X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Announcing: iGnition, the key to in-car Mac-based entertainment

Here's the latest progress on my app.

Download Build 2005.8.20 for OSX

Development for Win32 and Linux platforms have been halted. May continue once the OS X version is done.
    For the REAL latest progress, visit my page or read the later pages of this thread.

The windows version didn't work for me.
    Mike
    05 MINI Cooper Cabrio "Mac MINI"
    progress 95%- Mac Mini, Lilliput 7" , usb-wifi, Rayming GPS, Route 66,easy cat touch pad, CCAR front end"skinned",P1900 power supply

Comment

What's it written in?
      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
      Want to:
      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

FireAnt, what do you mean it doesn't work? It won't load up at all? I just downloaded it and tested on my XP machine and it works ok.

Bugbyte, Runtime Revolution. It's Applescript-capable just in case somebody has something really cool I can incorporate.

Comment

Expensive

RRev Seems expensive even with edu pricing for what it is...

Why not dev tools ?

My 2c.

Comment

Yeah it is expensive... but lucky for me, we have a site license at work. Dreamcard is sub-$100, but it's not cross-platform like Revolution. I started out using RealBasic and Xcode, but it was so much faster/easier to use Rev. I didn't intend for others to code this besides me. If someone really wanted to, they could get Dreamcard... even though it can only compile for one platform. Or if they wanted to look at the code, they could just get a 30-day trial of Revolution.

Comment

Lang

This would potentially limit development and ultimately long term support..especially in a open source app.

Similar to the 3D app mentioned a while ago....and tact (which is the only working open source front end I know of..but is somewhat broken in tiger 10.4.2)...

I sincerely hope I am wrong and this takes off and folk support it by developing, providing sugestions etc. However support is likely to wain if this is seen as just another front end... may be better to piggyback on something thats already out there...for example benjamis excellent work on ccCar would be a great place to start assuming the lang is familiar to you, and benjamin is open to it. Seems a wasted effort to have several partial apps.

I for one would like an app that one can potentially tweak to ones needs and put back into the community in the open source tradition....

Just my 2c...

Comment

I say if you have access to that coding tool, and you have the knowledge and the will to write it then go straight ahead!

the more the merrier!

There is no use people standing around and going "oh, this might die in the long term cause not many people will be able to code" if Frodo stops coding then most probably he wont release his code, so what diference is it if it is in VB or something obscure?

If you have the will and the knowledge to make it happen I'm waiting!

would this also work in Linux?

Would this eventually be skinnable or is it tied into the GUI of the OS?
                Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
                Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

Comment

The windows version downloads for me and launches. But nothing works in it? I can high light different songs on the list and seem to be able to click the top buttons near thier edges, but it doesn't play music or let you select options or video and have any screen change take place. The time & Date does work! After closing, Windows task manager says it's still running and using 17,196k of memory and no cpu. i have to end process from there. This is on windows xp home.

Mike
                  05 MINI Cooper Cabrio "Mac MINI"
                  progress 95%- Mac Mini, Lilliput 7" , usb-wifi, Rayming GPS, Route 66,easy cat touch pad, CCAR front end"skinned",P1900 power supply

Comment

RoyN, yes it works with Linux. But the only Linux machine I have access to is at work... and I'm hesitant to test out my mp3 software there. Right now skinning is tied to the GUI... just testing functionality right now. In the future, skins may be supported.

FireAnt, Did you click the "Eject" button and load a folder full of mp3s? And make sure you have Quicktime installed, because that's what it's based on. The top buttons are not functional yet. Everything else should be. Also, this is just a pre-pre-pre-alpha version. I'll optimize the code once I get everything working.

About open source: You can check my other thread here. As much as I'd like for people to add-on and make this the best front-end out there... I'm unable to test everything, which means I can't give it my seal of approval. Same thing goes for skinning. Honestly, for every 1 good skin... there's about 20 mediocre ones. I think it's cool for people to customize, but I don't want people judging my software based on the graphics joe schmoe did. But I know more people will use it if you CAN skin it. I have mixed feelings here.

Besides, right now the car-Mac is young... and anything that works, works. Depending on how things work out... I might be able to make two versions of this software.

Comment

Dont get me wrong...

Originally posted by noodles
                      Besides, right now the car-Mac is young... and anything that works, works. Depending on how things work out... I might be able to make two versions of this software.
                      Did not mean to be critical; agree what works 4 u works for u. At the end of the day, u must have something that u need. If it works for the rest of us thats a bonus...The only point I was trying to make was in order to develop further, the body of knowledge, software might not be there...But then again you must use what you have, and are confortable with !

Keep coding.... :-)

Comment

Well thanks for the support. I'll post a new version with less buggy audio and video support. Maybe some mockups of my vision too. Be back in a few hours.

Comment

Updates!

Comment

Noodles,
                            have you thought about ipod intergration to the system? i'd like to be able to carry most mp3s on my ipod since i use it all the time and plan on having it rigged up to my in car system. i am excited with the level of progress to this project in such a short amount of time! KEEP IT UP!!

Comment

Hmm... I like the layout. But you don't like that whole iTunes playlist thing, do you...

Comment

Working...
                              X