Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were never going to have a frontend? :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Were never going to have a frontend? :(

    Guys, I see that no one STILL has developed a frontend for us that works and is complete... it's getting me frustrated because I'll like to run something clean and still haven't been able to... the way it looks they will probably release a MAC TINY (LOL) by the time there's a frontend that actually works..
    1995 3000GT RED : MIAMI'S HOTTEST 3000GT
    V6King.com - 1st MAC MINI on a 3S

  • #2
    Why whine... Start researching programming languages to create your own instead of complaining untill someone else does it for you...
    Is this where the witty comment goes?
    97 Black pearl Mazda Miata MX-5 Carpc V2? maybee..

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Stealth97
      Why whine... Start researching programming languages to create your own instead of complaining untill someone else does it for you...

      Listen I'm doing my part in other ways.. I've never been into programming and I don't have the time for it honestly... I'm not whining, I just see that no one is going to make a frontend...

      JP
      1995 3000GT RED : MIAMI'S HOTTEST 3000GT
      V6King.com - 1st MAC MINI on a 3S

      Comment


      • #4
        If you weren't whining...then it was just your passive aggressive way of getting someone to build a front end for you :-) ???

        Would you pay for one if available? How much? Someone might be more incline to get one up and going (or there might even be one available and just not released) if there was an incentive to do so.

        On the other hand... just to have people stop whining about not having one may be enough :-)

        All ribbing aside, there are lots of volunteer efforts in the works...just that FREE stuff takes time, stuff you have to pay for takes even longer.

        Comment


        • #5
          Define "works" and "is complete"?

          Have you contributed to an effort to define what those mean? What functionality do you want and in what order do you want it? Who is going to do the programming? What language? What is the architecture?

          Did you contribute to the thread about what the database for CCarproject should look like? Did you respond to BenjaminS' thread asking for help?

          Open source works best when more than one programmer is carrying the burden. Right now, there's only one and that means it's going to take some time.
          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:
          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

          Comment


          • #6
            Guys I'm not asking Ben or any one of us to build a frontend for me... Be realistic we don't have a frontend like Media Engine or sumthing of that sort... AND YES I WOULD PAY for a frontend that works for my needs like I have with other software etc... Ben's project looks promising in the future, I believe he already mentioned that he will not have VLC or MPLAYER capabilities which was what I was mostly interested on...I have over 500 Music Videos and some 40 Movies which composes my Mac Mini etc.. I have already contacted Media Engine and asked for their help on migrating they're software for the Mac and told them we were very interested in frontend at this point... I didn't post this thread for the intention of making anyone angry, I just wanted to see how you guys feel exactly about this issue.. That's ALL

            ::JP
            1995 3000GT RED : MIAMI'S HOTTEST 3000GT
            V6King.com - 1st MAC MINI on a 3S

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Qbancash
              Guys, I see that no one STILL has developed a frontend for us that works and is complete... it's getting me frustrated because I'll like to run something clean and still haven't been able to... the way it looks they will probably release a MAC TINY (LOL) by the time there's a frontend that actually works..
              I hear ya. I say the same thing to myself, and then I tell myself the same things they told you. I would never tell these guys or Ben that I am frustrated... it's definitely not their fault or their problem. We would both gladly pay for said software, we just dont have the time or resources to develop it ourselves. It is just more appropriate, you see, to apply constructive criticism in some places, and save the frustration venting for your mom.
              Carputer status: [-*---------]
              Im thinking laptop...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Qbancash
                Guys I'm not asking Ben or any one of us to build a frontend for me... Be realistic we don't have a frontend like Media Engine or sumthing of that sort... AND YES I WOULD PAY for a frontend that works for my needs like I have with other software etc... Ben's project looks promising in the future, I believe he already mentioned that he will not have VLC or MPLAYER capabilities which was what I was mostly interested on...I have over 500 Music Videos and some 40 Movies which composes my Mac Mini etc.. I have already contacted Media Engine and asked for their help on migrating they're software for the Mac and told them we were very interested in frontend at this point... I didn't post this thread for the intention of making anyone angry, I just wanted to see how you guys feel exactly about this issue.. That's ALL

                ::JP
                Why contact Media Engine when Road Runner is programmed with the same programming language (VB), is open source, and is imo much more advanced feature-wise and bug-wise... If you think you can adapt that to run on a mac (afaik there is NOTHING that brings comptaibility between mac<>vb programs) so I really dont know what you are trying to achieve...

                The source for windows is out there and freely available, however I dont think it is at all useable for Macs
                Roy

                2005 Range Rover 4.4
                Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Well, for a stopgap, run Virtual PC and Road Runner. When a native front end comes around, use it.
                  Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                  I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                  Want to:
                  -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                  -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Does that work as a solution?

                    Does freedrive work?

                    Is it very lagging?

                    What drawbacks does that reprsent?

                    at $500 for the macmini, if this works well I might even consider it!
                    Roy

                    2005 Range Rover 4.4
                    Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It Will Be Very Laggy... Not Worth That route

                      The frustration I'm having is myself I don't blame anyone for it, like I said when Ben said he will not implement VLC or MPLAYER, I knew that CCAR was not for me, so far it's the ONLY FRONTEND that is getting somewhere and looks promising, but I just feel frustrated at the fact that the MAC MINI is the IDEAL carputer and there's not one damn KNOWN frontend developer for PC that will migrate it to the MAC, Alot of you are taking this a bit to personal and have not understanded what I tried to say.

                      I just wanted to see if those of you who HAVE ACTUALLY DONE THIS MINI SETUP (not those who are considering it, because you guys don't have an idea of how difficult it can be) are navigating through the MEDIA.I have tried all sorts of apps and different ideas to make it easier.. I'll just keep waiting since you all don't seem to care about waiting, half of you just talk and don't even have a running setup. Please understand what I meant and avoid your insults that involve my MOM! Thanks

                      ::JP
                      1995 3000GT RED : MIAMI'S HOTTEST 3000GT
                      V6King.com - 1st MAC MINI on a 3S

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        apparently MMC isgoing to be multiplatform... so there IS at least one known developer
                        Roy

                        2005 Range Rover 4.4
                        Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by RoyN
                          afaik there is NOTHING that brings comptaibility between mac<>vb programs
                          Not true Realbasic converts VB apps to realbasic which runs on osx

                          altho it can't use the mp3 and video functions someone could implament quicktime or something else for it then all RR skins would work on RRmac or whatever you would call it.

                          only problem is buying realbasic cost abit
                          CarPC Status:
                          GPS: 99%
                          Hardware: 99%
                          Software: 92%
                          Case Install: 99.9%
                          Dash Install: 100%
                          Car Install: 72%

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Qbancash
                            It Will Be Very Laggy... Not Worth That route
                            ::JP
                            How do you know? Have you tried? I wasn't joking.

                            VPC may be too slow for many applications - it may not decode DVD's very well, but it's also not a complete piece of junk. If it was utterly useless, they wouldn't sell any copies. The Mini isn't quick, but the processor runs at 1.25 or 1.42, which is faster than my dual 1ghz G4 tower and it uses faster memory. Without actually trying it, you don't really know. Maybe someone here with VPC and a Mini could try it.

                            So far, reports by one user are that, while slow, VPC runs GPS software adequately, with enough memory in the Mini. Maybe it will run a front end.

                            I have a Mini and am in the middle of installing it. I'll be facing the same issues very soon, so I'm sure to be motivated to work on it. If I wasn't broke from buying the Mini, I'd give VPC a try for you.

                            And sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way. It's just that the post struck me as a "you brought up a problem rather than a solution" thread.
                            Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                            Want to:
                            -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                            -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by RoyN
                              apparently MMC isgoing to be multiplatform... so there IS at least one known developer
                              Was just going to bring this up. I thought they had already released the Mac version but apparently not.
                              AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
                              Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
                              Installed.


                              -GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
                              -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X