Front End Challange!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front End Challange!

I have been Downloading and trying Differant front end programs for the Mac Mini and each ones is GREAT, and each one is UNFINISHED.
    I would like to gather all who want a front end together and start a REWARD - of $ to the person (or company) who Gives up a FINISHED version of a touch screen interface for the mac mini!

I will start off the fund with $50
    (maybe mp3.car can 'hold' the money)

Here is what It should do.. (people PLEASE ADD)
    Skinnable
    Play Mp3's
    Open apple apps (including dashboard widgets)
    Be screen modifiable (1024x768, 800x600)
    on screen keyboard
    GPS
    (more)

WHO IS UP TO THE CHALLANGE???

Jonathan
    CarPuter Progress:
    New Car:----> [||||||||||||||||||||||] 100%
    Planning:-----> [||||||||||||||||||||||] 100%
    Construction:-> [||||||||||||||||||||||]100%
    Software:-----> [||||||||||] 70%
    Finishing:-----> [|||||||||||||||||||||]99%

Give me money.

Comment

I feel your frustration as well but honestly this isn't going to work, it's not a contest to build an application for the Mac. I'm really upset that till this point there hasn't been a reputable company do a frontend for the mac community. Either we're a few idiots to them or we have just not shown enough interest. I have already emailed almost every company who makes a frontend for windows. I don't like the fact that they are turning down THE WORLD'S BEST CARPUTER , although I'm very proud of Carnetix for putting such a wonderful piece of hardware (p1900).

The MAC has probably the most reliable OS in the world, with by far the coolest OUTSTANDING features, APPLE makes and the rest DUPLICATES!
      Honestly, I've already given up because alot of people are trying to make a nice app, but reality is that it's gotta take a GROUP not an individual to make a frontend that works.... I will be more than willing to pay GOOD MONEY for a frontend THAT WORKS! Has good features and is nice looking.... For now we just gotta wait, till that group shows up!

::JP
      1995 3000GT RED : MIAMI'S HOTTEST 3000GT
      V6King.com - 1st MAC MINI on a 3S

Comment

Originally posted by Qbancash
        Honestly, I've already given up because alot of people are trying to make a nice app, but reality is that it's gotta take a GROUP not an individual to make a frontend that works.... I will be more than willing to pay GOOD MONEY for a frontend THAT WORKS! Has good features and is nice looking.... For now we just gotta wait, till that group shows up!
        Oh I'm soooo gonna do this myself just to prove you wrong. With gusto!

Comment

Originally posted by noodles
          Oh I'm soooo gonna do this myself just to prove you wrong. With gusto!

HEY IF THAT ENCOURAGES YOU! go for it... but to prove me wrong, i need an app that features everything ALL other windows apps can have but MOST IMPORTANT (FULL VIDEO SUPPORT FOR MULTIPLE FORMATS)

Comment

Qbancash, no reputable company has built any frontend at all, arguably!

The best efforts are generaly from individuals and free! (even for the pc) so I dont really see what you are talking about being a "neglected group" because you use a mac...

And about being the best carputer with best os...oh I wont go into all the dicussion but it isnt true... it can be the best for you and the most reliable in your sole opinion, nothing more than that.

I do hope someone comes up with something nice though, but I'd rather have a linux one than a mac one... although it would probably be easily portable to mac if it runs on linux.
            Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
            Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

Comment

Hey guys. Since I am one of those people trying to build on I thought I would chime in. First off I'm not a programmer by nature I just started looking into stuff and got sick of waiting. I would love to work in a group who wanted to do things in a common format and language(probably cocoa since it is native and seems fairly easy). I don't care about money I care about a good app. As for Roy you make a good point. No company has really made an app it has been groups or individuals but mac is a great outlet although I will agree that linux has some strong points. Either way those who ignore the mac mini when trying to build a carputer are really missing out. I get back to school and where my brother is, as well as some other mac gurus that may help in a couple of weeks but any and all help is welcome.
              JDKARR01
              Mac Mini(80 Gb/512Mb mem/Airport/Bluetooth)
              GPS(Route 66-hopefully something better soon)
              DWW-700M
              Progress[still buying stuff]

Comment

hey jdkarr01,

thanks for your effort and comment... I briefly followed your effort through the threads...

I am eagerly waiting for something to come around for the mac... unfortunately I think we are going to be a while out... I havent seen anyone develop at Guino's speed... unless maybe someone can buy him a mac mini and convince him to program Road Runner or similar for the OSx, I think it will be a while...

Also, the lack of GPS for Mac is something that has kept me away. Because I live in brazil and only destinator has maps here, so I'm waiting for something.... the hardware is really car-suggestive... small, cheap, pretty.... I'm all for it, but it is still a while off IMHO...

But I will be a user when it is all ready, dont get me wrong....
                Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4

Comment

I'm not as fast as Guino, but the current state of iGnition took a week from scratch (a couple hours a day). Tomorrow's my last day of work, so I can't stalk these forums like I've been doing the past week. And the next day I'm moving. Then it's serious coding time. Right now I have no Mini or touchscreen at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Qbancash
                    I feel your frustration as well but honestly this isn't going to work, it's not a contest to build an application for the Mac. I'm really upset that till this point there hasn't been a reputable company do a frontend for the mac community. Either we're a few idiots to them or we have just not shown enough interest. I have already emailed almost every company who makes a frontend for windows. I don't like the fact that they are turning down THE WORLD'S BEST CARPUTER , although I'm very proud of Carnetix for putting such a wonderful piece of hardware (p1900).

The MAC has probably the most reliable OS in the world, with by far the coolest OUTSTANDING features, APPLE makes and the rest DUPLICATES!

Blah Blah Blah, Best OS, Best Carputer, Best this, Best that. Outstanding, Duplicated.

All those things, and not a single Front End. Wow, it really is the best.

Dream on. I don't crash. Works perfectly in the car. Front Ends galore. And it's Windows. Poor old me.

Michael
                    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiredwrx
                      Blah Blah Blah, Best OS, Best Carputer, Best this, Best that. Outstanding, Duplicated.

All those things, and not a single Front End. Wow, it really is the best.

Dream on. I don't crash. Works perfectly in the car. Front Ends galore. And it's Windows. Poor old me.

Michael

Enjoy it!

Comment

Originally posted by Wiredwrx
                        And what exactly are you doing in this forum? Keeping an eye on the competition?

Comment

Originally posted by noodles
                          Keeping an eye on the competition?
                          PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                          GammaControl v2.4
                          SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

WiredWRX, wtf?!?! again your gonna jam up a big hate thread??? come on, I was just pointing out that wbancash's statements were a gruesome exageraation, no need for this crap really...

the day there IS a good mac frontend (whenever the hell that happens) it will surely be a good alternative due to its lower cost, good computing performance, small form factor... the OS really plays absolutely no role in our choice of a frontend (especially cause only windows has functinong FEs), we dont ever want to use the OS if we have a good frontend, so we just want something stable, and Windows in its current version is not the most stable. Although I have only had one "system" related crash... it is actually the internet that screws it all up....
                            Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4

Comment

OK so lets forget the politics and competition. If people for some reason like windows then good for them. Windows still has a lot of catching up to do but isnt necessarily terrible if you dont go online with it and aren't trying to do too much. The point being to each his own. Lets get to teh point and that is we need a front end. I will be more than happy to work with anyone I can. Noodles what language are you using. I would love to be able to help you and my brother can help to. I know some people in a development group at the University of Illinois where I go that do mac dev stuff. I will push the idea to them and if they seem to be interested I will get you guys to push them a little. Forget who is better and lets just make something good.
                              JDKARR01
                              Mac Mini(80 Gb/512Mb mem/Airport/Bluetooth)
                              GPS(Route 66-hopefully something better soon)
                              DWW-700M
                              Progress[still buying stuff]

Comment

Working...
                              X