Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G3/G4 upgrade questions

I need a mac guru on this one.....

I got a Blue and White G3 powered mac for the small price of 8 beers, so I figured why not upgrade it? as it stands it has a 300 Mhz G3 processor. I would love to get this thing to at least a fast G3 to play with. I hope to get a G4 (is it worth it?) ideally, but, I'm noticing the processor upgrade prices from the places I've seen are insane!!!

Does anyone have a site recommendation for picking up upgrades for the mac relatively cheaply? I already have 768MB of ram, a Bigger Hard drive, and CD/DVD-RW upgrades on the way but I need a faster processor for what I want to do.

Not cheap

Not sure what you want to do but the prices I saw were starting around 200.00 and went up to 800.00. Upgrading macs is never cheap, which is why I got a G4 instead of upgrading my G3. What are your plans with the Mac, you may have other options.
    God made me the geek I am, the freak part came from watching RHPS too many times and drinking Re-Animator fuid at Con's too much.

Comment

specifically to dabble in the dark art of mac, since I've been dealing with PC's for my entire career. I just want to learn the ins-and-outs and probably do some photoshop, and my brother will probably want to play with final cut

Comment

Well, you can easily play with OS X on a G3 with alot of memory, but final cut may be a problem. I was able to get a free Mac Mini from one of the online sites. Would you be interested, it does require some effort on your part but it works.
        God made me the geek I am, the freak part came from watching RHPS too many times and drinking Re-Animator fuid at Con's too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Hcomplyr
          I need a mac guru on this one.....

I got a Blue and White G3 powered mac for the small price of 8 beers, so I figured why not upgrade it? as it stands it has a 300 Mhz G3 processor. I would love to get this thing to at least a fast G3 to play with. I hope to get a G4 (is it worth it?) ideally, but, I'm noticing the processor upgrade prices from the places I've seen are insane!!!

Does anyone have a site recommendation for picking up upgrades for the mac relatively cheaply? I already have 768MB of ram, a Bigger Hard drive, and CD/DVD-RW upgrades on the way but I need a faster processor for what I want to do.
          http://eshop.macsales.com/ I've used them since 2002 and only had one problem with a ram stick but they sent a replacement. Check there, see if you like it...
          My Mac Jeep

Comment

the prices look pretty good, so whats the main difference between the G3 and the G4?

My main options would be.....

G4 450-500 $129 OWC
            G4 500Mhz $159 Sonnet
            G4 700Mhz $199 Sonnet
            G3 1Ghz $219 Powerlogix

any opinions between them?

Comment

the prices look pretty good, so whats the main difference between the G3 and the G4?

G4 450-500 $129 OWC
              G4 500Mhz $159 Sonnet
              G4 700Mhz $199 Sonnet
              G3 1Ghz $219 Powerlogix

I've always like their prices and especially shipping prices too but in my opinion it would be better to go for a G4 because of the AltiVec core. The closest thing in PC terms would be the MMX thingy. AltiVec is a 128bit thing on the chip that allows more instructions to be processed. I noticed a difference betwen my PowerBook G3 with 400mhz and 192mb compared to my PowerBook G4 400mhz with 128mb of ram. I could play multiple videos at once with few hiccups compared to not be able to play more than threee with my G3. Some applications are written to take advantage of the altivec core and you will some speed improvements with those and some software requires G4's or higher. Sorry about the lack of structure of this post but I'm just trying to tell you everything I remember. If I was in your situation I would go for the slower G4 than a fast G3 but let's hear what other people have to say.

You can also look at this, if your into reading about processors [yuck]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltiVec
              My Mac Jeep

Comment

yeah this "Altivec" sounds basically like SSE/SIMD

so the G3 would be the Pentium 2
                and the G4 would be the Pentium 3

Comment

Originally posted by Doshen
                  Well, you can easily play with OS X on a G3 with alot of memory, but final cut may be a problem. I was able to get a free Mac Mini from one of the online sites. Would you be interested, it does require some effort on your part but it works.
                  Just as a friendly reminder, we do not allow advertising of any free Mac Mini or Ipod deals here.

My recommendation is to use ebay to surf around for Mac Parts. Sometimes you can get them for a steal, and other times not. Just have to look and wait around for a bit sometimes.
                  "If it works this good why F with it?" -KMFDM "Intro"

Strive for ethical wardriving: http://faq.wardrive.net/

My CarCPUs: v1 - 2000 | v2 - 2004
                  Mp3Car Meets: http://detrimental.org/eyecandy/MP3CarMeets

Comment

specifically to dabble in the dark art of mac, since I've been dealing with PC's for my entire career. I just want to learn the ins-and-outs and probably do some photoshop, and my brother will probably want to play with final cut
                    drop me a line:

AIM: grihm phiver
                    MSN-M: [email protected]
                    YIM: draggon_hedd

im a bit of a mac guru, so to speak. i can help you out with anything mac really.

Comment

G4 450-500 $129 OWC
                      G4 500Mhz $159 Sonnet
                      G4 700Mhz $199 Sonnet
                      G3 1Ghz $219 Powerlogix

The Sonnet 500 looks like a good bet. A G4 Mac for $159, although you may need to upgrade the memory. Final Cut won't be too snappy on it, but if you intend to dabble and the if you like it, buy a newer Mac, it seems like the 500 mhz upgrade is the way to go.

If you don't intend to buy a newer Mac anytime soon, I'd go for the 700 mhz upgrade.
                      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                      Want to:
                      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

dubious

the value of a lot of these upgrades have been blown out of the water with the arrival of the mini and cheaper emacs...especially given the limitations of the older machines...having said that, I am also running 10.3.9 on a 128+32M imac 233 with a 6GB Hdd...runs quit well for basic web /graphics etc...you might get an email with a word doc, click on it, then go and get a cup of coffee, as by the time X fires up and openoffice starts up you can enjoy a nice brew :-) However, cannot justify upgrade costs for what you get.

this is further compromised by the fact that you are dealing with much older tech (the rest of hardware) .. so you might spend say 130 at best for upgrade, +time to actually upgrade, +additional hassle (these are never straight forward..believe me) and what do you get ?

just my 2c worth

YMMV

Comment

Mac mini, 1.42Ghz G4 processor is well worth the extra bucks considering a sonnet/Zif upgrade of even half the specs of the mini would set you back a couple of hundred.

FCP is not for the tame. You dont "dabble" in FCP, you are either tooling around and learning it or using it. U dabble in iMovie. If you want to be serious about FCP you need a serious computer. Otherwise you are only using FCP for minor non linear edits of web downloads?
                          (All done)
                          iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

Comment

a few more CPU upgrades worth checking out:

FastMac
                            Daystar

Im probably going for a Daystar 550 mhz G4 upgrade for my G3 Powerbook (Pismo). Have already bought 100 gb Seagate disk and 1024 mb Crucial RAM, with a Sonnet Aria Xtreme wificard and 7200 mah hi-cap. battery coming soon

Comment

With all those upgrades, it might of been cheaper to buy a used powerbook off ebay:-)
                              "If it works this good why F with it?" -KMFDM "Intro"

Strive for ethical wardriving: http://faq.wardrive.net/

My CarCPUs: v1 - 2000 | v2 - 2004
                              Mp3Car Meets: http://detrimental.org/eyecandy/MP3CarMeets

Comment

Working...
                              X