Flame the n00b - GPS Receivers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flame the n00b - GPS Receivers

Okay, I've purchased a Mac Mini and it will be here this week. Up until now, I've been using a Via Epia-M10000 and I'm pretty comfortable with all the things you have to do with it.

The Mac, OTOH, at least for the car, I'm not. I can figure out the install and the software no problem. I'll figure out the GPS software by using VPC or Route 66. But the GPS RECEIVER, I've got no knowledge of.

Right now I've got a Royaltek Sapphire that I really like. USB cable with a USB to serial driver that routes the NMEA over to a Com port. No Mac drivers, as far as I can tell.

What receivers are folks using for their Mini? Is there a solution that would let me use my Royaltek or will I have to buy a new receiver.

Feel free to flame me. God know I've done it to other n00bs.

Sign me - excited to do the OSX shuffle in my V-dub.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

just get any usb gps receiver ... you should be able to just "plug it in and .... it works!"

right???? RIGHT???

sorry ... i'm bitter
    My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

Oh man, I'll try that and I hope like hell it works. That would be a banner-Mac day, wouldn't it! :-P
      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
      Want to:

Comment

My money is on it working out of the box.
        Carputer status: [-*---------]
        Im thinking laptop...

Comment

I am using the Rayming TN-200, and it requires a driver for the Mac.

It can be found here: http://www.rayming.com/download/TN200_MacDriver.zip
          ---
          Work in progress - 95% Complete

MacMini 1.42GHz 1GB RAM - WiFi, Bluetooth
          NewerTech miniStack 160GB
          Xenarc 7" 700TSV

GPS - Rayming TN-200 w/ Route 66
          XM PCR
          AM/FM Radio Shark
          CCar Front End
          Carnetix P1900
          Griffin AirClick Remote

Comment

Derek , you got pics of your install? Where'd you put your Mini?
            Want to:

Comment

Not completed 100% yet. What I decided to do was built a ledge under the back flap in the 'trunk' area...I know some people want to have access to the unit while driving etc, but I do not. I want everything to be as out of the way as possible.

Will put together some photo's when I get it completed.
              ---

Xenarc 7" 700TSV

XM PCR
              AM/FM Radio Shark
              CCar Front End
              Carnetix P1900
              Griffin AirClick Remote

Comment

That's where I put my PC but wanted to put the Mini up front because the DVD drive is there. I may rethink that because right now I don't have a CD rom in the car and don't really miss it. Thanks!
                Want to:

Comment

I have no positive input to your question, I just came in here to flame a newb
                  AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
                  Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
                  Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
                  -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

I decided to put back there for several reasons. To keep it out of the way for one.

Figure there are not many times I am going to want to watch a DVD where I need to insert it while I am driving. Figure I will normally do this at the beginning of the trip.

Most of the DVD's I will watch (from my collection) are ripped and on the hard drive. If you guys have't used HANDBRAKE it will rip a DVD to 1GB or less allow for many on the HD.
                    ---

Xenarc 7" 700TSV

XM PCR
                    AM/FM Radio Shark
                    CCar Front End
                    Carnetix P1900
                    Griffin AirClick Remote

Comment

Originally posted by xBrady
                      I have no positive input to your question, I just came in here to flame a newb
                      That's okay, I asked for it!

So, nobody else is using a GPS receiver with their Mac?
                      Want to:

Comment

mac users don't need gps ... they never even need directions because they know EVERYTHING ... that's why they own a MAC right? (and get impressed that they can make DVDs with menus ... because PCs can't do that)

ok sorry ... I'm not being helpful

edit: for the record I don't hate macs ... just most users. they're like a 16 year old blonde with a new M3 ... they have this amazingly powerful machine, but they think it's special because it has heated seats.
                        My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

Originally posted by shakes
                          edit: for the record I don't hate macs ... just most users. they're like a 16 year old blonde with a new M3 ... they have this amazingly powerful machine, but they think it's special because it has heated seats.
                          s'alright. We're a rabid bunch. Try using a platform for 15 years where you get lectured that it's overpriced, got no software and the company that makes it is going out of business. It creates a bunker mentality.
                          Want to:

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte
                            s'alright. We're a rabid bunch. Try using a platform for 15 years where you get lectured that it's overpriced, got no software and the company that makes it is going out of business. It creates a bunker mentality.
                            That's an awesome quote... Kinda sums up how I feel most times.
                            WRX + Mac mini Progress:
                            [|---------] 1% (Planning & Fund-raising)
                            Visit the project headquarters.

Comment

i have this one, came with a route66pro mac-bundle
                              it came with a cd w/mac-drivers and a link to update
                              that one i've not with me right now, but i will look asap
                              BUT, the one i received is of black-smoked plastik *geek*
                              although i wanted the red one, matching color of my car

distributed in germany by higoto.com & sold by arktis.de
                              http://www.arktis.de/detail_hardware.php4?artikel=1668

there are also gps-mices w/ mac-support: http://www.navpoint.de
                              drivers: http://www.navpoint.de/images/Freeware/treiber_macx.zip
                              RTFM!
                              BMW/Alpina B10 BiTurbo 5series, Apple Powerbook G4 Titanium OSX.3.9 based CarPC w/ iPaq GPS running TomTom

Comment

Working...
                              X