Annoucing iKarr

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoucing iKarr

Hey everyone...I have posted an attempt at the start of a front end and thought I would see what people thought. You can find it here
    http://netfiles.uiuc.edu/joshkarr/iKarr/
    Then just right click on iKarr v.01.zip and "save link as" then you should be good to go. My brother and I have been working on it and it is written with interface builder and applescript. Nothing too complicated but it seems to work and thats what we are going for. Right now only iTunes basic features are working. It is a "front end" so iTunes is still running but now you have bigger buttons and a more friendly interface. If anyone has thoughts or ideas or would like to add code let me know. I'm not really a programmer and neither my brother or I are that familiar with applescript so any help is welcome. Thanks.
    JDKARR01
    Mac Mini(80 Gb/512Mb mem/Airport/Bluetooth)
    GPS(Route 66-hopefully something better soon)
    DWW-700M
    Progress[still buying stuff]

how about some screen shots?
    Mazda 3, meet Mac Mini. Mac Mini, meet Mazda 3.
    Mac Mini in-car coming soon.
    Progress: [||||||||||||||||||--] (90% Complete,Initial install is complete, now adding on and fine tuning.)
    Progress Blog: http://mikemazda3.blogspot.com/

Comment

Suggestions:

Ability to change the center graphic.
      Ability to change the text on the title bar
      Ability to change the system volume

That is it for now.
      Some of my sites:
      http://www.knightrider.org
      http://www.macmariner.com

Comment

Yeah screen shots
        my wish list:
        http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...tSignature.jpg

Comment

Here's one
          Attached Files
          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:
          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

well i know it's early in development but here are a few things that I think could improve this:

1. skinable. very cool to be able to change it to look how you want.
            2. bluephoneelite integration. I just found this software and sounds cool, haven't used it yet because I don't have bt phone ... damn behind the times sidekick2
            3. I would like to see the display for song titles to look a more like itunes. and what if the songtitle is too long for the space? does it shrink or does it scroll?
            4. agree with the system volume comment.

it's a good start. thanks for the contribution to the scene.
            Progress: [||||||||||||||||||--] (90% Complete,Initial install is complete, now adding on and fine tuning.)

Comment

Originally posted by TxMazda3
              well i know it's early in development but here are a few things that I think could improve this:

1. skinable. very cool to be able to change it to look how you want.
              2. bluephoneelite integration. I just found this software and sounds cool, haven't used it yet because I don't have bt phone ... damn behind the times sidekick2
              3. I would like to see the display for song titles to look a more like itunes. and what if the songtitle is too long for the space? does it shrink or does it scroll?
              4. agree with the system volume comment.

it's a good start. thanks for the contribution to the scene.
              bluephonelite might be worth the $20 when pc speakerphone finally gets implemented.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts guys. Few responses:
                1. All of this is customizable by you if you have apple developer tools. I can post the project and you guys can change names and icons the hard way for now. I dont really know how to skin things at this point becuase I just used the default interface builder brushed metal.

2.Eventually System Volume will be integrated into everything but I figured that if you wanted to be able to turn iTunes on low but do other things that people might prefer to edit iTunes volume on this tab. I dont know though...thats why I asked for the input.

3.I do want bluetooth integration but I do not have a bluetooth phone right now. If anyone would like to work on this please let me know.

4.Right now I believe the song title is just cut off. I wouldnt mind doing scrolling like iTunes but I'm not sure how to with applescript so if someone knows let me know.

Thanks guys for all of your comments it might take me awhile but Joel and I will try and keep up with some of your suggestions.
                JDKARR01
                DWW-700M

Comment

Everybodys suggestions sounds good to me. I just got the Mini and have not installed anything yet. Touchscreen is next. I'm just getting use to the MAC.

From what I see now with the mini I like running !tunes with the !tunes visual running. I can control the volume from my HU steering wheel controls.

I want a front end but it does not have to be anything fancy - For now - Keep it coming guys

Comment

What you are doing is correct. A FRONT END.

I expected even the best of the best (non commercial releases) to be font ends. Things that run fullscren OVER other programs like iTunes and Quicktime.

Basically making the iTunes interface into a touchscreen interface with extra buttons for GPS, dvd etc etc...
                    (All done)
                    iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

Comment

How about a clock on the start/home page? Heck why not change home to clock or time? Do you need a home with all the good buttons? I think it is a good start!
                      7" Lilliput
                      1.42 Mac mini (512MB,80GB,Combo,Bluetooth,Airport)
                      Carnetix P1900 with CNX-P5V
                      Radioshark
                      GPS (BU-303)
                      Polk MMC 650
                      Infinity Kappa 62.7i
                      Alpine MRP-F240

Comment

svhall60, how are you going to control the volume from your steering wheel buttons?

Comment

Guys thanks for your repsonses. Definitely working on the time for home. Basically that is there as a starting point that would have date and time and maybe a logo we just havent gotten there yet. Bugbyte is really helping me out so hopefully I will be able to keep updating it. Sidenote is that the Pycar port is supposedly coming along so we may have that too. Back to work I go.
                          Josh
                          JDKARR01
                          DWW-700M

Comment

Originally posted by TxMazda3
                            svhall60, how are you going to control the volume from your steering wheel buttons?
                            I will run the audio out of the mini to my HU SAT input with an adaptor for the 04 Maxima.(I'v already check with a company in Orlando that sales and ships the adaptor for $115. The adaptor will allow me to control the SAT input as if it was XM or Siris. Adaptor also comes with 2 inputs to control another audio sourse because my SAT input has 2 channels. This all allows me the use of my steering wheel volume.

Comment

iKarr v.02

Hey guys some minor fixes and some improving thanks to Bugbyte. I also added that date and time to the "Home" tab. Next up I think is searching for songs and setting some iTunes prefs. Posted in the same place:
                              https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/joshkarr/iKarr/
                              JDKARR01
                              DWW-700M

Comment

Working...
                              X