• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual PC on Mac Mini

anyone tried this? is this slow?

Originally posted by Piperclub
    anyone tried this? is this slow?
    I haven't tried it on the mini, but I have done it on some new G5s at work and it is not that fast....it all depends on what you are going to be running on the virtualpc....i'm guessing that playing music or videos would slow it down quite a bit but don't know for sure....maybe I'll try it next week and let you know, if no one responds before that
    Progress: |##########| 99.99%
    - Tweaking and enjoying!!!! Never really done.....

-= MachPuter Project =-
    -= MachPuter Project Worklog=-

Comment

On one of the Mac threads, there was a report that someone was using it for navigation and it worked fine. You probably need plenty of RAM, but that's about it.

If it still works like it did a few years ago when I tried it, you can resume it from where you shut VPC down previously. Not quite like hibernation, but quicker.
      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
      Want to:
      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

It works. Video plays suprisingly smooth, audio as well. I haven't tried running any really intense programs on top of xp, like nav, but I am guessing they would be a little sluggish. Overall, I wouldn't call it slow, and I only have the 1.25ghz mini.
        Carputer status: [-*---------]
        Im thinking laptop...

Comment

Think of it this way. VPC v1.0 comes out during the G3 heyday I believe...
          It runs, well, nothing well. But you can finally open powerpoint things on a mac, among a few others.

Fast forward to VPC6 and Connectix is starting to suck *** badly. Barely able to hang onto their own software, they sell it to M$, finally some say.

2 or so years later, VPC7 comes out from Microsoft, so one expects it to be faster... and comparing v7 to v6, yes it is faster...

But think about this, VPC is complete hardware emulation using NOTHING but your CPU, it takes no advantages of having dual processors, 64bit threads, your graphics cards RAM or really anything physically found in your nice blazing fast G5. So because its EMU of course speed takes a hit, but how major?

Well as hardware increases in complexity and abilities, the emulator must change as well. But when you are trying to run, say Doom3 in VPC, it runs like total *** because its all taken care of by the CPU. Run doom3 as a mac program, its much better. Maybe Doom is a bad example, but even with todays newest and best VPC, its going to run like total **** compared to any PC counterpart.

Using VPC is not a substitute for a real Windoze box on your desk. VPC should only be used to run either pre Win2k programs OR programs that run very very few threads. If a PC needs power to run a program, you arent going to find that power matched in VPC.

If you use VPC for navigation software, i assume it is fine because it takes no processing power. Though the cost of VPC (you buy software still, are you stupid...?) vs the wait time for a good mac GPS, may even out. But if yer gonna just use VPC for navigation, hit yourself on the head many times until it becomes clear you are doing something wrong.
          (All done)
          iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

Comment

Originally posted by sdashiki
            Think of it this way. VPC v1.0 comes out during the G3 heyday I believe...
            It runs, well, nothing well. But you can finally open powerpoint things on a mac, among a few others.

Fast forward to VPC6 and Connectix is starting to suck *** badly. Barely able to hang onto their own software, they sell it to M$, finally some say.

2 or so years later, VPC7 comes out from Microsoft, so one expects it to be faster... and comparing v7 to v6, yes it is faster...

But think about this, VPC is complete hardware emulation using NOTHING but your CPU, it takes no advantages of having dual processors, 64bit threads, your graphics cards RAM or really anything physically found in your nice blazing fast G5. So because its EMU of course speed takes a hit, but how major?

Well as hardware increases in complexity and abilities, the emulator must change as well. But when you are trying to run, say Doom3 in VPC, it runs like total *** because its all taken care of by the CPU. Run doom3 as a mac program, its much better. Maybe Doom is a bad example, but even with todays newest and best VPC, its going to run like total **** compared to any PC counterpart.

Using VPC is not a substitute for a real Windoze box on your desk. VPC should only be used to run either pre Win2k programs OR programs that run very very few threads. If a PC needs power to run a program, you arent going to find that power matched in VPC.

If you use VPC for navigation software, i assume it is fine because it takes no processing power. Though the cost of VPC (you buy software still, are you stupid...?) vs the wait time for a good mac GPS, may even out. But if yer gonna just use VPC for navigation, hit yourself on the head many times until it becomes clear you are doing something wrong.
            I think I would put a pc and a mac in my car before I resolved to run navigation through VPC, or just get a garmin or whatever. I kinda agree with you on this, except it isn't what he asked. I am replying with this in hopes of saving him/her from some head trauma.

P.S. Yeah Doom3 is a really bad example. My girlfriend is a musician going into her fourth year, and uses several pc programs that either arent on Mac or are too expensive anyway(Finale is like $500). VPC works well for them.
            Im thinking laptop...

Comment

Vpc

I use VPC 7.0.1 on my powerbook 10.3.9 its..very sloooooow...

However, looks like the only realistic solution for voice/turn by turn gps on the horizon..so will be testing this in the not too distant future.

Drat it pains me to support Bill with my hard earned $$ :-)

Comment

Yeah, i'm thinking of popping a gps navigation software into VPC. I'm not from the US or UK, so navigation maps are very limited.

So it should be fine I gather?

Will 1GB be sufficient on a Mac Mini with 1.42Ghz?

Comment

1gb

On powerbook 256M (the default) allocated for vpc.. more does not seem to make any difference..ymmv.

We r in oz so same issues with maps .makes me wanna go back :-)

rgds

Comment

Originally posted by Piperclub
                    Yeah, i'm thinking of popping a gps navigation software into VPC. I'm not from the US or UK, so navigation maps are very limited.

So it should be fine I gather?

Will 1GB be sufficient on a Mac Mini with 1.42Ghz?
                    It should be sufficient.
                    Im thinking laptop...

Comment

i've placed the order for vpc, will drop a note after some testing...

Comment

Who pays for software these days..... only businesses IMO...

shhhh
                        (All done)
                        iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

Comment

Originally posted by sdashiki
                          Who pays for software these days..... only businesses IMO...

shhhh
                          that's nice. now shhh you.

Piperclub:
                          would love to hear an update on how Virtual PPC works with 10.4. I've read somewhere the performance was expected to have improved about 10-15% with most PC apps. unforunately, I cannot re-find that review.
                          "If it works this good why F with it?" -KMFDM "Intro"

Strive for ethical wardriving: http://faq.wardrive.net/

My CarCPUs: v1 - 2000 | v2 - 2004
                          Mp3Car Meets: http://detrimental.org/eyecandy/MP3CarMeets

Comment

me 2

I'd like to know this as well as I have tiger but not game to 'upgrade' as yet..one of the apps I unfortunately need (for now) is vpc.

thanks

Comment

Piperclub:
                              I was wondering if you ever tested VPC and some form of Win software? If so, I would like to know how it worked out.
                              SEH

P.S. Sorry for reviving an old thread. Hope the dust does not bother anyone

Edited for typo - darn treo keyboard!

Comment

Working...
                              X