audio w/o a headunit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• audio w/o a headunit

currently im using an extigy, and i dont know if its due to lack of driver support, but its not filling my needs.
    I cannot get CMSS to work (fake 4.1 from a stereo source)
    The volume is too low, i need to crank the mini to get a decent volume, since im in a convertible.
    none of the knobs seem to work

so, im looking for an alternative.

I would like to have more control from my mac, and even some sort of preamping going on, because my amp is decent, but its no 2000watter.

any ideas? am i wasting money and should just get a new set of amp/speakers?
    Mac Mini BMW -- Done! (but always in progress) -- TOTALLED -- Damn lady didn't "see" the redlight

Some options

The imic has line level 2ch output, also good input...have not hooked up mine to the mini or anything as yet as time is a prob. at the moment. Shall pop it straight in the car if the firewave is not out...
    http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/

Really waiting for the firewave (5.1, dolby digital) but its not avail yet. LAst I heard from them was oct..but this has ben put back from the begining of the yr...
    http://www.griffintechnology.com/pro...wave/index.php

HTH

Comment

I played around with the sound and found that the plain stereo out on the mini was perfect for my needs. The level is good to feed my amp. I just used a "Y" to feed my four channels. With my setup the imaging is so good that I don't feel I need more that stereo out. I may try the firewave later on, but really it would only be for curiosity as my setup sounds great to me now.
      7" Lilliput
      1.42 Mac mini (512MB,80GB,Combo,Bluetooth,Airport)
      Carnetix P1900 with CNX-P5V
      Radioshark
      GPS (BU-303)
      Polk MMC 650
      Infinity Kappa 62.7i
      Alpine MRP-F240

Comment

I actually just received my M-Audio Firewire Audiophile. I haven't tested it yet, waiting to get a few more parts for my installation- but it's going to go directly to the amp.

Comment

anthropod- do you directly control your volume from the mac, or does the alpine have a seperate volume control?
          Mac Mini BMW -- Done! (but always in progress) -- TOTALLED -- Damn lady didn't "see" the redlight

Comment

I control the volume from my mac. I was a little surprised with the Mini. You might laugh, but my biggest worry was the startup chime. Sometimes it's volume has a mind of it's own. (If you have to zap the PRAM etc. But.... my mini makes the chime go out its internal speaker. So no worry here. What I did was turn the itunes volume all the way up then turn up the system volume untill it was too loud. (I was going to turn it up till I heard some distortion, but when it was too loud for comfort, I thought that was good enough. Then I control the volume from the apps. itunes etc. I cant tell you how please I am with it. Originally I though I would have to get a head unit or some sort of external volume control. My wife watched a DVD during a recent trip. (I was driving) The sound was fantastic and it was only stereo. (Kill Bill Vol. 1)
            7" Lilliput
            1.42 Mac mini (512MB,80GB,Combo,Bluetooth,Airport)
            Carnetix P1900 with CNX-P5V
            Radioshark
            GPS (BU-303)
            Polk MMC 650
            Infinity Kappa 62.7i
            Alpine MRP-F240

Comment

Originally posted by avidan
              currently im using an extigy, and i dont know if its due to lack of driver support, but its not filling my needs.
              I cannot get CMSS to work (fake 4.1 from a stereo source)
              The volume is too low, i need to crank the mini to get a decent volume, since im in a convertible.
              none of the knobs seem to work

so, im looking for an alternative.

I would like to have more control from my mac, and even some sort of preamping going on, because my amp is decent, but its no 2000watter.

any ideas? am i wasting money and should just get a new set of amp/speakers?
              i have a built in amp in my factory stereo system and didn't want to lose it but like you said it wasn't nearly loud enough. so i installed a clarion eq. it cost me about 100 dollars but boosted the mini's power and gave me better control over the sound. i had my factory head unit taken out and the wiring harness turned into four sets of rca's. i then have the 1/8 inch jac in the back of the mini converting to rca's into the back of the eq. works perfect and sounds great.

the eq boosts the signal of the mini by about 7 amps which is just enough power for me to have good volume control over my mini

Comment

I am looking into putting a mac mini into my car and was thinking of using it for the audio entirely. My thoughts would to connect a 1/8 jack to two RCA's out of the mini. Have the RCA's connect to a four channel amp. Then have the four outputs hook directly to my original speaker wires where an aftermarket HU would normally be. I would then control my audio from iTunes and use their EQ. Does this seem feasible? If so how would the sound quality be? Any recommendations for a four channel amp? The stock HU usually put out 50w to each speaker so a 200w amp?

Comment

Originally posted by jman_97128
                  I am looking into putting a mac mini into my car and was thinking of using it for the audio entirely. My thoughts would to connect a 1/8 jack to two RCA's out of the mini. Have the RCA's connect to a four channel amp. Then have the four outputs hook directly to my original speaker wires where an aftermarket HU would normally be. I would then control my audio from iTunes and use their EQ. Does this seem feasible? If so how would the sound quality be? Any recommendations for a four channel amp? The stock HU usually put out 50w to each speaker so a 200w amp?
                  I've only got a 2 channel HU with aux input but it's running 6 speakers straight from the 1/8" output and it sounds good, better than my old Via Epia M10000. I control volume either from the application or via a Griffin Powermate. I did what anthropod did; turn the Mini up to 100% and crank the stereo until its too loud for comfort, then turn the volume down on the Mini. Works well so far.

I've also got a Griffin iMic on my home Mac connected to desktop speakers and it works quite well and sounds good too. The microphone or line level input is very useful.
                  Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                  I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                  Want to:
                  -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                  -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Originally posted by anthropod
                    I control the volume from my mac. I was a little surprised with the Mini. You might laugh, but my biggest worry was the startup chime. Sometimes it's volume has a mind of it's own. (If you have to zap the PRAM etc. But.... my mini makes the chime go out its internal speaker. So no worry here. What I did was turn the itunes volume all the way up then turn up the system volume untill it was too loud. (I was going to turn it up till I heard some distortion, but when it was too loud for comfort, I thought that was good enough. Then I control the volume from the apps. itunes etc. I cant tell you how please I am with it. Originally I though I would have to get a head unit or some sort of external volume control. My wife watched a DVD during a recent trip. (I was driving) The sound was fantastic and it was only stereo. (Kill Bill Vol. 1)

i know this is a newb question, but i re read this post about a million times... for clarification... you are only using the output from your mini directly to your amp? if so that is great. i am thinking of doing the same thing. also is there any problem if i were to load the front end on my power book to play with before i throw the mini in the car? would hate to have to try and learn while i was driving. thx and a gain sorry for the newb post.

Comment

Right. From the Mini directly to the amp.

And no problem trying it out with your Powerbook first.
                      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                      Want to:
                      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

i am connected mini direct to amp, and the audio output is acceptable, but not quite "loud" enough for when the top is down and im driving to fast
                        it seems the headunit i removed was outputting 6v, and i dont believe the mini puts out that much, so i will have to buy a line driver, line the ones from audiocontrol....
                        i really gotta post some pics already. this mini install is hot....

Comment

Working...
                        X