X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gates comment about apple...

Surfin about my ol Powerbook 145b and came across this:

Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates says that "Apple shouldn't get too comfortable atop the portable music playing world," according to The Associated Press. In an interview published Thursday, Gates said "I don't think the success of the iPod can continue in the long term, however good Apple may be....I think you can draw parallels here with the computer here, too, Apple was once extremely strong with its Macintosh and graphic user interface, like with the iPod today, and then lost its position." The interview was published in the German daily Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung.

Wow, so he admits that apple had a GUI that M$ jacked?
    (All done)
    iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

Originally posted by sdashiki
    Wow, so he admits that apple had a GUI that M$ jacked?
    Ah, yet another person needs a quick intro to the history of GUI Here we go:

...on the other hand, why bother, go (unless you treasure your "uneducated Apple zealot" badge too much )
    Asus K8S-MX ~ Athlon 64 2800+ ~ Kingmax MPXD42D-2K 1Gb ~ Seagate ST960822A 60Gb ~ PSK-3100 PS/2 kbd ~ MR-350 GPS ~ Hawking HSB1AP ~ Buffalo WLI-USB-G54 ~ 8" Dynamix TS LCD ~ DSATX ~ XCard ~ TVedia ~ some LCD TV ~ Vista ~ MapPoint 2006 ~ iGuidance 2.*

Comment

Actually M$ and Apple jacked the GUI from another company. Steve Job was invited to see the research of a computer that XEROX created which Jobs eventually stole the idea...
      Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
      Via EPIA MII
      512MB RAM
      OEM GPS (embedded)
      nLite WinXP pro on
      1GB Extreme III CF card
      Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
      Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

dammit mang havent you seen the movie! lol
        mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
        Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
        Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

To clarify, XEROX was never planning on bringing the GUI to market, and Apple saw the GUI and decided to market it. That is slightly different than Microsoft seeing Apple marketing the GUI and then deciding it should copy.
          WRX + Mac mini Progress:
          [|---------] 1% (Planning & Fund-raising)
          Visit the project headquarters.

Comment

This is all for fun:

No matter how you slice it apple or M$ never came up with the idea for a GUI but really who cares ?? I guess to some mac users thats thier clame to fame.

I don't get it, I'm from the windows world and my peers always curse at mac users and mac users curse at us whats the big deal we're both geeks !!!
            Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
            Via EPIA MII
            512MB RAM
            OEM GPS (embedded)
            nLite WinXP pro on
            1GB Extreme III CF card
            Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
            Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

abit confused here didnt MS bail mac out years ago ?. i.e bill owns a big chunk of mac anyhow so does he realy care
              Program aborting close all that you have worked on,You ask to much. You step into the stream,but the water has moved on, This page is not here. Chaos reigns within, Reflect,repent,and reboot.Order shall return
              The car

Comment

http://money.cnn.com/2005/05/12/tech...ex.htm?cnn=yes

I like his comments on only being able to "throw products on the market and then learn from your mistakes." Sounds very Microsoftian. Bill should get himself a market research department.

Comment

LOL um no.

I know Xerox wrote the first GUI, but like its been said, they werent marketing it and had no plans to.

M$ took OS6 and made windows 3.1 to replace DOS. When both M$ and Apple wanted the same market, yes M$ "borrowed" apples already proven idea. Today again OSX and WinXP are strikingly similar, though mostly only in the look of the OS, which to me is bull**** posturing on M$'s part when it cant make a decent OS without any holes in it....

lets go on another rant:

Windoze crashes, sucks, has viruses etc and all that only because of the nature of the beast. And not only because Gates doesnt care about you. The beast im talking of is the PC market where you can buy 10 bazillion configs of mobo, ram, drives, video, pci etc and Windoze needs to run them all. When you have no friggin idea what people are making their machines from you make an all around OS and not a specific OS that is tailored to the needs of the user.

With apple its all kept in house and the OS runs only on certain machines that Apple knows the exact specs of. AThis makes the OS much more stable and better at performing what macs are designed for, multimedia. Windoze is too all encompassing to even pass as something that can "compete" (cant think of a better word) with OSX.
                  (All done)

Comment

yes, because of the fact that people write viruses windows sucks.......

With apple its all kept in house and the OS runs only on certain machines that Apple knows the exact specs of. AThis makes the OS much more stable and better at performing what macs are designed for, multimedia. Windoze is too all encompassing to even pass as something that can "compete" (cant think of a better word) with OSX.
                    this is an advantage?.........you are a consumer whore. i love paying top dollar for something that pretty much just stole the FREE BSD OS
                    PC Components:
                    Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
                    My work log

Comment

LOL. Um because i dont want to sit at the terminal and type ffsck all day, I pay for it. You take that FREE BSD and make a carputer front end, go for it, god yer just jumpin all over the place son...

I am a consumer whore because I spend all my money on computing things, so what.

IT IS an advantage for all the reasons I quoted, think about it and shadap.

People write viruses for fun or sport. With all the market share you must expect virsues to be written for Winbloze. Also these 3l33t hax0rs in their parents basements listening to Nine Inch Nails and watching LOTR realize that if they wrote the virus for the mac, they would be ruining all the peeople who make their entertainment....
                      (All done)

Comment

Originally posted by sdashiki
                        People write viruses for fun or sport. With all the market share you must expect virsues to be written for Winbloze. Also these 3l33t hax0rs in their parents basements listening to Nine Inch Nails and watching LOTR realize that if they wrote the virus for the mac, they would be ruining all the peeople who make their entertainment....
                        Guess what, that bucket won't hold water for a lot longer
                        Asus K8S-MX ~ Athlon 64 2800+ ~ Kingmax MPXD42D-2K 1Gb ~ Seagate ST960822A 60Gb ~ PSK-3100 PS/2 kbd ~ MR-350 GPS ~ Hawking HSB1AP ~ Buffalo WLI-USB-G54 ~ 8" Dynamix TS LCD ~ DSATX ~ XCard ~ TVedia ~ some LCD TV ~ Vista ~ MapPoint 2006 ~ iGuidance 2.*

Comment

who ever said I'm playing with FREE BSD? you do understand that OSX is based on BSD right?

its an advantage because a monopoly controls your system specs and leaves little to no room for hardware improvements?

I honestly dont understand what the hell you are trying to say.....
                          PC Components:
                          Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
                          My work log

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples
                            I honestly dont understand what the hell you are trying to say.....
                            He is trying to say that the reason there are not many viruses for MacOS is not that it's secure or bug-free (although with FreeBSD backbone it's better be), and not that the market is marginally small (although it is), but rather that virus writers are afraid of screwing up the Holy Wood junkmill (the hell they are). Move along, nothing but zealotry to see here

Comment

MDLarson, not meaning to threadjack but already threadjacking... I just spent the last 2 minutes at your website reading about your fight with ol33l... you definitely are a noob that didnt get with the pace really... You should really read more about the attitudes of people, their humor, the way they take things etc on this forum before picking a fight like that.... just honest advice...

and about going out of your way becuase you are put on someone's ignore list and making a freaking website about it??? how old are you??? younger than ol33l??? thanks for the laugh though! hahaha

</threadjacking> sorry I couldnt resist after loosing my time reading that
                              Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
                              Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

Comment

Working...
                              X