Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any interest in a 3rd output on the P1900?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any interest in a 3rd output on the P1900?

Any interest in a 3rd output for the P1900 that would give you a +5V/3+amp output in addition to the existing +19V/+12V outputs? This would be a "plug-on" (ie. no internal soldering required) regulator that could run your +5V USB hub while the other existing outputs run your screen (+12V) and Mac mini (+18.5V). It would turn ON and OFF with your ignition (ie. won't drain your battery).

By the way, this regulator can be used in applications other than the P1900. It is basically a "point of load" regulator that takes an input of +12V (actually +7v to +16V input) and puts out +5V at 3+amps. I am going to "rate" the output at 3 amps, but I've tested it up to 4+ amps and it works fine at room temperature. The regulator will gracefully shut itself down if you abuse it.

I don't have pricing yet, so I'm just trying to see if there's a need for this device. Let me know your thoughts.
    Attached Files
    MikeH

I have the 1280 so I don't need one of these ... but if I had a 1900 I would definately want one. Having that 5v rail is so handy.

The 1280 rocks by the way ... SO much better than my previous setup ... not so much as a hiccup yet.

Will you be making it to the ATL meet next saturday?
    My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

ATL meet?... I wanna go.

Comment

A third output would be great!

Comment

I'd buy one. This would be really nice to not have to choose between a screen or a hub.
          My Mac Jeep

Comment

If I didn't already have my power 5V distribution worked out, I'd be all over these. In fact, I still may want a couple of them depending on price. Do you need a tester?

ATX supplies, with their multiple low voltage high current power rails, were designed for use in a system where all the powered components are physically close. In an automotive environment, it's common for things to be 10-15ft from the PSU which requires the use of bigger wires to offset voltage drop for high current devices. POL solves this problem.

What's the input voltage range on the turn-on lead? What is the standby current draw of these boards?
            2004 4runner

Comment

I would buy one!
              7" Lilliput
              1.42 Mac mini (512MB,80GB,Combo,Bluetooth,Airport)
              Carnetix P1900 with CNX-P5V
              Radioshark
              GPS (BU-303)
              Polk MMC 650
              Infinity Kappa 62.7i
              Alpine MRP-F240

Comment

If I have the P1900, I would like to have it.

Comment

I would probably need one for usb power since I wanna run the screen off the 12v on my 1900.
                  Iwill ZPCgx 2.4ghz cel, 256mb pc2700, external combo drive, 80gb 2.5 laptop drive, xp pro, usb gps, 7 in Lilliput TS , carnetix CNX1900. All mounted ghetto- still experimenting and tweaking.

Comment

Yes please

I'm in the market to buy one and would love the extra output because I'm concerned about the number of usb devices and being able to power them. Thanks for the good work...keep it up.
                    JDKARR01
                    Mac Mini(80 Gb/512Mb mem/Airport/Bluetooth)
                    GPS(Route 66-hopefully something better soon)
                    DWW-700M
                    Progress[still buying stuff]

Comment

I think you should upgrade any future p1900 produced to have this feature(if they are even still in production at all), and charge accordingly. Of course people would buy it over the previous model. I would.
                      I have yet to buy my p1900, so hurry so I can get the upgraded one!
                      Carputer status: [-*---------]
                      Im thinking laptop...

Comment

Ohhh.. I am actually waiting for your 1290 so I can power my laptop (PC or Powerbook) and then a USB hub that will have shared Mac/PC compatiable devices. I've been searching for a 12v powered USB hub, but no avail.
                        "If it works this good why F with it?" -KMFDM "Intro"

Strive for ethical wardriving: http://faq.wardrive.net/

My CarCPUs: v1 - 2000 | v2 - 2004
                        Mp3Car Meets: http://detrimental.org/eyecandy/MP3CarMeets

Comment

Hmm...not quite following you. So your laptop needs +12V, why would you need a +12V USB hub? Most of them are +5V hubs, which the P1290 can provide.
                          MikeH

Comment

I was planning on using just a straight DC to DC laptop adapter and then hooking a USB hub to an accessory line. Problem is that the accessory line is an unregulated 12v, and there are no USB hubs made for 12V...all I have seen is 5v:-)
                            "If it works this good why F with it?" -KMFDM "Intro"

Strive for ethical wardriving: http://faq.wardrive.net/

My CarCPUs: v1 - 2000 | v2 - 2004
                            Mp3Car Meets: http://detrimental.org/eyecandy/MP3CarMeets

Comment

that's because usb devices are 5v ... so in order for a hub to be 12v it'd have to step down the power to 5v for the devices. just an extra step the hub doesn't need to take that would make it more expensive.
                              My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

Working...
                              X