No announcement yet.

Input Needed

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Input Needed

As you may or may not know I am developing an interface for os x. Recently I have ran into a slight issue.

What resolution do you use on your touch screens, 800x600 or 800x480?

No "search the forums" stuff, just let me know.
    Powered by Imagination

i prefer 800 x 600
    Go on and do it, do it, Do it 'til you're satisfied,
    Whatever it is, do it, Do it 'til you're satisfied.

CarPc progress |OOOOXCOOOO| 57%

My Mac Jeep

7" Lilliput
          1.42 Mac mini (512MB,80GB,Combo,Bluetooth,Airport)
          Carnetix P1900 with CNX-P5V
          GPS (BU-303)
          Polk MMC 650
          Infinity Kappa 62.7i
          Alpine MRP-F240

More is not always better.

Our 7" display options are native at 800x480. Although some 8" and larger displays are native at 800x600, it's always better to go with a native resolution, especially if we're talking about Mac's. The Mac display is very sencitive to the aspect ratio. Our apps are all written to take advantage of knowing the aspect ratio. I'm sure most of us want to see some music videos or movies on our screen, and if the resolution isn't set to what the display supports, we'll have visual distortion *cringe*

I'd much rather have an 800x600 capable screen!
            Car: 1997 VW Passat TDI moving to
            1985 Mercedes-Benz 300D
            CPU: HP ePC 1gig/256meg/250 gig
            Xenarc & GPS & RadioShark
            ToGo: DC-to-DC conversion, Grease conversion

Carputer status: [-*---------]
                Im thinking laptop...

800x600 resolution seems more natural for computer environment. Most of my films seem to be in the 4:3 display ratios, adult educational films of course :P. The Xenarc monitor, the one I plan on getting(after I get my tax refund back, that could probably take months, ha) has a 16x9 ratio, which translates to a 800x480 natural screen, and I think that is the aspect ratio of a wide screen dvd, no?

The census seems to be divided equally. I thought about this on the way home, this probably isnít going to be much of an issue, I am just going to have to make two standard nib files, one 800x600, and one 800x480 and then load the appropriate one at start up, gui problem solved.

Now the real question is that if you have a movie in a 4:3 (lets say the movieís size is 400x300 pixels) aspect ratio, and I capture the display for that resolution(800x600 blown up), will it be distorted on 800x480 screen or will it look ok?

Anyone have any photos of what both resolutions look like on theses screens with a mac, playing videos, the finder, browser etc?

I really want to address this issue way ahead of time so that I have a road map to follow when I get to the video part, or at least some guidelines.