Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using steering wheel controls to control mini mac?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using steering wheel controls to control mini mac?

Is there a way to have your factory steering wheel controls ie Volume and Track to control mp3's or cd on mini mac?

funny. the top thread is my exact thought for coming to the forums tonight. i have a miniITX winblows pc ready for my car, but would definitely prefer a mini mac...if route 66 gets better
    as far as steering wheel control, i was going to use ibus (i have a 2000 bmw), via serial interface in the trunk. i would have to buy a usb serial adapter, but those are real cheap online. the only thing i would need is to go is write some serial interface code, but since the one i have for windows is open source, it shouldnt be too bad. does your car have any sort of serial connectivity options? (look on the windows threads)...
    -avidan
    Mac Mini BMW -- Done! (but always in progress) -- TOTALLED -- Damn lady didn't "see" the redlight

Comment

You can always cut open the factory controls and connect into a USB inbterface card, keyboard controller, USB gamepad etc if you don't have a system like ibus.
      Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
      Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

I have been looking for the same. I found out that for several brands, there are converters on the market, which convert the signals from the steeringwheel to infrared.

example

Together with an ir receiver and software for the Mac, like this:

IRTrans + iRed

I think this should work

edit: these also work with other car brands.

Comment

Originally posted by avidan
          funny. the top thread is my exact thought for coming to the forums tonight. i have a miniITX winblows pc ready for my car, but would definitely prefer a mini mac...if route 66 gets better
          as far as steering wheel control, i was going to use ibus (i have a 2000 bmw), via serial interface in the trunk. i would have to buy a usb serial adapter, but those are real cheap online. the only thing i would need is to go is write some serial interface code, but since the one i have for windows is open source, it shouldnt be too bad. does your car have any sort of serial connectivity options? (look on the windows threads)...
          -avidan
          If you do get around to porting it are you going to release the code to the public

OT: are smilies an acceptable form of punctuation
          BenjaminS