working with xm direct and macxm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• working with xm direct and macxm

ok, being a long time sirius subscriber (my last two stereos where kenwoods) i decided to byte the bullet and move to xm. i got the instructions to create the xm direct serial cable and purchased an xm direct reciever. i got it all hooked up through an extra usb-serial adapter and tested it with timetrax on a windows laptop (works great). now to macxm. apparently mac xm doesn't really support the xm direct hacks but only the xmpcr. i finally got it to see the device by issuing a few commands found on the website into the terminal but it still will not connect. i can get the unit to come to the activation dialog only if i connect the unit to my pc, power it on and then swap it to the mac. otherwise, i simply get a error. it says something like "startup command not synchronized."

i have heard that there is some magic code which must be given to put the direct into pcr mode and have even seen them posted in forums. the problem is... HOW do i enter this. do i put it in the terminal? what commands do i give? can i automate the process? has anyone ever done this before?

update:
    according to this site: http://weblogs.asp.net/bstahlhood/ar...17/243527.aspx this is the code:

5AA50003740001740D
    5AA5000474020101740D
    5AA50003740B00740D

in hex format. now how do i send this to the xmd?

Comment

Keep us posted on this. I tried MacXM on my Mac once and got the same problem you had. I'll be back on it as soon as I finish my Mini installation
      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
      Want to:
      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Xmpcr

Not that this is helpful to what you are doing, but I am using the PCR and it works great...

They are still available on eBay for pretty reasonable prices.
        ---
        Work in progress - 95% Complete

MacMini 1.42GHz 1GB RAM - WiFi, Bluetooth
        NewerTech miniStack 160GB
        Xenarc 7" 700TSV

GPS - Rayming TN-200 w/ Route 66
        XM PCR
        AM/FM Radio Shark
        CCar Front End
        Carnetix P1900
        Griffin AirClick Remote

Comment

well, i just picked up one for $75 shipped on ebay. that sucks considering they were $50 when they were being made. i will keep trying on this one for a while and then return it to best buy and perhaps sell the cable.

Comment

guys, just an update, i am working with nsayer (the creator of jxm and macxm) on getting the support for xm direct units working. I have no programming knowledge whatsoever so it is basically him telling me what to do and me doing it then sending him the results. if you would like to help out please download jxm from www.javaxm.com and then place the modified jxm.jar into the jxm program (ctrl click on jxm, click show contents and navigate to /contents/resources/java then drop in the replacement jxm.jar.

the modified jxm.jar and our current progress can be found at: http://www.hackingradio.com/viewtopic.php?t=277 you can post as a guest as well so feel free to give your input.

Comment

I've downloaded it. The XM is in the car, so I'll have to give it a go maybe this weekend. The program looks very much like MacXM. Is it related?
              Originally posted by ghettocruzer
              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
              Want to:
              -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
              -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

yes, nsayer quit working on macxm a while back and instead focused upon jxm to mac a more cross-platform solution. this was the result. afaik macxm is pretty much dead.

Comment

Lovedamacmini, I'm following up on this thread and would like to know if you ever got JXM running. I currently have JXM v1.2 with the latest jxm.jar from the thread. When I launch JXM, it powers up gets the XM Preview channel and Emergency Alert channel then errors out with " (!) Mismatch waiting for first flag".

Note:
                  1. I have not activated my XM
                  2. Running tiger

Any pointers will help.
                  Cheers

Comment

yeah, i have since removed the mini from the car completely and have ceased testing. sorry but i needed the mini as my main computer and was just getting tired of all the work.

Comment

Working...
                    X