Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac install in Mini Cooper...ibook?

Hello all,

I am considering a mac install into a mini cooper. I have an ibook that I am thinking of replacing that might work well...it's a G4 800mhz, so plenty fast for what i need. I plan to use it for mostly iTunes and possibly DVDs and Sat Radio. I have navi in the car so no worries there. Also the thing will sleep for 2 weeks on a full charge, so that would alleviate some concerns about the Mac Mini current draw during sleep.

So my questions are:

What is the best way to power the ibook during operation, and send it into sleep when the car is turned off? Is the P1900 capable of this?

What is the absolute brightest and highest res touchscreen display i can get in the 7-8" range? I have concerns about the screen readability in sunlight. Also would need a way to power that...

I have an 8" Xenarc in my car. It's up on the dash, lots of windows. It works pretty well most of the time. It won't hold up to maximum sunlight but it's pretty good the majority of the time.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I too have an 8" Xenarc in my VW Beetle (installed this past weekend).

I am in agreement with BugByte that it works well under most circumstances. I am pleased with its performance so far.
      ---
      Work in progress - 95% Complete

MacMini 1.42GHz 1GB RAM - WiFi, Bluetooth
      NewerTech miniStack 160GB
      Xenarc 7" 700TSV

GPS - Rayming TN-200 w/ Route 66
      XM PCR
      AM/FM Radio Shark
      CCar Front End
      Carnetix P1900
      Griffin AirClick Remote

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer
        I have an ibook that I am thinking of replacing that might work well...it's a G4 800mhz, so plenty fast for what i need.
        Be careful of overheating. iBooks are not made to be run with the lid closed. There is a hack to get them to work in this mode, but even on a desk in an air-conditioned office they tend to overheat. If at all possible, install it somewhere that it can run open.

G4 800 should be more than plenty. I DJ/KJ/VJ with a G4 867 Powerbook with Arkaos visuals and Quicktime movie music videos just fine.

Keep us updated on your progress! Once we get a decent navigation software package, the Mac is going to clean up in the Carputer market!
        Car: 1997 VW Passat TDI moving to
        1985 Mercedes-Benz 300D
        CPU: HP ePC 1gig/256meg/250 gig
        Xenarc & GPS & RadioShark
        ToGo: DC-to-DC conversion, Grease conversion

Comment

Working...
        X