My mic won't fit....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My mic won't fit....

Anybody know the "official" name of the jack on the side of my friends powerbook?? I just bought a new mic and it doesn't fit. What kind of adapter do i need/where's the best place to get it.

much appreciated (btw i did search twice)
    I'mmmmmm a n00b.... feel free to make fun

It isnt a standard 1/8" audio jack? That is what I would assume.... what is on the end of the mic? What does the input look like also?
    Carputer status: [-*---------]
    Im thinking laptop...

Comment

You would think it'd be normal. The mic is the normal thing, it fits in the audio ports on the back of my motherboard, and the audio ports on the front of my case, but not in his powerbook. I think it's a mini-jack, but idk if that's what it's called, or a 2.5 mm jack. Also if anyone knows the best place to get an adapter.

Comment

try radio shack. I know i've accidentally bought a two-way splitter that was a 2.5mm plug to two 3.5mm jacks, so i'm sure they would also have one that's just a single adapter.
        But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
        Originally posted by Viscouse
        I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
        eegeek.net

Comment

ok, but can i get a conformation that that's what it's called? a 2.5 mm jack?

Comment

From the powerbook manual at the apple support site.

You can record sound onto your hard disk using the built-in microphone located under the left speaker grille. You can also connect external microphones or other audio equipment to the audio line in port. The audio line in port is a stereo 3.5 mini-phono jack, which does not provide power to a connected device, so you must use selfpowered peripherals. For applications, such as iMovie, that can record sounds, use the Sound pane of System Preferences to select the audio input device you want to use, including microphones connected via USB.

Comment

ok, this is my mic connector, it looks normal to me. Isn't that a 3.5mm jack?

Wth won't it go into a powerbook?
              Attached Files

Comment

anybody?

Comment

it should be a 1/8" jack.. if it doesnt fit, then your either going into the wrong one or its an older powerbook.. take a picture of the jack on the computer..

ryan

Comment

Well, in the old days (Mid 90's to ??) Apple used like an inch long tip for the microphones. Otherwise it's the same width just a lot longer. I wonder how old that powerbook is...
                    My Mac Jeep

Comment

If the 1/8" Mini plug (the one pictured above) is just a bit too big for the female connector on the Powerbook, it could be a "Micro" plug. it's 3/32" in size. Radio shack carries an adapter. HERE
                      The official name of this jack is a 3/32" Micro btw. (if thats what it is)

Comment

My Powerbook has a standard 3.5mm 1/8" hole.

Comment

Working...
                        X