Here
    Front end status: Here

Comment

Is this only a problem with the TSV screens?

I was just about to purchase my MiniMac and a DWW-700M. I know I need 800x480, and am hoping these two play nice together.

Comment

I can't think of a reason why Xenarc would use a different screen to the 700T/S/V series. You'll likely have the same issues as us. Wait for Tiger, apparently that'll give better results in conjunction with DisplayConfigX.
        AstraMac

Power a Mac mini from 12v: Here
        Front end status: Here

Comment

We finally got the 800 x 480 resolution working with the help of DisplayConfigX! You can read all about it here...
          http://www.macvroom.com/node/36/

Comment

This is great news! Fantastic Find! Can you post the applescript when it is ready? Now I can feel confident in getting a mac mini...although I might wait for 10.4 to come standard on them thanks again!

Comment

We've finished the AppleScript to easily change the Mac mini's resolution to 800 x 480 upon startup. The download and instructions can be found here...
              http://www.macvroom.com/node/39/

Comment

youd only need to do it once if you let the mac sleep and not turn off. and if you have a 2nd tank battery, like im planning on, you wont ever restart or turn off the mac, rarely. But having a first run applescript is a great idea, good job dooooooooooood.
                (All done)
                iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

Comment

Is this still the best option or are their new considerations? Been out for a while, but have all the parts to start putting this thing together now.... finally. New carnetix macpac on the way before this weekend. Get ready for the questions!!!! LOL (After extensive searching ofcourse!!)

Comment

What exactly does that macpac do?
                    -

Comment

The MacPac is the new power cable to be used between the CarNetix CNX-P1900 power regulator and the MacMini. The cable lets you plug in the MacMini and not tear up the power brick, hence, I can leave the power supply in the car and bring in the Mini when I want to play inside!! Hope that helps.

Comment

Does it do anything about automatically shutting down the mac?
                        -

Comment

The P1900 does not the cable. Visit www.carnetix.com and check out the CNX-P1900 Power Supply for all the details. I have not installed this PS yet, but from what I read, these guys have covered the bases pretty well.

Comment

Hi is liliput touch screen also have 800 x 480 resolution option?

Comment

Originally posted by 4thChild View Post
                              The P1900 does not the cable. Visit www.carnetix.com and check out the CNX-P1900 Power Supply for all the details. I have not installed this PS yet, but from what I read, these guys have covered the bases pretty well.
                              You shouldn't talk unless you own one. The P1900 and 2140 don't do anything about shutdown on a mac mini. View the carnetix forum and see the popular thread 'shutdown on mac mini'. You'll find there is no solution. The best that can be done is standby.

I have been hoping they would fix this for a while now but they have not yet. They claim they are not mac developers and their usb driver is not supported on mac. However, one guy was able to make a mac version of their program (severely crippled) that does talk to the P2140, so it proves that they are wrong and it can be done. However, that doesn't help you with shutdown.

To answer the origiginal question, I use the macpac to send signals from teh 2140 to the mac mini. However the signal can only do exactly what pushing the power button does. Go into and out of standby. Note to other mac users: Mac mini does NOT shut down when you push power, standby only. I hope they fix this in leopard.

Comment

Working...
                              X