Mac mini boot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac mini boot

How fast does the mac mini boot? Or are you guys sleeping it?

about 30-50 seconds after a proper shutdown.
    EDIT: (educated guess, Ill hafta time it later to be exact, Im at work now.)
    Carputer status: [-*---------]
    Im thinking laptop...

Comment

hehe ok cool thanx

Comment

Well then I must be doing something wrong. Mine consistently takes 1min 50sec from a cold boot after a full shutdown from the Apple menu.
        MikeH

Comment

Yeah way wrong.. it takes me 45 secs.

Comment

Any suggestions for ways to speed this up? I'm running a stock Mac mini with 256M memory, 40G HDD.
            MikeH

Comment

I'm running the same CPU. Are you running it off of your p1900? I have done nothing to the cpu as far as startup is concerned. Do you have bluetooth? I was having a bluetooth configuration problem when I got it. Solved it by disabling bluetooth for now.

Comment

No. Running it off of the AC adapter that came with it. How about network connections? Are you connected to a LAN? It doesn't appear to make a difference whether I connect to my LAN or not. Same boot time.
                MikeH

Comment

Yeah I am running it off of LAN. I have noticed that when the network is down, MACs do tend to boot slower. Like it wants to find an internet connection but can't so its dwelling on finding it. I dunno if you can disable your network in sys preferences and try booting again. Prob not the problem.

Comment

it's looking for a dhcp connection before give it a standard non static ip address. give it a static ip and the fink will boot faster

Comment

Gave it a static IP address....boot time increased to 2:25.
                      MikeH

Comment

I'll time mine tonite, but I'm quite sure it's less than a minute.. I did however reinstall OS X to my liking, but I've got the loaded version.. 1.42GHz/512MB/80GB/Bluetooth/Airport Extreme..

MikeH: I'd suggest swapping out your RAM to a 512MB stick, and if you don't have a clean install, that can't hurt..

Anyone know if there's a difference in data density between a 40gb drive and an 80gb drive? Or does the 40gb drive just have half as many platters?
                        In either case, these have got to be the slowest, cheapest laptop drives used in new hardware today..

Does anyone else have that clicking sound? It sounds like the arms banging against the stops.. The first mini I had did it every few minutes, this one does it once or twice in a few hours. I think they were part of an abused shipment or something..

Comment

So I just booted mine without the ethernet plugged in, and with a dvd in the drive spinning too, it booted in 50 seconds. I feel good about that.
                          Im thinking laptop...

Comment

Heres a ? for ya.... why does my mini copy faster from a dvd than a cd? I mean about twice as fast to... It seems awful slow copying data from a cd. It wasnt scratched or anything that I could tell. Any ideas?

Edit: it does speed up as it goes, which is normal, but doesnt even peak as fast as the constant dvd copy rate of almost 2mb/sec.
                            Im thinking laptop...

Comment

With no disk in the drive and ethernet connected it took 50 seconds exactly, once again, after proper shutdown. I also have the 1.25 with 512 ram, airport and bluetooth. I have not reinstalled OSX... I think I'll wait till I upgrade.
                              Im thinking laptop...

Comment

Working...
                              X