Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more power button cable hacking!

Guys,

We now have a power button cable solution that will prevent having to hack your existing power button cable. Take a look at THIS.

Unfortunately, the DC Power Connector is still pretty far away. Now looks like August before we can get our hands on them.... sorry.
    MikeH

Great job man glad you finally found the part

Did you ever find the Power cable connector for the mac?

I tried everywere without luck even down here in australia with no luck
    CarPC Status:
    GPS: 99%
    Hardware: 99%
    Software: 92%
    Case Install: 99.9%
    Dash Install: 100%
    Car Install: 72%

Comment

Enforcer
      How about having the wire go to a backplane with a socket on it. Like say a PS2 or similar. Infact you could do it for the reset as well.
      I'm not quite sure what you mean. This cable will get spliced into a cable that comes from the P1900 and can be unplugged if you need to remove the Mac. Are you suggesting some sort of docking station? LazzWaldo has developed one of these (see previous posts).

NiN
      Did you ever find the Power cable connector for the mac?
      I have found a source, but I won't be able to get any until August..
      MikeH

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
        Enforcer

I'm not quite sure what you mean. This cable will get spliced into a cable that comes from the P1900 and can be unplugged if you need to remove the Mac. Are you suggesting some sort of docking station? LazzWaldo has developed one of these (see previous posts).

Sorry, seemed I have stumbled into the MAC forum. I thought this was for a PC. Disregard what I said.

Comment

So the P1900 isn't available until August now? That really sucks.. I don't know what I'm going to do now.

Comment

So the P1900 isn't available until August now?
            No, the P1900 will be available late this month (April). The POWER CONNECTOR that fits the back of the Mac mini won't be available until August. So, between now and August you'll have to hack your existing AC/DC adapter power cable as show HERE.

Sorry for the confusion.
            MikeH

Comment

Right.. Cool! Thx for the clarification.

Comment

MikeH, that rocks. Question: how does one actually turn on / off the Mac mini with this cable? Does this connect to a standard switch? (Please note that I have no idea what a "standard" switch is.)
                WRX + Mac mini Progress:
                [|---------] 1% (Planning & Fund-raising)
                Visit the project headquarters.

Comment

MD,
                  how does one actually turn on / off the Mac mini with this cable? Does this connect to a standard switch?
                  This cable merely allows you to connect your existing, rear-panel-mounted power switch in PARALLEL with the P1900's "power switch". The P1900 EMULATES the Mac power switch so that the mini does not know the difference between the two. This means the mini will "sleep" if EITHER the existing power switch says "sleep" OR the P1900 says "sleep".

By "standard" I mean that it is NOT manufactured by Apple (ie you can buy it anywhere, including Radio Shack). The switch could be any off-the-shelf momentary, single-pole pushbutton switch. This simplifies your parts search.

Clear?
                  MikeH

Comment

If only the mac mini's power button would tell it to power down properly...
                    Carputer status: [-*---------]
                    Im thinking laptop...

Comment

Originally posted by shizzle
                      If only the mac mini's power button would tell it to power down properly...
                      What do you actually mean by that? Usually, hitting the power button on a Mac asks you if you want to Restart, Sleep, Cancel or Shut Down. You can change this default behavior to simply go to sleep. The checkbox is in System Preferences > Energy Saver > Options > Allow power button to sleep the computer. At least this is how it functions on my iMac G5.
                      WRX + Mac mini Progress:
                      [|---------] 1% (Planning & Fund-raising)
                      Visit the project headquarters.

Comment

I think what shizzle is referring to is the definition of "hitting" the power button. If the Mac is set to sleep, you "hit" the power button for a very short period of time (ie < 1 sec). If the Mac is NOT set to sleep, you must "hit" the power button for 6 seconds to shut it down.
                        MikeH

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
                          I think what shizzle is referring to is the definition of "hitting" the power button. If the Mac is set to sleep, you "hit" the power button for a very short period of time (ie < 1 sec). If the Mac is NOT set to sleep, you must "hit" the power button for 6 seconds to shut it down.
                          Exactly. If only it could do a proper shutdown from the power switch, then the p1900 would be perfect.

MikeH,
                          When is the Y-cable available?
                          I am eventually going to bite the bullet and get the P1900 (and y-cable) and just sleep the mini when I can and power it down when needed. I have one of those battery chargers in my trunk, so Ill hafta keep it charged.
                          At least this will power it up, right? And it can be wired to remote start, and wait to shutdown? I'm thinking I dont need sleep, and neither does my mini!
                          Carputer status: [-*---------]
                          Im thinking laptop...

Comment

When is the Y-cable available?
                            MP3Car store should have them by the end of this week.
                            At least this will power it up, right?
                            Yes. I have run my Mac mini for a week using sleep, and running the car each day with no noticable effects on my battery.
                            And it can be wired to remote start, and wait to shutdown?
                            If you are talking about Pulse Start, yes. You can wire this to a remote starter or car alarm.
                            MikeH

Comment

Working...
                            X