Phone Ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phone Ideas

Okay, so I was browsing around for solutions for OS X to connect to a bluetooth cellphone, when I thought: "hey, I have a GSM phone. Why not just get a cellphone radio, and drop my SIM in there?" I already iSync my hiptop to my computer, so all of my contacts are in there. I googled around and found this module, and looks really really cool GSM Module. It looks simple enough to interface with (assuming you know how to interface w/ the serial port, and you knew how to program), since its just simple serial commands (to place a call: send the command ATD 3035551234 and it'll dial it). Of course, you'll have to program in things like entering in a SIM password, and signal strength meter, but otherwise it should be relatively simple. Plus since Tiger can use a bluetooth headset for audio input, you should be fine. An added bonus is that you can use a higher-gain antenna to get better reception, and the site also sells integrated GSM/GPS antennas, so you only have to mount one plastic lump on your car/roof.

Sorry, no version for CDMA people, like Verizon or Sprint. Nextel has OEM modules, but they're probably insanely difficult to program. Random rambling: WHY DID VERIZON USE A NETWORK STANDARD DIFFERENT FROM THE REST OF THE WORLD?????? (yes, I know Japan uses its own crazy standard, but they've also got toilets that are robotic and other fancy stuff.)

Oh, forgot to add that it has a camera, and you can send it a command to connect to a gprs, take a picture, and fire off an email.

Comment

http://www.reelintelligence.com/BluePhoneElite/

Comment

I know, but it hasn't been updated since february. Plus I don't know if Tiger can send audio to a handset for a call.

Comment

Originally posted by thecapitalizt
          I know, but it hasn't been updated since february. Plus I don't know if Tiger can send audio to a handset for a call.
          I has updated.

It is now version 1.0 but you have to pay for it now. That is not a problem, but not yet for me. First they have to support al the Tiger features, like sending audio. Then it is interesting to use this program as a handsfree kit

Comment

Originally posted by thecapitalizt
            Apart from being updated, I've been tryiing to purchasee the app for about a week and he has problems with the checkout, I emailed him and no luck, all he said was to wait.. I'm second thinking this app for the future!! Or hope someone makes something better....

::JP
            1995 3000GT RED : MIAMI'S HOTTEST 3000GT
            V6King.com - 1st MAC MINI on a 3S

Comment

Working...
            X