Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mic / line-in help

Howdy!

I currently looking for one more piece before i put my mini back into my car.
    i'm currently in search of an audio device for my mini. i looking for a device that that gives me the same setup as a desktop. i need:
    1. mic
    2. line in
    3. line out

i must have two seperate inputs a(line-in & mic). from what i can tell the griffin imic has a single line-in/mic input with a toggle switch. this isn't going to work.

i recently purchased a SoundBlaster Mp3+ which had both but it was just like the imic in that you had to flip a switch. is there a usb device that will let me connect both at once, that isn't a professional recording device, or would i be better of purchasing two different imic-s?

If i have my audio device usb does that mean that i can't use the line in and mic input at the same time?

I *thought* that the audio out on the Mini could be used for either audio out or mic in, but I'm not sure where I read that.

If it's true, you could possibly go mic in on that jack and use an iMic for line in and audio out.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

thanks for the reply,

i Haven't heard that but i'll definately check into it as a wonderful possibility

Comment

I don't think there is any audio in. Needs a usb adapter
        05 MINI Cooper Cabrio "Mac MINI"
        progress 95%- Mac Mini, Lilliput 7" , usb-wifi, Rayming GPS, Route 66,easy cat touch pad, CCAR front end"skinned",P1900 power supply

Comment

i know i have to get a usb device....

the question is what mac compatible device has a line-in and a mic jac that can be used simultaneously.

There are tons of devices compatible with microshaft but i can't find one mac specific or one that has mac drivers

HELP?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Comment

I think the iMic should work. I use it for my Skype headset , which has two jack's, one for the mic and one for the speaker. It works simultaneously

Comment

i need a device that has two inputs.....

1. mic
              2. xmpcr

your skype headset speakers are just recieving the system output. instead or using the mac mini output, the sound is being routed to the imic. that isn't going to work for me. if i could reasign the imic output to be a "line through"

(meaning.....the sound coming from my xm device is routed into my mini through the imic and out throught the system output)

........then that would work fine. do you mind checking to see if that's even possible under the audio settings in "system"

if not..............back to the drawing board

Comment

here's what i did.. I bought a Plantronics Audio .45 USB headset Which actually had the 1/8" jacks for both the audio in and out. However.. it came with an actual adapter (that i couldnt find separately hence buying the entire headset) that took the microphone and speaker outputs and converted it to USB. I used that adapter and bought a cheap microphone which took apart, then I installed and hid into the headliner of my car just above the driver's head.

This Plantronics one was plug and play with my Mac Mini and hasn't given me any problems yet.

And if you want 2 inputs I dont see why a regular 1/8" splitter plugged into the microphone portion of the adapter wouldn't work..

Well, that's my 2 cents

Comment

Will OS X allow you to have two USB audio inputs enabled simultaneously? If so, you could hook up two iMic units connected to a USB hub, with one set to line input and the other to mic input, Bob's your uncle, you've got both inputs.

Otherwise you'll need a mixer that combines two inputs into one externally, then feeds it to your Mac as one USB input. It could be a standalone mixer with a line output hooked up to the iMic's line input.

Comment

And what about a combination of a bluetooth Mic (headset) with the iMic for line in and out?

Comment

Same problem

I am having the same problem, I can't get sound out with my XM PCR plugged into my iMic. I checked my sound preference and the iMic is there and when I select it and start my XM PCR, running either MacXM or JXM, the line in indecator starts to jump. I have used a Y cable and that got sound to my head unit but that was a whole new set of problems I'm not very interested in resolving. I have posted this problem to a few other message boards (http://forums.macvroom.com/showthread.php?t=73) and haven't gotten a solution yet. I'm fortunate enough to live or work near 3 Apple retail stores and am planning to go to one today to see if I can get some help from the "expert". I have set up the same scenario on my Powerbook to take with me and hopefully I'll get some answers to post.

Comment

griffin just realest its newer versoin of the iMic, take a look, it has everything you need.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/pro...mic2/index.php

Comment

Originally posted by mac'd truck
                          I am having the same problem, I can't get sound out with my XM PCR plugged into my iMic. I checked my sound preference and the iMic is there and when I select it and start my XM PCR, running either MacXM or JXM, the line in indecator starts to jump. I have used a Y cable and that got sound to my head unit but that was a whole new set of problems I'm not very interested in resolving. I have posted this problem to a few other message boards (http://forums.macvroom.com/showthread.php?t=73) and haven't gotten a solution yet. I'm fortunate enough to live or work near 3 Apple retail stores and am planning to go to one today to see if I can get some help from the "expert". I have set up the same scenario on my Powerbook to take with me and hopefully I'll get some answers to post.
                          This is what initially started my search. i haven't tried the imic with my xm pcr but i was having the exact same problem with another device.

Since you have the imic do a little trouble shooting for us. under /aplications/utilities/Midi (i think..i'm at work and don't have my mac in front of me) there is a place you can cange your audio profiles. i tried doing this to get my xm pcr working, but to no avail. BUT, i was using "sound blaster mp3+" which isn't "mac Compatible". but please let us know your results.

Originally posted by rdag
                          griffin just realest its newer versoin of the iMic, take a look, it has everything you need.

Thanks. i've seen this but it's not what i'm looking for. i need a usb device with three line jacks.
                          1. mic
                          2. line in
                          3. speakers

I don't want to have to change cords or flip a switch to get my sound to work. But i'll probably end up just getting the new imic. I LOVE the new design. it doesn't look so....."word"....!cheap!

Comment

I visited the Genius Bar at my local Apple Store and here's a quote from one of the genius' "I have absolutely no idea how to do that". One of the other ones said (this is my favorite) "You installed a Mac in your truck...you're a bigger geek than me and I work at a Apple store!" So other than minor insult/compliment, nothing. Next I called a buddy of mine that is a sound mixer and a huge mac head. He came up with some solutions that would probably work but aren't cheap http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FirewireSolo/ I'm hesitant to spend $200 bucks on this, I could just buy a new receiver with XM built in for a little more than that and I don't want to be stuck with this thing if it doesn't work. I did start to look for other solutions along the hardware lines too and I did find that there are a few things that will process out 5.1 surround sound which isn't exactly what we're looking for but they are cheaper. Here are some links, have a look and let me know if anyone knows why this will or won't work.
                            http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...ater-main.html
                            http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main.html
                            http://unitedpage.hypermart.net/3cho...ter/page2.html
                            http://www.griffintechnology.com/pro...wave/index.php

The new iMic looks promising but no where in the description does it say anything about a pass through or monitor mode. I think that's going to require a software solution too.
                            Since you have the imic do a little trouble shooting for us. under /aplications/utilities/Midi (i think..i'm at work and don't have my mac in front of me) there is a place you can cange your audio profiles. i tried doing this to get my xm pcr working, but to no avail. BUT, i was using "sound blaster mp3+" which isn't "mac Compatible". but please let us know your results.
                            I tried the apps/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup and nothing. I've been working on this problem on my Powerbook just because it's easier to work on than laying across the front seat of my truck and working on a 7"touch screen. I mention this because the Midi setup worked on my laptop, sort of. PBs have an input jack so when you choose the Audio Device tab you can choose Built-in Audio properties in the pull down menu and than you can click the Thru box in the Audio Input area. You can then use your input jack for pass through. I never got it to play through the iMic though. So i went to my truck to check this out, still not promising but I just wanted to check. When I brought up the Audio Midi Setup window the Audio Input box was empty except the message "No Audio Input Supported".

Comment

Working...
                            X