MacMini

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MacMini

So my boyfriends sister works for Best Buy as a Regional Training Manager and some how she got her hands on a MacMini. I've been tossing around the idea of using it in my car. I just have a few reservations:

Power supply, will a regular ATX power supply work with the macMini (for instance my M1)?

hard drive - it just take a laptop IDE drive right? so if I wanted to switch to a 100gb drive I should be able to?

sound - how would I go about getting optic out of it?

I'm sure some of these questions have been answered somewhere, but I'll ask them again in hope that I can get some specific answers.

TIA!
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

tut tut red!

As for PSU I would sell your M1 and go with a carnetix P1900 thingy.

Hard drive - don't see why not.

audio...checked the apple site and they had this:

http://www.apple.com/macmini/accessories.html

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main.html

It has optical but it may only be pass-through for AC3 and not output other but I doubt it. My soundblaster does AC3 pass-through and outputs normal PC sounds to my surround sound reciever by the coax digital (i dont use analogue).

Love,

Scousy-wousy!

Comment

the sarcasm is strong with you.

edit: at least I thought she was being sarcastic.

Comment

You want the Griffin Firewave for audio out. I think it has optical out. Though in a car why do you want that?

I know the optical out on my G5 (standard in/out) is only for AC3 DVD playback.

When I was making my artsy fartsy trippy that had a 5.1 soundtrack to it, and I was mixing in Deck (hate that ****en program but without Logic Pro wut u gon do?) I figured I could use an optical cable to a reciever with a 5.1 speaker setup and hear my mix as I made it. I was wrong. It only output the front channels. but when you play a DVD it works fine.

So who knows without trying it eh!?
        (All done)
        iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

Comment

ooo what about this? http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....1.1.1.2.1.0.3

Originally posted by mac store
          The UA-1X is a simple USB audio interface designed to offer component-quality audio signals to & from your Mac. The UA-1X offers superior sound quality input & output from the computer through RCA jacks. The UA-1X also has an S/PDIF optical output to send digital signals to digital destinations

Comment

or this but it anit cheap....(but then Red is loaded) http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....1.1.1.2.1.0.1

oooo Red, get one of these on your parcel shelf! sweet! http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....0.1.1.0.1.0.1

Comment

Review:

"I was a bit skeptical about this gadget, until I hooked it up.
              Really works great, allowing me to feed my iTunes music from my G4 tower to my 30 yo Kenwood amp which in turn, flows out through Bose 501 loudspeakers. Ahhhhhhh...
              I've had some decent "computer speakers" but they just can't compare with this set up."

but again I ask, why optical in car?
              (All done)

Comment

Originally posted by sdashiki
                You want the Griffin Firewave for audio out. I think it has optical out. Though in a car why do you want that?
                are you asking me why I would want optical out for sound in my car?????
                Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Monkey
                  (but then Red is loaded)
                  not loaded, I just don't spend my money on anythig else....other than my motorcycle...that's it...I have no life otherwise...hahaha
                  Jan Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Monkey
                    oooo Red, get one of these on your parcel shelf! sweet! http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....0.1.1.0.1.0.1
                    now where am I going to put those in my car?!?!

Jan Bennett

Comment

YES, why do you want/neeed optical, im curious?
                      (All done)

Comment

I guess she wants optical to some sort of $1,000,000,000,000,000 audio setup she uses as she is loaded

Comment

just use a soundblaster audigy NX2 (usb connection) ... your Mac Mini will recognise it as a audio device, you can use the optical output from that but you can tweak the sound settings from the Mac OS since there are no support software on Mac.

Once you have the optical out, pipe it to something like the Alpine H701 ... and you're pretty much in business.

that's my next upgrade... firewave does not have optical out ....

Comment

but a soundblaster is just not cool enough for a mac user! for a start it's not white or translucent!

Comment

Originally posted by sdashiki
                              YES, why do you want/neeed optical, im curious?

an optic cable won't let noise into the system. all other forms will.

it's a MUCH cleaner signal.
                              Jan Bennett

Comment

Working...
                              X